Can you live in France on £750 per month?

Hi
My wife is French we are thinking of renting out our house here about £450 - £500 per month plus small pension income of £300 per month.
We could raise about £50,000 to buy a "fix me up" property in France.
Where are the cheapest regions to buy and live?
'Cos of my age I'm not optimistic of finding a job and I know self-employment in France is not as easy as here in the U.K.
Do you reckon we could survive on that income?
Thanks
TheOldGranny

Hi,
Great idea to come to France.

I lived in Paris, nancy, I know Metz, Strasbourg, Dijon, Biarritz, Bayonne and I live in Pau. The basque side is a bit expensive.
Pau is where most of expats live, thanks to Total, Safran and other companies.
Pau is well served by London , and the nearest airport is Lourdes with Ryanair or Bordeaux or Tolouse.
Then we have the mountain, like Gourette, artuste and the midi Pyrenees near Lourdes.

Try to think that with a rent of 550 euros, the French government will provide you at least 230 euros, if you finds job. Otherwise you have to pay everything.

Also, all the agencies required a sponsor who confirm that you will pay the rent. This sponsor must be a French one.

Pau, is not so much expensive and there are so many advantages for people with low income, like bus, basket, sports and so on. I paid the annual basket forfait 65 euros with playoffs.

On the web site of the European community you will find all the information before leaving UK, in order to have some advantages and transfer your UK rights  in France.
So, you could transfer your retreats through France, having the advantages of French people.

You cold easily buy a small flat around Pau, and trust me, prices are not expensive, with 50000 pounds you definitely will buy something good.

If you can, download the application of the European Commission.

If you need more, just let me know.

Bye

Achille

Hi Achille
Thanks for the info.
We are self-employed at the moment I am 58 yrs old. Don't think I would have much chance of getting a job at that age!
At least we both speak French - well the wife obviously speaks better than me dual Nationality too!
I don't know the Tax rates etc.. but if we buy a property at least we wont have to rent.

Hi, could you be more specific on what you are looking for .
sandrine

I think £750 would only allow you the life of a hermit. Think 100 € for local taxes. Then there is electricity, gas, internet, insurance ..... Then there is health insurance - no work here means no health cover, and your latest UK social security payments would only cover you for 2 years. No mention of a car yet either. Not really recommended.

Hi,

been there... stay home! France is excellent if you have money/job and all your paperwork in order: 2 people to live decently in France need no less than €2,000 a month.

In France you might become a "sans papier" in the blink of an eye and at that point you are just lost to the system and invisible to the people, and you find yourself selling the "Macadam Journal" at the red-lights.

If you don't have a real income stay away from France.

Best,
Pino

Hi
Thanks a lot for all your replies.
Lot to think about, seems the world is shrinking more and more, moving is not as easy as it used to be.
Recession, Immigration, Spiralling costs, Social Unrest........