Guns in Egypt

Is it illegal to have a gun in Egypt? If I'm a gun owner in America can I bring my gun there or is that a major offense?

You will first need to get a license from the ministry of the interior.

You can do it but it takes a long time to get approval and it's not a cheap process.  I'm a licensed gunsmith in WA State and have a carry permit but don't carry or feel the need to carry in Egypt.  I've never felt concerned about my safety there but would be concerned about having or using a gun there.  They have police all over the place and a lot of them are nervous new recruits and are carrying loaded weapons.  One of the guys I used to camp with was a security officer from the American Embassy there and wouldn't carry off duty because he figured that if they saw a gun they'd shoot first and ask questions later.  I've camped alone in the desert and never felt unsafe, though most of the locals out there recognize me now.  Being a good host/guest goes a lot further for your security in Egypt than anything.  For example, when I'm camping I always take the time to set up the teapot and offer tea (with plenty of sugar!) and cookies, or a bottle of water even in the middle of the night.  I highly recommend using a buddy system, especially for women.  It's more fun anyway.

It doesn't sound like it's worth it and that shoot now ask later is probably dead on...I'm not a gun nut or anything...I just own a gun and don't know what I'll do with it if I accept the job in Cairo...probably give it to a family member or something...thanks for the info