Moving to PR

Hello...we are a family with children that are planning on moving to the Dorado area. My husband will be working in Hato Rey. Can anyone tell me how the commute is?

Thank you!

Familyof5 wrote:

My husband will be working in Hato Rey. Can anyone tell me how the commute is?

In the rush hour, by car? Bad!
At least one hour but more likely two hours. (one way)

Yikes! Yes by car. Is there any other type of transportation? i know there is a commuter train, but not sure if it passes by or near Dorado.

Familyof5 wrote:

Yikes! Yes by car. Is there any other type of transportation? i know there is a commuter train, but not sure if it passes by or near Dorado.

No, the train is in a different area.
They are working on (or maybe it's opened already) a special bus lane going into town from the west. So theoretically that could be an option. But if that bus doesn't go on to Hato Rey it won't really help I'm afraid.

If the commute is a main concern you might re-consider where you are going to live. Guaynabo would be a very good option..

We have considered it but thought the communities in Dorado were better suited for us. Although my husband and I were both born and raised in PR, we have been stateside (New Jersey and New York) for the past 12 years. We are from the east side of the island and visit 4 times a year so that our children enjoy the beautiful things the island has to offer. We rarely travel during rush hour or know what it is like - so any information, advise is highly appreciated! Commuting is not a huge issue, my husband commutes into NYC everyday, but 2 hours is a bit too much!

Familyof5 wrote:

Commuting is not a huge issue, my husband commutes into NYC everyday, but 2 hours is a bit too much!

Well, you might try to come over for a short stay and do a test drive from Dorado to Hato Rey during rush hour..

You can't have it all, I guess - either living where you would like it best or a short commute.

I personally would choose for the latter but that's just me. :)

Thank you! What is considered rush hour in the AM and PM?

Gary is right - commuting around the SJ metro area is a nightmare. That said, commuting from the East has improved greatly with the opening of Route 66. Commuting to Hato Rey wasn't too bad coming from Isla Verde before 8am or from Old San Juan at really any hour of the morning because you're going against traffic. Otherwise, I'd follow Gary's advice and consider (eastern ) Guaynabo (and also Mira Mar or Cupey). Best of luck!

Familyof5 wrote:

Thank you! What is considered rush hour in the AM and PM?

The worst time is roughly from 6-9 in the AM and 4-7 in the PM.

Depends on the time... usually 45 minutes.  But they are opening a new super highway speed lane (cost extra) shortly.  My husband works in Guaynnabo and takes him usually 30-45 minutes at 7:30 am.

check out []

A new relocation company that specializes in the Dorado area!

Hi wende,

could you please recommend this new agency in the business directory ?

thanks

Commuting to SJ from Dorado is all about timing.  I've been in Dorado since 2003.  If you leave @ 6:10 AM you'll be in Hato Rey in 30 Minutes....If you leave Dorado at 6:15 AM you'll be in Hato Rey in 1 1/2 Hours.  Try not to fall into the routine of the other million people trying to make it into work, school,Dr appointment, at the very same time.  Plan ahead.  I much prefer to get to my destination early and kill time relaxing versus white knuckle traffic fighting the whole way.  The choice is yours.

Yo vivia a 30 minutos de Dorado y crème por mas 11 anos tuve que madrugar a las 4:30 am para poder llegar con calma y sin ajoros a Bayamon a las 7:00 am.  El trafico en Puerto Rico es pesimo ya que el gran problema es que no seguimos las reglas de trafico y por lo tanto se crea mas tapon como se dice en el buen espanol de Puerto Rico.  Pero vivir en Dorado lo vale...es bellisimo.

I agree but could you please write in English?  Thanks!