"Belizean-Style" House wanted SOON

We are looking to move to Belize at the end of this year of the beginning of next. Our time is flexible and our needs are simple. We have been looking for a "Belizean style" house for many, MANY, months now and can't seem to get the idea across to agents and property managers. SIMPLE! is the idea. A/C not necessary, interior simple, no frills, just a plain house with a yard. The "unfinished" Mennonite houses look great, but finding one has proven difficult. The exterior is much more important to us. We need a garden space and fenced yard for dogs. Maybe a place for a few chickens. Simple, simple, SIMPLE!

Can anyone give me a heads up on a place for sale cheap or a rental or agent that can get us there?  Thanks in advance.

I should add that if its a rental we will try almost anywhere in the country. The long term plan involves Ambergris Caye, but for now getting there is more important. Thanks again.

Hello doglady.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Thank you so much. In typical Belizean fashion; a fast and warm welcome. Makes me want to move down today. I look forward to learning a lot here. Hope everyone's are ready.

Thanks again for the quick Hello. It makes me think that the GIANT leap we are about to take is very much worth it!

Hello doglady,
I want to welcome you too.
But not exparter , but workin on it :)
I wish you luck with looking for house to rent.

Thank you 88mimi. I appreciate the well wishes. Does anyone know if there is a regular meeting or group of expats to help a person get through some of the transitional stuff?

We were in San Ignacio for the Christmas/Mayan Calendar celebrations and found quite a large amount of Americans, Canadians and Europeans at some of the local restaurants. Was that a tourist thing or is there a large expat population in San Ignacio?

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to meeting you all next year.

Hey Doglady,

Welcome!!!!

San Ignacio is always crawling with expats... residents and visitors!!!

What size house you looking for?

We're looking for a 1 bedroom, 1 bath, 400-700 sq feet. We need at least one room that is separate- we have dogs that don't get along so we keep them separated. Other than that; very, VERY, simple.

Hi doglady,
Sound interesting and tempting information about the meeting.
As I will be in Belize, I hope soon, I shall gladly join with all of you .
Please take care.

What about parking a motor home somewhere in or near San Ignacio? Corozal? We have looked at the RV park in Corozal but we need a fenced yard. We have a motor home that is in great working order and have considered living in it while we look for a place.  Is there an RV park there or maybe a lot for rent that we could put some electric on and plug in? Maybe someone with a larger property that would like to have an area fenced and electric ran to it in exchange for a lease? Suggestions?

Also; my husband wants to drive it from the states but I think its too dangerous to drive a vehicle of that size through Mexico. So far the cost is about the same to have it shipped as it would be to drive it--- I vote shipping!

We want to thank everyone for the excellent advice. We have been considering this for 6 years and are finally going to jump in.

Hello doglady, we will be vacating our little cottage, in July. It will be available. The yard is fenced, there is another yard, that would be great for a garden. The owner, owns the lot behind this one, too & he's easy. He can clear you out a patch for a larger garden. It's a really cool place. Has ceiling fans, in all the rooms & no a/c. He pays all the electric, house water, keeps up the yard, & around it. There is a driveway, that has concrete & the main driveway is used daily, so it's all rocky. Not bad. Do you want the realtor's name & number? Oh... It's just about 6 miles west of San Ignacio & 1 mile from San Jose Succotz (Where Xunantunich Mayan ruin is located). If you do not have a vehicle, the buses run every 1/2 hour or so, both ways. Sometimes they aren't on time, or running very fast, but that's why we live in Belize! No worries! Let me know about anything & I'll try to help. Good luck! Annie

you deal with  the local and u get better deals

Hello Jettz,
Could I ask how much rent was at your little cottage?
How is the cost of living in that area?
Also could you tell me about the medical services avail in the area. eg.ambulance, hospital, dr's?

Thanks for your help

Chris and Suzie

Thanks everyone. We're planning a trip in October we'll do some checking while we are there. Any ideas on rental companies or agents or .....to check while we're in the area? Much appreciated.

[Moderated: pls post your advert in the housing section]

I too is building in Belize. My house should be available by the time you are in Belize. My place is in Corozal. The Home Owner Association is NOT FRIENDLY at all. To stay in my place, you have to be my friend to stay in my place.
Yes... my house is a belize mennonite house 20 x 40 ft. with 3 bedrooms.
I am planning to plant many fruit bearing trees. But no garden and no chicken.
I am planning to go and get it ready in July.
Please let me know if you are still interested.
I think I was in the similar situation as you are right now.
Regards,
Kenneth Fung