No new members since early 2011???

I'm a brand new subscriber, looking to make contact with expatriates in Greece but every other expat entry is from a year or two or three ago with no communication since. Contacts that old are pretty much dead contacts. I dind't even try to reach them! It feels that this blog has withered at least for Greece. Tell me I'm wrong! I'd prefer that to the alternative. -thanks

Hi nixterman,

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board. I hope your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative.

Sorry, but I have to ask you this... are we both talking about the SAME Greece Forum? see link: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=314 because from what I can see there are all kinds of new members and the forum is quite active.

If you're trying to contact people via the private message system perhaps that's because you're not participating enough in the forums to have your messaging privileges activated yet. Do you get an error message when trying to send PMs? Also many people simply block their mailboxes because they're fed up with unsolicited junk messages and SPAM. Copy & Paste messages will also get your message privileges locked out by the Anti-Spam system.

If you're sending out unsolicited messages to people you don't even know, it's not realistic to expect that you're going to get flooded with replies. Many members don't even open those anymore since they've given up on it because of the "Hi, I love your profile and would love to get to know you. Maybe we can get together" or worse still that they keep getting.

Another factor could simply be the current economic situation in Greece.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Oh, and another advantage of participating in the forums more is that people will get to know you better and be more likely to want to establish friendships.

Also the more you participate the larger the capacity of your mailboxes (both inbox and sent) become.

Cheers

Hi WJ,

No not that list. this one: https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/greece/

Every member there is from the "past". I don't get how this conflicts with the one u pointed out which I looked at first, saw nothing appropriate to respond to and followed the page I listed to look for individual members. Last posts were mostly in 2010, some in 09, 11 and 12 but none in 13. I have sent no messages, just observed the statistics. They were so old that they did not elicited my desire to make contact.

If no ones is around then who am i talking to other than you?? :)

Hi Nixterman,

You're looking at the Greece Forum breakdown by nationality which can be quite restricted yes.

If you look at the active forum I'm sure you'll find enough new friends there to keep you going for a very long time.

Not surprising because of the economic situation that lots of members have simply vanished from the forum altogether.

Cheers

Hello, Nixterman! I have nothing to do with Greece, but out of curiosity from your post, I went into the Greece Forum.  It has been quite active this week, including a couple of posts from today.  You might want to start a thread over there and see how that goes. :idontagree:

Good luck!

Thanks for your interest Larry. Please look at my comment to WJ beginning with "No not that one..." The list of members follows my point. The forum u r talking about shows activity but I'm not sure who those people are since they don't show on the list I am talking about where they should be; I can't figure out how they can be blogging when they are not on the list. Even so, the activity might be of some level but the content is very poor.

the last thing i wanted is to join a blog and then complain about it. But I was hoping that someone might point me in a different direction; so far that hasn't seemed to be the case. I wanted to find english speaking people here to network and make friends with. I don't see where I would find them on this sight. There is not a lot out there right now and WJ might be right that everyone has fled the appearance of a sinking ship. But that looks like its already turning around. I expected to see poor tourist numbers, but all forecasts imply record number of visitors this season. Though off season right now, I visited the Archeological museum just this week and if was pretty crowded!

If you're looking to make new English speaking friends then the best place for you to do that is in the Greece Forum that I gave you the link for. Take if from somebody who has been around here for a good long time.

Post a topic, introduce yourself and tell the other members a bit about yourself. You'll get all kinds off replies.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

OK thanks WJ!

Will do!

This forum, that forum.  It's all Greece to me.

Yes, me too. Am I in the right forum? So many forums.

I went to Rome once.  There was a nice forum there.

Am new and everywhere is all cool

Find activities and meet other expats

OR