Taking photos in Albania

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dave :) I was wondering if you might all be able to offer me some advice :)

I will be travelling (driving) from Bulgaria to Albania, via Macedonia in a few weeks time - to the south of the country as it happens. I'm somewhat of a keen photographer, so i'm keen to capture 'things' especially so as no-one I know here in the UK has been to Albania. It's very much an unknown and exciting quantity in that regard. If the countryside is anything like Macedonia I am expecting it to be very spectacular [hopefully more so!]

My experience thus far from Skopje especially as I had visited the more Albanian populated areas was that I seemed to generate a disproportionate amount of interest wondering around with a camera: was I from the press? (no, no i'm just nosy :) ), why did I have a camera? (I think these buildings look cool). People where interested to see what I was doing, which is perfectly fine by me, for me it's about seeing the world in a totally different way.

I've been doing a bit of reading around. From what I have read Albania is a welcoming place and people like to talk to people (which i'm cool with), so to help show people what I do, i've taken the rather unusual step of printing little business cards - so people can see what I do as a hobby.

I'm keen not to offend anyone, but at the same time i'd like to take as many shots as I can. So would you guys be able to help me out a bit with the following questions:

- Are there any things I should particularly avoid taking pictures of? (Police, Military things are a total no-no of course).

- Normally I like to chat to people (granted there's a language barrier), but is it likely people will take great umbridge at asking if I can take their photo?

- Are there any things I should try to take pictures of?

- Are there any other cultural sensitivities I should be aware of?

With best wishes,
Dave

P.S. I'm more than happy to share the pictures with you guys after I am back :)

Hello Dave,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

What you will see in Albani

What to see:
- The Mosque of Ethem Bey is situated just at the centre of Tirana. It was constructed in 1789. Together with the Clock Tower (1830) they make an important historic part of Tirana.
- Ministries represent architectonic values. They were built in the year 1930, when Albania was a kingdom. After the Second World War several buildings were erected: The Palace of Culture, The Palace of Congresses, The National Historic Museum, The Centre of International Culture etc.
- The bridge of Tabakeve is situated along the boulevard “Zhan Dark”. It belongs to the XVIII century.
- The fortress of Pertrela. It is located at south of Tirana on the right side of national road linking capital with the city of Elbasan. It was built up by the middle age. The castle was under the command of Scanderbeg sister, Mamica Kastrioti. Petrela castle used to control the Egnatia road, the Durres - Tirane branch, a part that for that time had a particular importance.

google.al/search?q=vlora&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=umniUcDwPIa74ASoroCYCg&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=662#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=a-vr-TsQJ1mdWM%3A%3BwiNm8aBVhfmAfM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia-cdn.tripadvisor.com%252Fmedia%252Fphoto-s%252F01%252F1b%252F48%252F72%252Fvlora-beach.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.com%252FLocationPhotoDirectLink-g678774-i18565234-Vlore_Vlore_County.html%3B550%3B412

What do u think for this place???Its soo beautiful.