A DAY IN THE LIFE

Too funny!  Institute -  I actually can imagine everything you are going thru.  Thank goodness you seem to have a sense of humor about it all,  it can save your sanity!

ahhh yes, we live, we learn.
Merry Christmas all!

Another speed bump in paradise!   As some know we have had to cut back staff in the business. The owner is American and he had a vision of growth that is just not sustainable at the moment.  Nice way of saying its harder then he thought. So, we have had to let some people go! 

We have a processing facility / biodiesel production plant here in La Romana.  When we process our corn harvest we bring in temporary staff.  Once the corn harvest is done they are out of work.  That is the deal. 

This morning I was woken by my cell phone very early.  We were robbed at our processing facility.   Yikes. Off I go.  Well  stage two of the process has the corn lifted to the roof of the building where it is sorted, tumbled and then it passes down thru a hole in the roof into a hopper.  Someone or someones  stole two of the  three motors on the roof.  They knew exactly what they were doing, brought the right tools and did not cut or destroy anything, they disassembled things and made off with the two motors!   We are pretty sure it was the temporary  staff or one of the permanent staff we let go, or some combination of that!  It was clearly an inside job.

Now we decide how to proceed.  We can go to the police,  pay money for them to do absolutely nothing. OR we take matters into our own hands ,  hire an individual who will find out for us who did it!   

It is unfortunate and it is reality.  You just cannot trust anyone at all.  We do our best to treat people fairly,  pay higher then average wages and of course pay full liquidation and Christmas pay! It feels horrible when this type of thing happens!   

Now I really need a vacation!

That isn't a bump in the road, it is a sinkhole!  You need to hire a Gypsy Consultant to ferret out the evil doers & cast an evil spell upon their miserable lives that will follow them to the end of their days. It is not Santoria nor Voo Doo, but the focusing of natures energy in a negative way upon the bad guys.  It turns their negative energy back upon themselves. Just a simple redirection of forces. To paraphrase an oft used quote, "Garbage out,,, Garbage in".          Sage advice from the "Tinker"

Thanks Tinker!

What a horrible Christmas present Planner.
No watchman or cameras?
Do what you have to do.

I  have a watchiman and two  rottweilers  on site,  no cameras there, its on the roof.  Carumba!

So, inside job. What a shame.
So very sad.
Good luck, you're due!
Tom.

I have been here in Santiago since Saturday. Wish I could have helped. Hope to see some of you in PP next Sunday.

Barring any other  crisis, you will see me!!!! YAYYYYY  and welcome back to Paradise....

Groby, may your spirits soar with the eagles.     The Wingman is with you,  Su regalo es mucho amour proximo anyo.   See, ny spelling sucks in Spanish too!

Gracias mi hermano de vida. Eres mi compañero de la jornada de muchísimo esperanza. Un dia va a estar mi privilegio tenerle ser me guía aquí en la isla de paraíso.  Siga le con mucho gusto mi amigo mejor.

Oh Planner so typical here.  I agree about the police unless you have one in your pocket.  This is the worst time of year for robberies there is all that holiday shopping after all. 

Enjoy your well deserved vacation.

Bob K

Oh Planner so typical here.  I agree about the police unless you have one in your pocket.  This is the worst time of year for robberies there is all that holiday shopping after all. 

Enjoy your well deserved vacation.

Bob K

OK  I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems a  couple of times a day at super Pola during Xmas week they randomly pick a customer to WIN.  So I was checking out the other day and all of a sudden music started blaring, folks came over and started clapping and dancing.  I had won...the prize was the amount that I spent was FREE.  They gave me points to use in the next 15 days.  My bill was $2700RD and I got that in points...  Too bad it was not the day before as we spent over $4000RD on Xmas goodies for the staff.  But not upset I have never won anything and I will gladly take the $2700 in free shopping.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob K

Wow how cool Bob,  congrats!

Spent most of it already on a food basket (that we make up) for our house staff to take home with them yesterday.

Bob K

Well true to her word Planner was at el carey at Costumbrar playa on the 27th. She might of thought it strange that an awkward guy with a Oregon State beaver hat and sunglasses was staring her down. When the shades came off she recognised me, stood and welcomed me with a warm hug.  Meeting my new native DR wife we were treated to a beverage and we shared a bit of our nuptial event with her and quickly headed off to our short luna miel.  Thank you again Dalene for your kind words and accomidating us on short notice. Hope to see you soon love.

OH MIghty 57, you know my thoughts & feelings of love are with you both,,,,,,,,,

Congrats and glad you got to meet Planner.

Bob K

Congrats Grosby 57 !!  I wish you lots of happiness !

That's great Bob !! I witnessed it a couple of times these past 2 weeks ! Very happy for you ! My neighbor was one of the lucky one too !  I never won but I had so many points and stickers, I was able to buy lots of everyday dishes( which I did not have) for very cheap..

Yes the points and stickers were great if you needed dishes this past couple of months.

I got some good pots and pans that way for our staff that way a few years ago.

Bob K

Yes, CONGRATULATIONS Greg!
If I wasn't still suffering from gripe
we would have been there too!
It's almost gone now, after 3 shitty weeks!
Happy new year all!
Tom.

Glad you are feeling better.  Happy New Year to you as well.

Bob K

After driving into the heart of Santo Domingo today and returning to the monument of Santiago this afternoon for a photo shoot í am frazzled. I guess because í rent a car from a sindicante driver with a transport decal on it gives me traffic favors. The battery fell of of the tray and everything stopped. Within seconds there were 4 to 5 other transport cars with drivers with wrenches in hand giving me needed assistance. Things came to a standstill until í was on my way. The syndicate of transporters in Santiago know this white guy who navigates their topography like a ghost. Even a few in Santo Domingo know me now. Ha. With four touches, in three days, they were all just part of the inner city hustle of give and take. This advice is not for anyone who does not drive for a living in arcade conditions. Happy New Year everyone.

Glad things are going well for you!

That is exactly how my wife describes driving here...."like a live video game"

Bob K

It was a pleasure to meet you Groby and your lovely wife.  Your gift was so thoughtful honey, thank you.  You have found a keeper. I look forward to getting to know you both.

I've managed to meet up with a few people on this trip! And I'm still here another ten days or so. Still a trip to Cabrera coming up, likely Tuesday!!!

How long is drive Puerto Plata to Cabrera boys?

Drive is easy are road in pretty good shape.

You coming to Sosua or Cabarete this week?

Bob K

Take your time love and stay right when going through PP on 5. Trucks clog the left lane turning into PP. You get green arrows in the right lane. Watch for Sosua signs at the big round about. Weave through this and your free. After pass Playa Dorado it's a fairly simple drive. Sousa, then on ahead. Allow 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 min for an enjoyable drive. If you have your hand on the horn and a transport car, well a different experience for sure.  Be safe... Oh, the Field of Dreams? Just keep going....ha ha.

2 hours Planner! With no bar stops1
Actually, a stop is suggested just east of Gaspar Hernandes.
A new restaurant on the beach called White Castle!
It's a bit more than half way.
Tom.

I would follow Thomas's advice.

You are such a nice guy Bob.. Your staff is lucky to have you !!
Happy New year to you and Pat !

Thanks.  Same to you two and again Welcome to your new home!

Bob K

Ok, a question to the highly experienced and educated DR group.............. and yes I'm probably in the wrong area but.....

- we are looking to refinish / repaint our swimming pool.    We do NOT want to keep repainting every 2 to 3 years so does anyone have any advise as to 'what' to do?     Is there a 'top-of-the-line' product out there for pool coating?    Should a person simply tile the entire pool floor and walls?     I'm definitely looking forward to hearing your recommendations !!      Happy New Year everyone !!

The answer is YES!  Use a product called pool brite.  It is a fine stucco type product.  The pool surface has to be prepared before installing.  We have guy that has done most of the pools in your area.  We painted our pool 3 times in the first 3.5 years and not once in the last 5 since using this.

Bob K

Awesome!!      Bob can you PM me with this gentleman's contact information?      You're the best!!

Is this pool brite a similar product to marmolina, the coating product l hear mentioned in my community.

Dave I have to find his card. I will send  you the info in the morning.

Bob K