Cat to Spain HELP ! Is a Rabies vac needed

Hi

Am moving to Spain (Asturias) on 25/4, which is great...

We have a cat we have to take with us permenantly.

I have been told the Cat needs a Rabies vac which I cannot get till next week, then the Cat has to wait 21 days for the vaccine to become active.

The big problem is that we travel before - on the 25/4 because of my work contract, and our cat will not be ready.

I have seen a lot of literature that says basically that:

A rabies vaccination is usually compulsory, although this doesn't apply to accompanied pets (including dogs and cats) coming directly from the UK.  This makes sense as the Cat will NOT be returning to  the UK and the UK is rabies free - so why vaccanate ?

It will be enormously expensive to leave the cat here then come back just to pick her up and then return to Spain !

Any one have any ideas please ?
I have
1. Phoned Brittany Ferries who tell me they are not sure - contact DEFRA
2. As it is Saturday I cannot of course, so this is turning everything into a bit of a nightmare of uncertainty..

many thanks

Peter

email [email protected]

I don't think you will need a rabies vac. for your cat, unless you want to take it back to the UK.  In which case you need six months to get it vaccinated and to cover the rabies quarantine period (so you don't have to put it in to quarantine when it goes back to the UK) before you take it back to the UK.

My daughter took a Spanish dog to the UK, and had it vaccinatged 6 months before she travelled.  She then had to take it to a vet within 48 hrs before getting to the UK, for a booster.  As she was sailing from Santander she took it to a vet in Santander before boarding the ship.

Certainly you can bring a dog to Spain without a vac. A question like this is best asked of your local Vet.  They will know exactly what the rules are. 

It may be your informant was thinking that, as there is the possibility of rabies in Spain, you should get your cat vaccinated before bringing it out.  However, I live in the country in Spain and have never heard of a rabid dog or cat, although there are foxes and wild bore roaming about.

Thank you so much ! There seems to be confusion in the UK about this - even by DEFRA who assume when you say "Pet to spain" that the pet is coming back - which is not always the case of course

Many thanks