Pet insurance - How does it work in Spain? Can you recommend?

Hello there

I have a 3 yr old Bichon Frise, and have had pet insurance since he was a pup - with Allianz in Ireland.

Now with me going to live in Spain, how do I get pet insurance for him? Allianz do not offer insurance for Spain.

Any advice greatfully received

Thanks, Laura

I have two cats but I don't have the answer to your question.  Maybe someone will respond with a more helpful reply.  Until then, I suggest if you're already in Spain that you ask at the vet.  They should know what companies offers pet insurance.  I'm from the USA and have found in the years I've lived here that veterinary costs are so much lower than in the US that I personally see no reason to buy pet insurance.  Good luck.

dvoratreis wrote:

I have two cats but I don't have the answer to your question.  Maybe someone will respond with a more helpful reply.  Until then, I suggest if you're already in Spain that you ask at the vet.  They should know what companies offers pet insurance.  I'm from the USA and have found in the years I've lived here that veterinary costs are so much lower than in the US that I personally see no reason to buy pet insurance.  Good luck.

Hello there
Thanks so much for your reply. I am not in Spain yet, but I am coming over tomorrow (14th) for a few weeks whilst I look for work. I will definitely get in touch with the vets over there. Thanks agin.

Hi Laura,
I have had my dog insured with Protectapet since he was a puppy. i have only ever had to make one claim, but it seemed to work pretty efficiently. The premiums stay the same every year for the life of the dog.
protectapet.eu
Best of luck,
Victoria

PS. from Victoria, it seems to be a British run company and all business is done in English

victoriaharp wrote:

Hi Laura,
I have had my dog insured with Protectapet since he was a puppy. i have only ever had to make one claim, but it seemed to work pretty efficiently. The premiums stay the same every year for the life of the dog.
[link under review]
Best of luck,
Victoria

Hi there Victoria

Thanks a million for your reply. I am actually leaving for Spain in 3 hours!! I am going over for about 3 weeks, on a jobhunt, but will also be looking into the other 101 things to research for my eventual move. It is handy to know that the premiums stay the same. Hopefully, I will be more able to sort something out for Buddy prior to making the move. Cheers, Laura

Good luck with the move and the job hunt!

Hi Victoria

Just an update for you. I have found employment, with a contract and social security etc. I am moving out to Oliva, Valencia in Nov/Dec 2014.

Take care,
Laura

Hi,
Most people here do not get insurance for pets. Vets are not so expensive here, some 100 euros once a year for a checkup and all the vaccines. 600  for a cataract intervention.
Mind you here it is compulsory that your pet carries a chip (150 ), but I guess that it is also compulsory in the UK.
Also I advise you to get a civil claim/liability insurance, just in case your pet chews someone's toe, or gets involved in a dog fight and for example an elderly person gets some damage, for example after a fall.
Cheers

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Recommend in the business directory please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct