Moving my dog to Spain

Hello all
My name is Jess and I am a cancer patient. Knowing that cannabis is legal in Spain, my family and I are looking at relocating to Spain perminantly. This is so I can grow my plants and treat my cancer in the long term.
There is only 1 problem; I have a 50kg German shepherd and I am NOT leaving him in the UK, where I go he goes. He is a big soppy dog and would never pose a threat to anyone, however I need to know what regulations the government may impose on having a dog of this size entering the country?

Would I be able to bring him with me? Or shall I just give up now xx

Thanks Jess

Hi,

I am sorry I do not know exactly how to bring your dog, but I am sure you can I know a lot of people who did, including my mother who came here 2 weeks with our 2 dogs.
So do not worry it is possible you just have to check which papers you need if you need translation etc

After for a big dog in the cities, you might need a muzzle to go out with him ...

Good luck!

There are different rules in Spain to other European countries when it comes to dangerous dogs. Dogs are not banned in the way they are in the UK but the owners and those walking a dangerous dog in Spain must be licensed.   

The law that governs this is the law Real Decreto 287/2002. It includes a list of potentially dangerous dogs or ‘perros potencialmente peligrosas' (PPP). This includes the pit bull terrier, rottweiler,  Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, dogo argentino, fila brasileiro, Tosa Inu, and Akita Inu. Owners of these dogs must have a licence wherever they are in Spain.

However, different autonomous communities have added their own breeds to those considered to be potentially dangerous and you should check the local laws that apply to you. For example, the Valencian community has added to the core list of PPP the Doberman, Bullmastiff, dogo de burdeos, perro de presa canario, perro de presa mallorquin and the Mastin Napolitano. The law applies to dogs in Spain that are more than three months old and cross breeds too.

Even if your dog is not officially one of the listed breeds but has the following characteristics, you might require a licence:

Muscular, agile, powerful
Short hair
Strong character
Thoracic perimeter between 60 and 80cm and height at the withers between 40 and 70
Weighing above 20kg
Large head with muscular and pronounced cheeks
Strong, large jaws
Wide neck, short and muscled
Large chest, short, muscular back
Muscular hindquarters
The law is based on the assumption that it isn't the dog that is dangerous in itself but the way that it is handled that can create a danger to others. It is the owner that must prove to the authorities in Spain that he or she is fit to be in charge of a potentially dangerous animal. 

If this applies to you
If you do own one of these dogs then they must be muzzled when you are out in a public place. You must also have your dog microchipped, insured, its vaccinations must be up-to-date and you must have a licence. The insurance is perhaps the easiest to acquire and comes in at around €30 a year. The licence is a little more difficult.

If you do need to obtain one of these licences then you should first approach your town hall to find out where the department is that you must apply to. You will be checked to see if you have a criminal record and there will be a health check that includes eye sight and strength. They will also confirm if there have been any complaints made by neighbours against you.

Once the necessary checks have been made then the application for your licence will be sent off. In the case of Torrevieja, for example, the application would be sent to Valencia. It does mean that once you've obtained a licence for yourself you are ‘qualified' to walk any dog on the list. Anyone who walks your dog when you're not there must have a licence too.

Of course, if you live in Spain it is very important that you comply with the law or you risk a heavy fine. However, it also applies if you are a non-resident intending to bring your dog with you for a portion of the year. You will need to follow the rules in the same way as a resident or risk being stopped and fined. Alternatively leave your pet back in the UK.

You should make enquiries at the town hall of where you will be staying as soon as you can if you are intending to bring your dog to Spain with you. In the end, it doesn't matter how docile you know your pet to be. If it is on the list you must take the necessary precautions.

Read up more HERE

Knowing that cannabis is legal in Spain

No it is not legal. The situation is rather a one that can be described as "difficult".
The Spanish penal code does not prohibit the consumption of cannabis. That is the good news.
The bad news is that Spain does not differentiate between users for therapeutic and recreational reasons.
The possession and consumption of narcotics are illegal in public spaces. However, it is not a criminal offence. In most cases, a fine of 300 euros could be issued you are caught in possession. For that reason consumption is restricted to private places thus the spread of "clubs" in which you will be free to smoke.  Only members are allowed to go to these "clubs", and to be able to join a cannabis club, an existing member can put you up for membership.
Things can get a very  complicated with the next issue. You see it is technically illegal to grow marijuana in Spain. Although it is technically illegal to grow plants there is  no judicial judgment associated with cultivation that is not done for commercial purposes. That is why "clubs" are legal. Not finished confusing you yet: Cultivation of marijuana, has been decriminalized. So some more good news is there is no punishment associated with the cultivation of marijuana unless there is evidence that it is being cultivated in places visible to the public  or for trafficking purposes.
Going back to the bad news, distribution of drugs is a serious crime in Spain. Just do not do it. Got too much, never sell it on. Read a bit of the law in Wikipedia
There is hope that the law(s) will change soon. But do not hold your breath.
A lot more information can be found in Spanish naturally.

One edit: I should add that there are frequent controls  at road side tests for drink or drugged driving. Limits are very low. Do not do that either.

It looks as though you got two excellent responses there. Good stuff you two.

Culebronchris, thank you for the kind words.
I did forget one thing. THC medicines are illegal in Spain.

The OP clearly stated that he wishes to grow his own plant's.

More info can be found here.

https://www.cannabis-spain.com/legal/

But let's not get off topic here, the question was about bringing his dog to Spain.

Your dog will be let in, you don't have to worry, the main thing is to follow, so that she would have all the vaccinations and passport naturally. And what about the cannabis. I grow it and can help and talk about it for more. Although, I'm sure you are interested in its medicinal properties and how cannabis affects on your health. There is nothing to worry about, do not abuse it. And then I already have such a negative experience. But do not worry, read the article, everything is very detailed there.