Advice on bringing my dog to Spain

Hi,  I am planning to move to Spain this year and know all the official requirements for bringing my dog with me, but would be interested in any travelling advice and experiences regarding flying requirements for him.  Thank you

Welcome to the Forum :)

There are companies that do all the work for you, sorting out the paperwork, transporting the animal and making sure its well looked after and in the correct sized cage. There are quite a few, so a quick search on Google will list them for you. I have known people to do it this way and it made life a lot easier for them.

Thank you

Hi Lilysgirl,

I brought my 2 cats to Spain from Canada.  I'm not sure which country you're from, but the process is similar in both Canada and the US.  First, the pet needs to be microchipped and the microchip must be read by international scanners (check with your vet).  Your pet needs to have a rabies shot within one year of travel, but it has to be after the microchipping, so that the microchip number is on the rabies vaccination.

10 days before you fly, you need to have a visit to the vet and have them fill out the form for the Food Inspection (CFIA in Canada).  Then you need to take the form from the vet to the CFIA to have them verify the form.  They will also give a form for the airline.

We called the airlines and booked the pets in Cabin.  Just FYI, pets are not allowed to travel through the UK, so you may need a direct flight.

Once we landed in Barcelona and went through Customs, I tried to present my pile of paperwork and the didn't want to look at it, so we just walked through...

Marni

MarniLynne wrote:

I'm not sure which country you're from,

Going by her profile, she is from Wales (UK), an EU country, so have different rules and regulations to where you are. But ever helpful information to others that might need it.

Ah, I believe if in the EU you can apply for a pet passport.  I found that last year when I was looking.  I'm not sure the process though.

We're moving to Spain later this year too. Going to drive all the way from the UK as my dog would get way too stressed if he was separated from us and strange people and noises. I'd be interested in anyone's experiences of doing this - and crossing into France and then from France to Spain.

Hi If you can id consider the ferry and drive with your pet. Ive done both and she wasn't impressed with the flight services. My little dog prefers to be with us, not in a cage for hours. The overnight ferry from Plymouth even lets the dog stay in a cabin with you, it was then lovely to see some of rural Spain with the Drive.

Whatever way you decide good luck with your move over.

regards Carol

Hi We took our Shih Tzu to the south of France, we went on the quick ferry so he wasn't on his own long, he stayed in the car and we were allowed to pop down and see him, he was happy and slept most of the time we were on it. The drive he was fine throughout, we, in fact, had a lovely time with a stop overnight in Normandy, it's a pleasant drive.  There's a night ferry from Plymouth which takes you to northern Spain, and the dog can be kept in your cabin.
good luck carol