New forum for Can Tho

Dear members,

We are pleased to announce that we have launched the Can Tho forum. :)

Thanks for your participation.
Armand
Expat.com Team

Welcome to Cần Thơ :)

I am new to the site and I have an uncle who lives in Can Tho.  I am from Houston, Texas (USA) and I try to visit VN each year (in November).  I heard that Can Tho is a very large city now.  Just like HCMC, is this true?

I plan to visit my uncle who lives in Can Tho.  Do you know what is the fastest way to travel from HCMC (Pham Ngu Lao) to Can Tho?  How much does it costs?  I will try to find the address where my uncle lives.

THANKS,
Tien Tran

Tien,

Can Tho has always been large.  Before, it was just largely undeveloped and populated.  In recent years, Can Tho has changed a lot.  However, it is no Saigon.  The city and its population is pretty well-spreaded out.  We have no traffic to worry about.  :D

The fastest way to Can Tho, from Pham Ngu Lao, is to flag down a taxi and tell him to call his company and get the rate for going to Can Tho, one-way.  Nowaday, that is around 2 million Dongs.  You should be in Can Tho in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours, depending on the driver's knowledge of the speed traps.

Just as fast, and a lot cheaper, is to grab a motorbike and hit the road.  Bike rental and gas should be somewhere in the 300 thousand Dongs, depending on where you get your motorbike from.

The best way is to grab a taxi to Phuong Trang Bus Station, on Le Hong Phong.  A one way ticket is around 120 thousand Dongs.  Taxi fares?  God, at the rate those idiots are driving there, I have no clue!  :dumbom:  But, I don't think it should be more than another 120 thousand Dongs.  Phuong Trang will take you to your uncle's doors in about 4 to 4 1/2 hours, provided that you get the address.

Hope this helps,
Howie

Hi Tien ,

Actually Cantho is not really big . Cantho can not be like as Hochiminh city . I am Cantho people , but i had few years to living in Ho Chi Minh city for studying in University .

You can come Cantho by take Phuong Trang Bus .
You can call and book ticket from Hochiminh city to Cantho . The bus stop is Le Hong Phong street ( district 5 ) . It is not far Pham Ngu Lao street . You can not find a direct bus from Pham ngu lao to Cantho .

If you want to know more detail , I will search and give you the number of the Phuong Trang bus . So you can call and book ticket when you come . the price ticket around $6-7 .

I hope you will have a good time in Vietnam .

tien.tran wrote:

I am new to the site and I have an uncle who lives in Can Tho.  I am from Houston, Texas (USA) and I try to visit VN each year (in November).  I heard that Can Tho is a very large city now.  Just like HCMC, is this true?

I plan to visit my uncle who lives in Can Tho.  Do you know what is the fastest way to travel from HCMC (Pham Ngu Lao) to Can Tho?  How much does it costs?  I will try to find the address where my uncle lives.

THANKS,
Tien Tran

Looking for housing.  1 Aug-1 Dec 2013

I am looking for a villa for rent in the Can Tho City area.  Do not need a lot of rooms, but want to be away for nosy folks.  Does anyone have an idea about how I might go about locating such a place. An apartment with minimum security might also do the trick. Have lived 6 months a year in HCM and Hanoi for the last 9 years.

Will running a University of California Study Abroad Program at CTU.

Ideas/contacts are most welcome.

Thanks

Cary
0902339998 (text only please)

There are not so many villa for rent in can tho , because it is not like as ha noi or hochiminh city . I also lived in Sai gon and ha noi before . I think you can rent a house for living . And can tho is not dangerous like as in Sai gon . So you don't worry more .
Welcome to can tho .

This is the phone who have a villa for rent .
They posted 03 June 2013 .
This is the link .
http://123nhadat.vn/raovat-t1125463/cho … -gian.html
You can call direct for them . Really difficult to find a villa for rent . So I tried to search but I got only one this link .
I think you should come and look at the house when you want to rent . It is not easily to find a house with western condition living in can tho .

Ciao !

Cary,

If your stay is that brief and your requirement is that little, I suggest you look into negotiating a long-term rental at one of the nearby hotels.  It will not be that much more expensive, but you will save on the furnishings...  Furthermore, security will be much better.  The only draw back is you might not get to cook in your room.  But, if that is necessary and you negotiate well enough, I am certain they would allow you access to their kitchen.

Thanks for the responses about the lodging in Can Tho City.  I will stay for only four months.  In Hanoi and HCM villas and apts are easy to find.  That is why I posted here cuz I know it will be more difficult.  Anyone know of an agent who might be able to assist?  I would prefer not to stay in a hotel as I would prefer to do cooking at home.  Thanks  Cary

Wild_1: you still have Uyên phone?, i think she's living Cần Thơ right now. she may be able to help :D

Hey Cang,

Long time no see.  Coffee when I get back?

As for Uyen's number...  It might be in my SIM card.  But, I don't have it with me.  Look her up on here and drop her a line.  I am sure she will get back to you, once she sees it.

Hello everyone

This is Quyen. My number is 090 993 0643
I'm living in Cantho now.
@ Mr Cang and Mr Wild_1: sorry for longtime I didnt contact you. When you have free time, pls call me for a drink  ;)  ths