Working in milan!

hey im krishna frm india!!!! im thinking of coming to milan next year and work there for a couple of yrs and then do my pg there! is it a gud idea?? i am an ac milan fan too and i like sports, travelling and partying!! i am currently doing my bachelor of commerce degree! pls help me wid some positive feedback! cheers :)!

Hello krishna,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

can someone gimme a reply?

:up:

Hope you'll get some replies soon. ;)

Aurélie

haha yeah !!

Do you have questions staind?:/

i jus want to knw if its a gud thing to work and then study in milan!

Hi Krishna

It would be an idea if you spoke Italian?? and had a job offer already. I will refrain from saying if it is a good idea or not! :-) as people have different experiences with living in Milan. It's not a place that you meet people very easily and or make friends. Even for Italians from other parts of Italy moving there. I know a few and they struggle a bit with that. At the moment the economic situation in Italy is not that great and even Italians are finding it hard to find employment. So with the language barrier it would be even more difficult.

Hope that helps! :-)

Ciao

Hy friend ,milan its not a good place to be worckin maybe studing.True that italyans specially milan side are not so friendly ,but that dosen t mean you have to give up,with the language the most speak english and then italian its not a hard language may be for you but all depend. if you are lucky you may find a job and then study. If you really wont to came here then you must now that the rent in milan are very high at least have somme good amount of money for the first year to maintain your self then you will see .Keep in touch i will let you now about other things later .GOOD LUCK better place to study england

krishna93 wrote:

hey im krishna frm india!!!! im thinking of coming to milan next year and work there for a couple of yrs and then do my pg there! is it a gud idea?? i am an ac milan fan too and i like sports, travelling and partying!! i am currently doing my bachelor of commerce degree! pls help me wid some positive feedback! cheers :)!

Hello Krishna!

It depends on what quality of life you can accept, both on money and stress aspects.
Living in Italy at the moment can be very tough, since salaries are low respect to cost of living, at least if compared to other European countries. That is even more true in Milan, which is particularly expensive.
But again, it depends on the quality of life you are used to / you are expecting to have there. I left Italy (it's my mother-country) because I was tired to work hard and yet struggle for getting what I call a decent quality of life.

A very important "detail": being hired on an under the table basis is unfortunately common practice in Italy.
Being hired under the table can make the difference between living decently or not, since you are more easily hired in that manner and you can even get a higher wage (of course, they don't have to pay taxes in that case).
But it comes with a huge human cost: first, you don't have any parachute in case of injury or sickness in the work place, secondly, there is no pension.
Besides, with an unreported job you're not entitled to residence permit (since you're officially just a tourist).
Staying in Italy in a non-regular way does not entitles you to medical protection (with the notable exception of emergencies), and is an offense.

Hope I didn't cool down your enthusiam too much!