New to Lyon, seeking advice.

Hello, my name is Jon. I have recently relocated from the UK to Lyon to live with my girlfriend who is native french. The reason for my relocating was that I was unfortunately made redundant from my job in the UK. I decided that as my job was the only reason I was living apart from my girlfriend I should pack up and move over here so we could once again be together. As such it was somewhat of a quick decision and I am really here seeking some advice on how to get things in order for me to be able to settle here in Lyon correctly.

As far as we are both aware the first, most important thing to get in order should be sécurité sociale for me. We have so far visited the Préfecture who informed us that as a UK citizen in possession of a full UK passport there is no problem with my being here and that I needed to fill out nothing with them. We then visited the British Consulate, here we were advised that I could be added onto my girlfriends sécurité sociale but we now find that this is incorrect as she is currently a full time student and so her sécurité sociale is for students - SMERRA. I have read online that it is fairly common for employers to arrange sécurité sociale numbers, but have also read that many will not employ you without having one first.

We are both a little confused by the varying bits of information we have been supplied with and are finding it hard to get a straight answer from anyone as to what comes first, a job and then a sécurité sociale number or a sécurité sociale number then a job?

If anyone has had experience sorting this sort of quandary out or if you know in which order I should be making arrangements I would be extremely grateful if you could provide any advice. Thank you in advance.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I also moved here (but from Canada) for love :) My situation is probably a bit different for yours, because you are a British citizen and a part of the EU, but have you thought about going to the DIRECCTE (ex-DRTEFP) office?
Here is a link (in French) about what they do:
rhone-alpes.travail.gouv.fr/index.php?idtf=9#par352

I know for me, I have a work and travel visa and in order to work, I need a work permit which will grant me a social security number. To get the work permit, I need a job offer. Do you need a carte de sejour at all? (Or is that just for non-EU citizens?)
Anyways, I think it is pretty sure that companies don't hire without a social security number, but that regional department I listed might be able to help you to get one, or with what your next step might be.

I don't know how much this helps, but hopefully it does :)

Take Care (and Welcome to Lyon)
Connie

Hiya Jon,
This is somewhat late I'm sure, but I'm currently in a similar situation. I moved to Lyon to be with my native boyfriend about a year ago, but since I don't work we've been very lazy about paperwork(!). I'm really relieved to find out that since I have a UK passport I'm free to live here without the carte de séjour, that's one thing I was panicking about since you hear horror stories of deportation etc... I just shouldn't be so lazy!
My boyfriend and I are getting PACSed soon so that'll sort out my sécurité sociale. It's a bit of a strong commitment, but it could be an option for you and your girlfriend to look into. I do a lot of reading on this subject so if I run into something about the job/sécurité sociale situation I'll be sure to let you know, unless you already have it sorted, then good job :)
Hope you're enjoying Lyon so far!

Hi Tigerlilyb,

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post here on the forum, I do really appreciate it. I believe the information you've supplied is indeed true and it is something I and my girlfriend are looking into currently. The next meeting for PACS is Dec so we are trying to get the mountain of paperwork, for me, all in order to meet that deadline.

Another route we have discovered in order to get a sécurité sociale number issued is to work for 60 hours in any 1 month period, at that point a number is automatically issued to you, my guess is because by that point you have contributed enough tax. I am currently working the vendanges in various areas of France in order to clock up 60 hours, and a whole load of experience too, and so am hoping by the end of Sept to have my own number finally. I really hope it is true and a number is issued to me as I have already worked here in France, again in the domaine of viticulture, but as that was less than 60hrs received no sécurité sociale number, despite contributing tax.

Anyway, thanks once again for the post. I too hope you are enjoying life here in France and Lyon in particular? Personally I have no regrets, it is a beautiful country and city and its hard to imagine life anywhere else now.:)

Honestly, I was horribly homesick for my little seaside town for a while, but now I'm feeling much more at home here. Lyon is so big, there's so much to come to terms with. It's such a gorgeous city though and I'm loving the weather; I don't regret it either.

How do you mean the next PACS meeting? From what I understood you just had to gather up your paperwork, pop down to the town hall and it was sorted. I might be wrong. Have you been to your local mairie to ask about it? My boyfriend visited and was given a checklist/application, it was a lot of help.

I hope you get your sécurité sociale number after all your trouble, good luck with your work! :)

Hello!

go to Lyon City Blog for useful information about Lyon region
visit (moderated: no free ads please) Lyon France Traveller if you plan to do something differently in Lyon

Good luck

Hélène

As an European citizen, you should have ask for an english Social security number as i usually do when abroad..

Hi philippelyon, this thread is dated 2010.;)

If you want to help other members, do not hesitate to start a new thread on Lyon forum.:)

Harmonie.

[Moderated: This post was out of subject]