Whats the work situation like there?

Hi!

I'm thinking of moving over sometime soon (haven't decided yet where, though i think i've narrowed my choices down to either Salvador, Rio or Recife) and i'd like to know what opinions or advice you can give regarding the whole general work situation out there.

First of all, i must confess that i'm not a highly skilled engineer or managing director, so i'm fully aware from previous posts and replies that i will find it near to impossible to get a work contract at the moment.  And i am well aware that on my tourist visa i won't actually be allowed to work anyway (sshhhh! I dont wanna draw attention to myself).  I will need to make a living though until i get a permanent visa, and well, thats kinda my question...

What cash-paid jobs could a foreigner (who can speak a few languages i might add) hope to get?  I've lived in a foreign country and so am well aware that just because im a native english speaker it doesnt mean that it automatically qualifies me as a natural at teaching english!  I actually don't feel too confident of this option really, based on past experience.  What else would be available though?  Hotel work?  Restuarant work?  Things along those lines.  But are these kinda jobs open for gringos?

I don't fool myself into thinking that this will be easy and everything will be just great over there in paradise.  I'd just appreciate some advice, as i'm sure lots of other people have been in this situation.  Or maybe opinions about how things really are in this respect. 

Tchau!  :)

Hi nxau,

Actually, about the ONLY jobs readily available to foreigners who are not in STEM (science, technology, enegineering, mathematics) field professions is teaching English or some other language. Here in Brazil few schools require any kind of previous teaching experience and many could care less about your documentation (also shhhhhhh you didn't hear that from me). This allows them to pay traditionally low wages. Since Salvador and Recife are not major Brazilian commercial centers finding work there will be considerably harder. The easiest places to find jobs will certainly be São Paulo and Rio. One thing I do recommend is learn as much Portuguese as possible before coming here. English is NOT widely spoken even in the business world here and speaking the local language is essential.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks for the insight.  I guess I was kinda expecting to hear something like that.  I think I should practice and improve my teaching skills then before I seriously think of going, aswell as perfect my Portuguese.  I could offer simple conversation classes until I get good enough to teach.  I was actually thinking of tourist-related jobs and a chance to use English to my benefit in that way.  As you say yourself, its not widely spoken in the business world and so wouldn't I stand a little chance of finding something where these skills are lacking?  Surely some hostels or restaurants in these tourist traps are dying to find a willing, hardworking multi-language speaker to help out for a meager wage?

Hi nxau,

Surprisingly enough, most businesses in Brazil couldn't care less about making things easier or more accessable for English speaking customers/clients; I can never for the life of me figure out why. This is quite evident even in the hospitality industry, for example you are rarely going to find a restaurant with a menu that is printed in Portuguese and English (or any other language for that matter). On the extremely rare occasions when you do find one the English translation is horrible and usually completely wrong.

On the bright side, schools here generally all have their own training programs and actually prefer individuals who have had little or no previous experience since they can be trained to do things the way the school wants without questions.

Cheers,

Hi William,

my husband is electro engineer, speaks English and German (could learn Portuguese after some time:)) and he would like to search for job opportunity in Brazil. Could you please help  us with advise what would be the best approach for job search? He tried through some websites but since there are on P, did not help a lot. Thanks!

Mirjana, Serbia

Hi Mirjana,

First of all, as I have said time and time again one must speak Portuguese, it is essential. It serves nothing having all kinds of education, job hunting with all your effort if you can't communicate with the people you will be working with or for. Learning the language now, before you even arrive is of utmost importance.

As far as finding a job, again I've often stated that it is very difficult for foreigners to find work here because the law requires employers to prove that they've exhausted all avenues of filling a vacancy with a Brazilian before they can hire a foreigner to fill it.

Finding a job is generally best done by contacting large multi-national companies in your home country which have operations here in Brazil. They will either be able to help in placement themselves or at the very least put you in touch with the right people in their HR departments here in Brazil.

Cheers,

Thanks!

Hi again,

Just reading the last post left by Mirjana and your reply.  You clearly state that finding a job is difficult enough, and if employers have to prove that no Brazilian nearby can fulfill the requirements, then it does indeed make the answer to my original question about how the work situation is leaving me feeling quite downhearted.  Still though, i'm a positive person and am always up for a challenge.  I will aim to perfect my Portuguese before going obviously in order to maximize every little chance I might have of finding that needle in the giant haystack.

Which brings me onto another question that you guys got me wondering about.  You recommend finding a job by contacting companies back in my home country.  But what about actually doing this from over there??  I said previously that I didn't possess any skills in the STEM fields, but I do have some experience in other industries (namely Maritime and importing/exporting).  My point being, will companies there be willing to look at my CV twice and consider me, even though I do not have a valid visa?  And if in the unlikely case someone became interested in my services, what process would there be to begin the procedure of issuing a work visa?