Any advice is appreciated!!!

Hello to all,

Just a quick background about myself: I'll be moving to Bogota in about a month! While this is certainly an exciting time for me, as the days dwindle I am starting to feel nervous. Is this normal?

I have been to Colombia before, only to the coast however and had a great time at Carnivale (my friends and I were on the page of some local newspaper/revista there). Certainly, I understand partying in the coast and living in Bogota will be completely different.

Currently, I have been dating my Colombiana for 7.5 months, and we have known each other for just a little bit over a year. She was an Au Pair in Chicago whom I befriended and we started dating.

My nervousness isn't regarding Colombia being "dangerous", Chicago is no cake walk. I'm not too worried about my income, (I've received multiple job offers in different industries). I'm not overly-concerned with the language barrier(I studied for 4 years, know my spanish is far from perfect, but most importantly WANT TO IMPROVE).

My biggest concern regarding Colombian culture is my girlfriend remaining faithful to me until I arrive. My girlfriend tells me all the time "Te amo con todo mi corazon y mi alma" and is always so nice with me. I've met her family via Skype and they seem to be excited to have me. Her father and mother actually suggest that I live with her in her apartment until I find my own place!

Am I being paranoid? Are these nerves just because the day is approaching? Help!

Brainzzzz,

I think your nerves are perfectly justified and normal even if they stem from paranoia to some extent.

Yes there will be some aspects of Colombian culture that will take some getting used to. I have been here just over a year and I still struggle with a few things, but, that may just be my English sensibilities.

I think it is normal to ask the questions that you are asking just before you are making a huge change in your life. Especially when that change is for someone else or to be with someone else. The question of your lady's fidelity is no more valid just because you are in Colombia than when you are on your own home ground. If it is meant to be then it will succeed regardless of geographical location..and should the worst happen, you can always go home.

I think you should stop making scenarios or problems up in your mind..they haven't happened and may not even happen..so why worry over them??