Living in Tokyo

Hi,

We don't speak enough about living in Tokyo. What do you think about Tokyo? I  heard the way of life is completely different than in other Japanese cities? What do you think about it?

Is there a lot of job opportunities in Tokyo for expatriates? Aren't the prices completely crazy?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I think Tokyo is great ! Great quality of living, no security problems, no unemployment, the only big problems of japan are not enough babies and too many corrupted politicians...

Tokyo is never sleeping, lots of people but streets are very large and people very disciplined so it's not a problem. It's very clean and the subway is in my opinion one of the best in the world !

Lots of places to go out, bars, karaoke, nightclubs ....

Not so expensive in my opinion. Less than London, a bit more than Paris (for the rent and western food only).

Job opportunities : don't really know, I'm working in Bank IT, so I guess it's easier for me. I found a job in 3 months.

Found a great flat in 2 weeks.

Of course I'm better paid than when I was working in Paris, and less paid than when I was in London but my quality of life is definitely better here.

Thanks for your answers :)

I've got so many, many questions about Tokyo ...

How to find a job in Tokyo? Is it mandatory to speak Japanese? Are international profiles appreciated?

About accomodations, what's the best way to find a flat? Is it possible to share a flat (is flatshare usual or not)? How did you find your flat?

Is it complicated to make friends in Tokyo?

Hey you're welcome !

How to find a job in Tokyo?
The easier and faster way to come in Tokyo is in my opinion VIE status (for young french people www.civiweb.com) . Companies are very into this system because they know they will have someone very motivated with a low income and they can get rid of him more easily. When I had a look at this status last year, the income in Tokyo was around 2300 euros ( compare to 1500 euros in Paris, to give you an idea of the life you can get), and you have to pay for the rent !
If you're in IT stuff you can perhaps get a VIE with lots of banks like SG, BNP, Calyon,... And perhaps they will hire you in the end.
Lots of russian models here too, so if you have abilities in this domain you can try ;-)

Is it mandatory to speak Japanese? Are international profiles appreciated?
I guess international profiles are appreciated everywhere. Japanese is not mandatory if you don't work in a japanese company. I don't speak japanese and most of my colleagues either. I just arrived 1 month ago and will start lessons very soon but one of my colleague is here since 4 years and don't speak a word of japanese, It's sad I think.

About accomodations, what's the best way to find a flat?
It depends on your budget. I guess the easier way is to come to Tokyo and wandering around to find the area you want to live in and then ask an agent to find places for you. It's very expensive to enter a flat though... You have to pay Agent fees (1 month rent + 5%), deposit (usually 2 or 3 month rent), and last but not least key money, a gift (sic) to the landlord (usually 1 or 2 month rent)... My company is paying for the deposit, and I managed to negociate for no key money. I also had renewal fee (one month rent avery 2 years) but I've negociated to get rid of it.
Oh and most of the flats are unfurnished...

Is it possible to share a flat (is flatshare usual or not)?
It's not usual to have roomates here so if you want to do it you'll probably have to bring your roomate with you ? You can try to find a russian model or a japanese girlfriend though ;-)

How did you find your flat?
I had an agent proposing me some flats but it's definitely easier when you have a contract with a bank ;-)

Is it complicated to make friends in Tokyo?
Japanese people don't speak so much english (mostly because they feel embarassed). I think it mainly depends on your character. I arrived in tokyo last year for a 2 month business trip, after 4 days I was invited to a party, and at the end of my 2 months here I had couple of friends that I'm still seeing now. Tonight actually ;-)
People are very welcoming here and there is not so much french people (8000) so it's like a small community. I'm sure I'll meet people in the bar on friday for the first rugby game against Argentina !

Hope I helped you...

Yes I think it will help a lot...

I've just got a couple of remarks / questions about "how to find a job in Tokyo"

Let's remind to everybody that a VIE is a very specific french contract.

Is there an interesting employment website such as monter.com in Japan? Are japanese contracts complicated?

I don't know about a website like this and I have a japanese contract with a french company so I guess it's not that complicated as a japanese contract non translated ;-)

I don't think this is complicated.

Julien,

You may have a look at these job websites:
http://www.careercross.com/en/job_search.phphttp://www.gaijinpot.com/

Just got a job offer from my company (Big 4) in Tokyo and was looking at these websites to estimate average IT wages there.

Pierkiroul,
What is this all about, a landlord gift ???
Thanks for the info anyway, looks like I will need to negotiate this as part of my relocation package ...
Wondering if it's better to get fully furnished apartment (more expensive ?) or just an empty one.
In your opinion, how much is it for a good 1 bedroom flat ?
and ... just because you seem to be techie too, do you know of Blackberry equivalent in Japan ?

Hi Francois,

Key money (or Reikin in japanese I think) is a tradition in Japan. Things are changing but lots of flats still have these fees... I know it's hard to accept but you should also try to negotiate with the landlord.

Fully furnished apartment are very unusual in Japan as japanese people are not into second hands things. Perhaps you can get an empty flat and buy furnitures to expats that are moving from japan. On the other way there's also the IKEA solution...

I don't know what your income is going to be but I was looking for the same type of flats with a price between 250000 and 350000 Yens. I've visited a nice 50sq.m flat with sumida river viewsight, swimming pool, sauna and fitness center for 250 000 (and equipped with oven, fridge, washing machine,...), the building is called Sumida riverside tower if you're interested.

I think blackberry is working here as it is 3G.

Good luck !
Pierre

Thank you Pierre, it's actually quite a nice flat, as you said.
URL: http://www.housingjapan.net/eng/feature … iverTower/

Good surprise to see condos with swimming pool in Tokyo (though I understand that it's rather high-end condo, this prob. justify the price!) .
It will first need to be screened and approved by the real boss at home (wife) but I believe that it stands good chances :D

Is it far from Shinjuku-ku ?

Another question, is it true that motorbikes cost half the price of Europe (Japanese brands that is) ?

Cheers,

Francois

No idea for the motorbike although I want to have my license here.

Shinjuku-ku is where I live, it's on the opposite side of sumida river side but you should check the subway map, it might be not so far, depending on the station you have to get out of.

Hi,
Me from nepal and I want to come there at Tokyo I I don't have any idea about the expenses over there. So If you can help me please mail me at [email protected] with the per month fooding , living, travel cost and other extra cost.

Amrit

No offense Nenun, but you should search a bit on this forum. I'm sure you'll find what you're searching for.

Maybe you could search ... here, for example? https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=784

I am looking for English speakers who live in Japan who can write about new toiletries that are launched in Japan (shampoo, facial cream etc). You would be rewarded for your efforts. If you are interested please contact me: [email protected]. Many thanks

:)Hi,
I can't say so much about QOL now however I lived and worked in Tokyo as a music journalist and concert promoter way back in the 70s and loved it. I lived amongst Japanese in the Ebisu district now alot of foreigners and found delicious food, orgasmic visuals in all the arts, applied and plastic, beautiful clean streets, safe subways. The only complaint was returning some products, the manufacturer's gave a bit of a fuss. Other hand people are respectful and there's so much to do in Tokyo. Nowadays though you'd also have a blast in Yokohama, Osaka and other towns. If you prefer quiet life then head towards Nara, Kyoto and the Japanese coastal regions.

understand the standard of living in tokyo is extremely high.. heard working part-time pay actually earn the same as working full-time ?

Hi All;

As my husband works in Tokyo, I moved to Tokyo from Istanbul; Turkey. I feel very lonely as I dont have any friends. I already started Japanese classes. Can someone help me about making new friends?

Thanks in Advance...
idilis

Hi Everyone,
I am Canadian. My family and I are moving to Tokyo (in a week from now)for my husband's postdoc. Can somebody recommend a telephone company and an Internet provider that's reliable, but not expensive? Thank you in advance.

iŽm from chicago visiting a friend in tokyo and iŽm had a foo reaction.  where can i buy some cortisone 10 or the japanese version? please respond asap and where can i go if i need a doctor?