Water Quality in Angola

I'm on a volunteer trip to teach basic water quality monitoring at the Chianga Agricultural Research Station outside of Huambo.  It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.  There is a freshwater spring on the property used for a variety of critical purposes but the ouflow area and small brook has been degraded and it is used for washing.  We are setting up permanent monitoring stations to develop baseline data for the Station and to assess the success of restoration/management programs. 
My initial assessment is that the water is very clean at the outfall and the natural processes in the small stream are working well (ecosystem services are free and much needed!).  However, we have also discussed the need to not wash directly in the spring pool/spring brook.  We have taken our initial samples and the extremely low conductivity reveals the reason for acidic soils throughout the station and in much of Huambo Province. 

We have also discussed some very simple changes in use patterns that will protect the spring, maintain processes (such as dragonfly habitat/populations which help to control mosquitos), and allow for safe, sustainable use of the water.  Protecting headwaters is critical to protecting downstream water quality/use. 

The People of Angola are an inspiration to me.

David J. Zaber, MS., Ph.D.
Madison, WI

Hello David.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for these informations.

Aurélie

I would like to experience and learn more about the water quality in Angola. How do I reach out to Dr. Zaber?

Hello David

Water quality in Luanda is not good....

Regards,
anil