Moving to Angola with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Angola with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Angola?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Dear Bhawna,

As I have moved from Delhi to Angola 2 months ago, these are the things to be followed.

- Get Indian spices without failure, if you are a big foodie, especially if you love Indian food.
- If you love reading, better get a big pile of books from your country itself. Here either they are insanely expensive or are not available in English. Online shopping is applicable only if you are going to base in a city like Luanda.
- It is better to get a basic Portuguese learning material as majority of them speak only Portuguese other than native languages like Kikongo.
- Safety is a primary issue. Try to avoid journies after later evenings and nights.
- Get ready for the super-expensive life, especially if you are going to set yourself up in Luanda.

A terrible place to move with family. Try not to do that if possible.

I agree with the tip on food. You can't underestimate what you can get in Angola, so it's best to bring as much as you can. Everything is either triple the price or even ten times the price especially if you like buying organic foods.

I'd suggest getting the kids a serious health travel kit, equipped with all the things you might need in case of an emergency, i.e. upset tummies, insect bites, diarrhea, heat rash etc.

Compact favourite books, songs and movies on a portable player like an iPod, iPad, hard drive, CD anything, as the internet is limiting and watching videos on YouTube reduces usage a lot.

When you arrive, get out and get involved with activities for the kids.

I have found it really difficult to find activities for my little one. I wish there were more blogs or other families posting their experiences online so others could benefit from their time living in Angola.   

Advertising is non-existent here or only by word of mouth. We are going through the search process now of finding activities for my little one and it's a case of visiting the premises as there is more than likely not going to be a website you can search online for information.

Take advantage of the wild out doors with kids. People are afraid of a lot with being in a country like Angola, and I understand that. However, this is a country that if you are able to be safe and be with people who understand the land and it's people, you can travel around and appreciate the scenery and it's beauty and the animals and plants. It's such a wonderful educational learning space for kids.

We don't plan on living here forever so in knowing that, we are acutely aware of the little time we have to enjoy Angola and I don't mean by enjoying their fun fairs, shopping centres and the like. We have those kinds of things back in the UK.

@Bhavna

Hi there, are you still based in Luanda?

Hello Vetshemzimkhulu,

No, i am not based in Angola. How can we help you ?

Regards

Bhavna

Dear  Bhavna,

Thank you sharing.

I am a mechanical engineer with 15 years experience.I would like to move to Angola for job.can you help me ?

Kind regards. 

Kidane Abebe

Good afternoon everyone.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs in Angola section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct