New visa on arrival.

I noticed there is no longer visa applications on the Paraguayan embassy website for Canada, instead there is a notice for a visa on arrival. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what the procedure was and if after obtaining it if one can apply for permanent residence inside Paraguay.

Thanks!

Anyone?

I don't think many people would have used the new system.  You could apply for residency after obtaining an old tourist visa, which included on the application a checkbox where you indicated you wouldn't.  No one cared at Migracciones, or at Foreign Affairs, where they certify your visa as true. I don't think that will change.  Make sure you bring all the required certified documents with you, that's the real show stopper, if you don't have them.

We have used the new system. We literally arrived like 10 days ago. It was quite easy, however, it took a long time after arriving. If you have someone picking you up from the airport, like your hotel or another driver, be sure to let them know that the process can take more than an hour after landing.

We landed at 11:45pm, and didn't get out of the airport until 1:15am. I'm so glad that someone was looking after our stuff when it came off of the carousel. We were quite worried.

They took FOREVER to take our photos and process the stickers, but they were quite friendly and they really didn't go into much detail before letting us in. Other than showing our passports, there wasn't much of a checkpoint there.

Dear Joel,

This is Deborah, the cycling Canadian.  My dearest and best beloved is coming during Semana Santa.  Would you please look and see if the visa is multiple entry.  If you bring your own passport sized photos would it speed up the process.  This is a spanish key board with an English program so the question marks aren't where they look. 

Good to see you and to meet Kate.  Best wishes
Deborah

FYI: Upon arrival at the airport in Luque, adjacent to Asuncion  you can get a visa however, the visa issued by the Paraguayan embassy or consulates is much better as you can request a ten(10)year with multiple entries for about $100 usd...otherwise, they will issue a 90 day visa for $160 in the airport. Get the visa in advance!

Does anyone know if the 10 year multiple entry visa is available for Canadians too, from the Paraguayan embassy in Canada?