Vancouver or Toronto? Please help me to decide.

Dear all,

I am moving to Canada as immigrant in August 2013.
I am yet to decide whether i will choose Toronto or Vancouver. Please help me to decide on this.

I prefer Vancouver because of the weather as I am allergic to cold, and i love beaches. But i heard Vancouver is very expensive.

I am a Psychologist and worked as a Manager/Trainer in the field of HIV/AIDS. I don't know where would i find a suitable job, but i don't want to go to any other place except Toronto or Vancouver. Does anyone know about job prospect in psychology/public health field in Vancouver and Toronto?

Thank you in advance.
A.

Hi A.21may,

Vancouver - no question about it. Having lived for 28 years in Ontario and a further 28 in Vancouver you will love it better in BC and not have the cold Ontario winters to worry about in Vancouver. It's the most expensive place in Canada to live, so you can believe that there wouldn't be so many people living there if the city didn't have EVERYTHING going for it.

See my reply to your posting in "Making friends in Toronto" too.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks William. I just read your wonderful post on "Making friends in Toronto", very useful indeed. At least after reading your post i know i will eventually move to Vancouver.

But as a new comer and without a job, i guess it wont be wise to live in the most expensive city (in Canada) at the initial stage.

Still, i have few more months to look for opportunities and decide.

Thanks again.

We also wanted to go to Vancouver, but decided not to go due to the weather. Yes it is the mildest part of Canada, however it is also the rainiest one :/

While this may be true, you don't have to work yourself into a heart attack shovelling RAIN from your driveway and sidewalk. The other point I would make is that while it may be the rainiest part of the country, it is not an intense driving rain. Generally speaking it is light showers over longer periods. Vancouverites hardly miss a beat as a result of the rain. All Hell breaks loose on those rare days when it snows.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team