Excited about coming to Thailand

Yes, another one moving to Chiang Mai.

Retired last year and I've been doing a little traveling around the Caribbean, Costa Rica and Italy.
Moved up to Seattle from Tucson.  The summer was great, winter sucks.  So, I decided to bail out while I'm still young.
I've been to Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong and Singapore.  First time to Thailand.
CM will be my base of operations for traveling all over southeast asia.  I'll decide after a year if I'm staying or not.  Maybe just a move down south to the coast will be enough...dunno.

Just sent off my retirement visa application to Los Angles.  Should have it back in 10-14 days and then I'm booking a flight.
Just picked up an international driving permit, not sure how necessary it is, but I have one.

I've been selling EVERYTHING I own over the last month and I have to say, what a relief to get rid of all the $h!t I've moved around for years...bitter sweet.  NEVER again am I accumulating that much stuff.   

I'll be arriving with a couple of suitcases at the most.  I figure what ever I need I can get there or I don't need it.  I am bringing some cycling gear just in case.
Unless someone has regrets about not bringing something that is unobtainable there.

I don't care how much it's going to cost me to live there. That topic has been discussed ad nauseam and is too subjective and anecdotal.  I have enough money and it's not the reason why I'm moving there.   

The mandatory items are: Bicycle and motorcycle.  I like road biking, but love to mountain bike, so I'm hoping I can get a decent mtb, used or new I don't care. 
I will go nuts if I can't exercise and biking is my preferred method.  The best way to explore and learn the area. (not on the main roads though).
I'm hoping to make some connections with other cyclists.
I'm sure there's great hiking around there and I plan to get into the mountains, parks and rivers for some fun.
Motorcycle; I'll rent one or two for a couple of times to get a lay of the land, then maybe buy something.  I've read the riding up north is great...I gotta do it.

I hear the massages are great.

The plan is to find a guesthouse/hotel near the city for a couple of weeks, maybe move around the city week by week until I find an area of the city I like...then a guesthouse or apartment.  Not ready for a house... yet.

No clue how the public transportation works there.  Probably easier to just hire a tuk tuk or songtaews kinda thing.

I'm bringing an unlocked iPhone 4s that I used in Italy, so I'm sure it'll work in Thailand.  Just have to find a good carrier for data/cell service.  Ideas?
Not sure if I should buy a MacBook Pro before I leave or if they have them there and if there's a huge difference in price.
I have to have a computer and internet service.  Internet cafe in a pinch. 

I love asian food...street food in particular.  Might be fun to take some Thai cooking lessons.
I'll consider a one on one Thai language tutor, just for the basics.  Much harder than Tagalog.

I'm a scuba diver and hope to make connections with other divers and take trips south.
I love kayaking and I hope to make connections with other kayakers. 
(not much sea kayaking or scuba diving in CM)

Sorry, pretty long intro...lol

See ya all soon.

That's a pretty long intro indeed.
Just to say... if you are interested in renting a nice garden apartment in the country side... at just 20 minutes from Chiang mai center, than please send me a message.
Dirk van Ostaden

Mobile phone providers to choose from are AIS, DTAC and TRUE.  I suggest AIS because I feel they have better coverage but everyone has their preference.

No sea kayaking in CM but they do have river kayaking.  Just Google ... kayaking chiang mai  .... and you should get results.

You should be able to find a bicycle that meets you requirements. Check this site for locations.  http://bicyclethailand.com/bike-stores/

Not sure what US prices are for Apple computers but this link will give you Thai prices.  http://store.apple.com/th

If you plan on remaining in Thailand do obtain Thai motorcycle license before your US and International permit expire.  Usually just requries eye and reaction time test but dependent on each Thai land transport office.

cheers,
straydog

You are the second person to recommend AIS.
I saw that bike link, looks like there are a ton of shops.  I'm happy to see that.
Compared computer prices and the US price was about $40 less, including the VAT.  Not worth buying one here to save that.  I can get by with my phone for a while or use internet cafe in a pinch until I decide.  Concerned about security in the internet cafes.
Might as well get a license asap.

Hi, welcome to Thailand
I also prefer AIS (from my experience when to went to Chiang Mai)
For public transport in CM, easy to find. BTW i think hire motobike is more convenience cause you have international driving license.

Hope you enjoy,

You are the second person to recommend AIS.
I saw that bike link, looks like there are a ton of shops.  I'm happy to see that.
Compared computer prices and the US price was about $40 less, including the VAT.  Not worth buying one here to save that.  I can get by with my phone for a while or use internet cafe in a pinch until I decide.  Concerned about security in the internet cafes.
Might as well get a license asap.

And...
Bouncing the idea of either buying a mountain bike here in the US and shipping to CM or buying a similarly equipped bike in CM.
Factor in shipping and customs costs.
Anyone with real experience?  Thoughts?

I have no direct experience with import of bicycle but the big unknow will be customs duties.  You are at their mercy when it comes to declared value of item becuause purchase receipts will usually be ignored.

Or, how about buying here, riding around for a couple weeks and bringing on the plane.
Will customs try and jack me even if I'm bringing it with me on the plane?

Thought I read somewhere you can bring bike in for six months without duties but it must then leave country.

Check this link to Thai Customs Department:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connec … omewelcome

Is there a big price difference making you reluctant to buy bike in Thailand?  If you give me name and model of bike you are interested I will check price here in Pattaya.