Want to move to Chiang Mai , How is my plan?

Hi every one!

I feel like a new challenge in life and I am considering moving to Chiang Mai.

The brief plan is to enrol in a TEFL Course + a Thai language course on arrival. I hope to find work as a teacher once I have brushed up on my own spelling and grammar!

My employment history is all office based, In logistics and customer service but I understand it will be hard to find that sort of job.

I Am 27 years old and I feel if I do not do this now I will never get the chance again.
I have £20000 in the bank so If I can't find work I should be able to get by for a couple of years (I think!)

So, What things must I consider before making this big step in my life? I love the Thai people and culture.. Their friendliness puts the English attitude to shame!

Thank you for your comments :)

Id grab the Thai language software now and just start doing some of it each night.

I think you will find work as an English teacher if you are a nice normal type person. As a future employer of English teachers I know I would prefer someone who lives in Thailand verses someone who was just coming out for a year to teach and party. I imagine most of the schools in Chaing Mai think the same.

BTW, careful about stating how much money you have. It can attract the wrong attention. A Farang and their money are soon parted ;).

Heck, my father in law is almost finished building his brand new apartment complex in Chaing Mai. Lemme know if you are interested in the details. Its a Thai style apartment complex, very nice but not huge, not a full kitchen, that sort of thing. City life kind of lends itself to eating out. Its so cheap to do so, why cook for yourself?

Cheers,
Peter

BTW, the apartment complex is between a college and a university. I imagine it will mostly be populated with students once it opens around August.  Not a bad place to start out if one has plans to teach.

That said, it will be on the smaller side without a real kitchen. But its surrounded by shops and restaurants.

Peter

Yeah I'm nice and very down to earth. my only draw back is my poor English at the moment! I read that if I do the TEFL course in Thailand I can get a 1 year visa to avoid the visa runs.
I don't have any sort of degree but I consider myself very fast at picking things up.
What ever happens its a big step and will be an experience that I will never forget :)

Haha its one thing stating how much I have, buts its another trying to get me to part with it!

Yes most certainly interested in the apartments.. Price etc
Maybe good to get some private work if there are many students.
It would be nice to have a kitchen though. I love my cooking and my speciality is Asian food.

Is there any other sort of work out there a foreigner can do?
I have been applying to many national company's in the hope of a position in Thailand, I think Chiang Mai is the place for me though.

Thank you

Sounds like a nice plan. Let me know if I can be any help.

Thanks Peter for a nice suggestion. Where is your F in Law apartment. My friends would like to stay around there.