What to do for my free time?

Hello... I'm nearly 40 but still want to find something to learn for my free time in the evening or weekend. Thinking of learning to play an instrument (guitar, violin or organ... so I can compose music to my kids:)) or studying a new language (Chinese, Korean, or Japanish), may be not going to a center but self learning or having a tutor at home. Is there any one has similar thinking like me at this age, or am I just something different? :rolleyes::) What is your advice?

You are not even 40 so the mind is still capable of further training and learning. If so inclined, learning to play a musical instrument enriches one's life and provides a meaningful hobby too. Learning another foreign language broadens one's horizons but the activity requires much hard work, time and whether one has the knack of learning languages! Not many are so talented in this area and find that extremely difficult as a goal to achieve. However, when there's a will there is a way, as the saying goes..All the best.

From the profile, I see that you are a Vietnamese.

In general, I find the modern-day Vietnamese mindset about education quite troublesome.

Learning is studying just for the degree. Therefore, not a lot of effort on trying to master the craft. Just pure cramming the stuff for the exam, or whatever it takes: copying, mimicking, cheating, plagiarism,..

Once you get the degree, then learning stops.

This is opposite to the mindset one is encouraged in the West: learning is lifelong. One tries to learn the craft of the trade by different methods. Innovation is expected. Plagiarism is discouraged by code of conduct (and punished severely).

Sorry for going off track!!! Anyway, getting back to the topic

Not yet 40 and you are wondering whether you should study or not! In the West, it is not uncommon to find people just retiring from work then going back to university to learn something they [b]really[/u] wanted to learn but never had the time. Things like language, philosophy,...

It is common to go to a Karate class in the West to find students in their 40s, even 60s starting. Here in Vietnam, once you are over twenty years old, you don't go to train Karate anymore. Karate is for ten year-old kids!!

From own experience, I enjoy working on my fourth master degree, learning my fifth language, training (and getting coaching) competitive sports. Sure, the teacher is sometime much younger than I am. Kids stare at me in class (and get their butts kicked competing with me). Things take much longer time to memorize. There are things that you can no longer physically (don't try doing somersault), but there is often no constraint other than your own self-imposed ones (and your own effort to keep face)

If you have the time and the desire to learn, go for it.  So what if you are a little older and it takes you a little longer to soak in things.  The only one who doesn't need to learn anything is a dead one...

Thanks all for sharing the ideas. Yes I just want to learn it but not for a degree or anything else. I know some pieces of music already so I'm thinking of getting a Violin to start :)

Will make it as my hobby. Hope oneday I can play well :)

Nice weekend to you all ***!

so I can compose music to my kids:))

so sweet! You are your own god and you can do what you desire, this is your time never worry about age. i think your teacher? so should learn more about life skills, i think a combination of having babies, aikido, cooking and music. something you can teach someone else.good for the sou.dont be sloppy with it or learn it half way.