Teaching Chile

Hi

'Teaching Chile' is advertising job vacancies for teachers in Chile (advertised on Dave's ESL), but requiring a $50 "application fee" plus an unspecified "placement fee" that appears to be $1,200?  They also required a 6 part questionnaire with 250 words each.

eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=27361

I have never had to pay a recruiter for a job placement or fee before, & suspect this might be a scam?  Or is this normal practice for Chile?  In Asia, the school pays all fees to the recruiter direct.

Can anyone advise reputable recruiters in Chile please? Or should I contact schools direct?

Chris I think you'd better stay away. An application fee is one thing, but a placement fee, especially one so high...it looks like a scam, IMO. Professional schools don't do that, you should just contact the schools directly. Or ask for more details at least.

Here's a list of international schools in Chile (left column), that you can look up on the Internet:
http://www.english-schools.org/chile/sa … ntiago.htm

I too would like to teach in Chile but I've been told very depressing things about it. Low pay, classist system etc...
I don't know what measures Dave's site takes to prevent scams but you ought to get advice from members there. I used to read their forums for info on teaching in Russia; I soon found that it wasn't as easy as it seemed, or well paying.

Be very careful with your money.

Hello
chrisj123 and naturefairy, unfortunately what they say about education. is true, the system is classist, our teachers have low wages, low salary,our teachers have public education and private system here can win a little more, so if I can ensure that here in Chile, we treat it very well abroad are friendly, supportive , we love foreigners, many come to pass and continue to dwell.

I recommend you contact the schools directly. I'll be starting my third year teaching in Chile this March.  And I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. Yes, the wages are lower than you would probably receive elsewhere. But when you consider the cost of living in Chile, it all sort of balances out.

I should probably mention that I've only worked at private schools.

Chris,
I would advise you to contact language schools directly. There are several and you should have no difficulty in finding the right one for your expectations.
Sarita

I don't know about this company specifically but put your walking shoes on and go see the schools directly.  Don't just drop a CV with the secretary but ask to see the Director of Studies.  I found private lessons a great supplement.  Just be fair with your prices - Chileans aren't the richest people in the world.

I came with this group 2 years ago and I thought the same....however it's not. TeachingChile guarantees you a job and a salary each month..including vacation in July and December pay. It is a good starting point if you have no experience whatsoever teaching English. However, if you do have experience I would recommend finding language institutes here and not going through TeachingChile.

The placing fee also is for one month in the hostel while you look for an apartment..and assistance with getting your Chilean Id.

Be careful is not needed is risky.

Are the students in chile up to C2 level in their English?. What are you dealing with A1 A2 B1 or B2  exactly what is the quality Do they use technology---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------' do they know their
phonetics.
If they can pass a EILTS or TOEFL with 95 percent they are eligible for open scholarships for international students in OXFORD.
Greetings

They have to have 80 percent in their schooling. Best wishes I hope your students can apply in 2014.

The mastery of the 44 sounds of the English Language you find this in You tube, and using britishcouncil.org for teens and kids make a big difference. Technology bring perfection. Also daily practice on theinternet and reading audible books.
Britishcouncil.org phonemic chart they need to read English using phonics to have native accent from 0'13 years if taught correctly it will help them excel.

britishcouncil.org

If you have a foreign teaching credential from an english speaking country the employer will get you a vuisa. You need to be an experience ESL/EFl/Educator. That is why I sent you the information on the levels and ask you.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to head out to Santiago in the next weeks and will be looking for reputable language schools to submit my CV to. I've been looking online trying to determine the options, however, non of the blogs, articles etc give any information on the credibility of the institutes. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to which schools have the best reputation (regarding teachers and contracts) and which to avoid? Thanks.