Pure cacao wanted!!!

Dear all,
For making a X'mas cake, I am looking for pure cacao powder, but I can't so far find good one. I bought some cacao in the Ben Thinh market, but it is awful.......  Does anyone know where we can buy good cacao powder like VAN HOUTEN?
Help me please!!!!!
masashi

you come to Thai Hoa shop , 60 Ham Nghi street . They have Van houten Cacao

Dear Letrinh,
thanks for your info. I will try!!!!!!!!!!!!
masashi

Good luck with that, ive bought two in supermarkets it says 100% cacao and i buy it all excited and get it home and its got sugar and other crap in it, straight in the bin.

I know there are some growers down the mekong somewhere, ive been trying to get some orgonised but no luck. But my vietnamese friend said she has a kilo for me from some province north of hcmc, was supposed to collect it today but got held up, she said she will drop it off at my building before she goes back to hanoi tomorrow so I hope to get some and hopefully it's the real deal. Really miss my raw cacao!! :(

Hi Broomptish,

I heard that one French Chocolatier named MAROU produce 100% Vietnam cacao chocolate in its own factry near Ho Chi Minh City. There are some shops in Hanoi and here.
So, good luck this time!!!!

Masashi

masashi wrote:

Hi Broomptish,

I heard that one French Chocolatier named MAROU produce 100% Vietnam cacao chocolate in its own factry near Ho Chi Minh City. There are some shops in Hanoi and here.
So, good luck this time!!!!

Masashi

Any contact links of this factory?? Ill go their door and ask to buy some, I love raw cacao that much :) Oh and I still havent got my cacao!

Hi all,
I found the site of MAROU and the list of the shops in Ho Chi Minh.
But I still don't know that we can buy cacao powder there.

marouchocolate.com/?page_id=493

Good luck!

Masashi

Thanks for the help mate!

Hi Letrinh,

I found good Vietnamese cacao in Thai Hoa Shop that you recommended for me! Thank you so much!!!
The cacao I found there is named Premier Win, extra dark.
I found also many imported products of good price.
Yours,

Masashi

You're welcome . All the best to you .

Well I got some and the labels ripped off but its cacao allright! and im in heaven, ordered an extra two kilos, just want to say cacao is cacao, you dont get dark cacao, cacaos cacao, you do get different species from different parts of the world but its all very similiar. I will ask my supplier where she scores from, her english is pretty bad but shes got some great cacao, ive ate about 200g in 4 days, I need more, expensive habit! :D

Well, the cacao I buy at the supermarket (big ones, like Coop Mart or Big C) *seems* pure. Fine powder and bitterish taste.

It isn't cheap (70-something-1000 for about 150 g). It is what some VN friends buy as pure cacao. Be aware that drinking cocoa might also be called cacao in VN, so look carefully on the package, as some 'cacao' might be the sugary drink version.

How much was it in bulk? The dicky little packages from the supermarket are wasteful in packaging too.

Just want to say got some good cacao, actually from 58 Ham Nghi street, theres two shops very similiar so great suggestion letrinh, why I didnt try before I dont know. I got 500g of van outen for 220k and 500g of vietnamese for 90k!! Ive not tried the vietnamese yet, going to wait till the van outen is finished then use the tine for the other 500g as its in a very small tight packet and ive nothing to put it in, the van outen stuff is great!

That is good , you can find the cacao you want . I am happy too . Best Wishes

Hi there,

I frequent come to My Tho, Ben Tre, where the cacao was planted. I see the fresh Cacao fruit. If you need them, tell me few days in advance, I will buy back for you.

best regards,
Lucie

Thank you, Lucie!
But I don't know how we turn out cacao from a cacao fruit....
Masashi

Pls contact to this phone number 0908556602 Ms. Phuong to have good cacao. She is director for Coffee & cacao Co .