Gyor....

Hi, I'm married to a Hungarian, we are thinking of moving to Gyor. I wanted to know if there is much of an English community there and would it be possible for me to get a job there (my hungarian is limited to ust general conversation... but enough to do bar work or shop work) or would i be limited to giving kids english lessons as my mother in law thinks??? And is the pay enough to afford frequent flights to the uk? thanks xx

Hi!

As much as I have seen from Gyor, it's a nice, cheap town with great highway and train access to Budapest (and Western Europe.) It has attracted all kinds of large, multi-national corporations. Most famous are the local T-Com branch, the largest telecommunications firm in the country, and the Audi car factory. I'm not saying you are likely to get jobs at these, just that these probably drive a healthy economy.

Budaors, one of the most expensive towns with all the technology firms is just an hours drive away, 1.5 hours by train.

Do not look down on giving kids English lessons: As a native speaker you can charge quite a lot for that! May not be too satisfying, but if you plan to have kids anytime soon that's a bigger obstacle for your employment in Hungary than not speaking the language :-(

If you don't have a strict schedule for the flights home you can probably get regular good bargains with budget airlines from BUD, which is about 2 hours away (M0 highway-ring around Budapest rules!), but parking is a ripoff. Again, there are trains to take you there in 2.5 hours. You can also fly from Austria or Slovakia.

Good luck, have fun, and lots of fat children :-)

feherova wrote:

Hi, I'm married to a Hungarian, we are thinking of moving to Gyor. ...

There's not a lot in Gyor in my opinion. It's not like it's a holiday town. If you have a choice of towns, best to come to Budapest, than Gyor. If determined to stay somewhere closer to Gyor, you could always try Sopron which is pleasant enough but the road to Gyor from the motorway seems pretty dangerous (narrow, people drive too fast and lots of bends). I'm told there's some demand for English lessons in Austria, they probably pay more than in Hungary and they pay in Euros too. It's only about 20 minutes to Eisenstadt from Sopron by car and has a good train service to Vienna etc (ok, so does Gyor of course). Airport in Vienna is easily reached as it's on the same motorway (but you need a vignette - sticker for the car). The Austrians are very strict on the vignette law and they haven't yet discovered how to do the e-vignettes yet.

I don't have any idea .

Hi, I am married to an Engliah man and we live in England (I am hungarian), my family is from Győr and now we are looking to move nearby as from next Spring. I think Győr is ideal, because it is only a short ride away from Austria and Slovakia and it is not as expensive as Budapest.
If you have any questions, let me know. x

Hi,

After living in London for over 10 years we moved to Gyor 2 months ago and I'm finding quite nice. I'm a stay at home mum of an 8 month old and what I'm finding difficult is take my little one to english speaking groups. This is first due to the strong Audi influence and therefore you will find lots of activities in German but not soo much in English. Gyor is very pretty and very busy due to growing economy as Audi is opening a new factory at the moment. If anyone knows some groups for toddles please email me.
Thanks

If this helps, the Heavy Airlift Wing is nearby in Pápa (about 45 km SW of Győr) and there is an English speaking community there (mostly Americans however).

Thanks, but I'm only looking for a rhyme group for about 30-40min. I have a friend who teaches English for Germans in Audi maybe she will know a group a class.

But thank you for letting me know.

Hi all,

Nice to hear about all of you who are living and working in Győr or nearby. I was living in abroad (Czech Republic) and I moved back to Győr in 2012. This is my hometown. I was curious..are there any foreigners here..
How do you feel here?
Sometimes, I am missing the international environment what I had in abroad. Therefore, that would be cool to meet up in the city.:)

Adel