Is the country you live in really the best fit for you?

Is the country you live in really the best fit for you?

Don't know because I haven't been everywhere but Indonesia is fine.

not at all, i am stuck in here, my other half of me is not in this country :(

After near 50 years of wandering and working around the world Laos suits me just fine. Am well established there with family etc and have fly in fly out arrangement with my employer so I get home on a regular basis

No,  because getting a job is here is near to impossible, and the locals  are literally divided, one tribe doesn't socialize with other tribe, 70% of the food is imported thus expensive...
and the list goes on and on but what i really like is that it is extremely calm country. no traffic jams, no crowded streets, no noise most of the time...

dude I'm not sure that world is the best fit for me

I think the world I live in really is the best fit for me, because it has so many different countries that I can always pick one that fits the needs of my ever changing life situation - and also there's always something new to explore!

It beats Venus.  864 degrees is a little warm for my tastes.

Yikes, break out the asbestos undies....... darned hot for sure!

But seriously, I think Brazil is the best fit for me. Even with all the serious problems in this country. I have come to love it here and I'm quite happy. I guess that's because I'm firstly and optimist and secondly I have always firmly believed my destiny and therefore my happiness is something that is my own responsibility.

Living in Brazil is like some kind of a Twelve-Step Program, first of all you've got to learn the prayer:

God, give me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to understand the difference.

So far I guess I'm doing ok on all three of them.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I must say that I have to visit other countries and live for a while before I can answer this question.
But I have always dreamed of to live in Italy because I have my roots there. I went to much to the east then I ever planned but who knows what comes on my path.

you remember what you want to do, have to have a calm and composed mind, have good dreams, be at peace and in harmony, then it will be the right time, just not before then. no matter if you are young, old, married, single, have children, have no children, race, money, ill. healthy, remember, only you are a teacher, you're your religion, you are your all, just remember that :)

pinguinoma wrote:

you remember what you want to do, have to have a calm and composed mind, have good dreams, be at peace and in harmony, then it will be the right time, just not before then. no matter if you are young, old, married, single, have children, have no children, race, money, ill. healthy, remember, only you are a teacher, you're your religion, you are your all, just remember that :)

Darnit.. i am in the wrong country again..:P

well i ve never travelled before
i m living in my country
i love it , but i m looking to travel abroad and explore the world

houwayda wrote:

well i have never travelled before
i am living in my country
i love it, but i am looking to travel abroad and explore the world

better do it before the next end of world comes :D

hELLnoi wrote:
houwayda wrote:

i ll do my best

houwayda wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:
houwayda wrote:

i ll do my best

my best wishes for your future travels

hELLnoi wrote:
houwayda wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

i ll do my best

my best wishes for your future travels

:) thank u

and remember your passport :)

my passport is always ready
:)

Then book your ticket. You dont plan to walk or drive there, do you?

hELLnoi wrote:

booking my ticket needs money!!!!
i think message delivered , or not yet?

houwayda wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

booking my ticket needs money!!!!
i think message delivered , or not yet?

:P, you need to choose your destination first before you book your ticket :D
You seem all prepared except... get on to a plane and go. You mentioned several places you like to visit for holidays. Well, have you planned for the take off?
You might like to take an extended holiday before you be an expat. You will return home after your holiday. You may not have that option as an expat.

The country I live in is actually a horrible fit for me.  Luckily, the city I live in is far removed from the country I live in.

I am the expat, I have to fit in.

hELLnoi wrote:

Kindly read again the question.

Hericles wrote:
hELLnoi wrote:

Kindly read again the question.

Q: Is the country you live in really the best fit for you?
1. No, the country I am living in is NOT my country. That is why I am an expatriate in the country I am living in now.
2. No, the country I am live in is NOT the best fit for me.
However, since I am the expatriate, I have to fit into the country I am living.
(that is the reason, I follow this blog for expat)
When in Rome, do as the Romans. You are the guest in a host country, follow THEIR rules.
I have to eat the food from this country although I may prefer hot and spicey food.
I drive on the wrong side of the road I am used to.
- Did I understand the question? YES
- Did I answer the question? YES and now in more details.
Do you understand my answer? If YES, then let us move on.

yes it is, but i miss homies here. wanting to do job but suitable is not available new here and dont have much information

Hericles asked: Is the country you live in really the best fit for you?

Answer: it had better be! I have lived and worked in six countries (Australia, England, Canada, Bahamas, Vanuatu and Cayman), and once lived in Spain for seven months without working. I lived in Australia on two separate occasions, and in England on three separate occasions. You can tell that I'm an old, old codger, to have fitted in all those residences and still to have lived in Cayman for 35 years!

While I was living in each one, it was the best fit for me. Otherwise I wouldn't have been there. When I moved on it was because I/we felt it was time to move on, for one reason or another. Right now, Cayman is the best fit for the two of us; when it ceases to be, we'll be off. That's the way it should be for expats, I think. Does anybody disagree?

Gordon Barlow wrote:

it had better be! I have lived and worked in six countries (Australia, England, Canada, Bahamas, Vanuatu and Cayman), and once lived in Spain for seven months without working. I lived in Australia on two separate occasions, and in England on three separate occasions. You can tell that I'm an old, old codger, to have fitted in all those residences and still to have lived in Cayman for 35 years!
While I was living in each one, it was the best fit for me. Otherwise I wouldn't have been there. When I moved on it was because I/we felt it was time to move on, for one reason or another. Right now, Cayman is the best fit for the two of us; when it ceases to be, we'll be off. That's the way it should be for expats, I think. Does anybody disagree?

You are an old dog. Many of the younger puppies should learning to fit in or ship out.

No it is NOTthe best fit for me because the things that used to make me laugh are starting to irritating me, can't wait to get out of here.

OliverQuest wrote:

No it is NOTthe best fit for me because the things that used to make me laugh are starting to irritating me, can't wait to get out of here.

Well, five years is too long to stay in the one place unattached (per your Profile), if you're not happy there. Three years was always my limit, even attached. Maybe you went to Namibia with too-high expectations.

Certainly, when you stop finding funny things, you need to move to somewhere else. Last November I blogged about "Aiding and abetting adultery in the South Pacific". THAT was funny, and several other things about the place - the cricket, the joint British-French administration of the Islands at the time, running an unofficial youth-hostel, eating cats, and so on and on. But we still moved on. Actually, I remember now: it was my wife who stopped being amused, not me. (And no, the aiding and abetting adultery thing was NOT a factor!)

maybe yes maybe not.but work is the most important.isn't it?

jessie098 wrote:

maybe yes maybe not.but work is the most important.isn't it?

No, it's not.  Not at all.

Hey Gordon,you're right but actually i'm moving out next month. If you must know choosing to live abroad is not as easy as ordering a pizza over the phone.

What if you live somewhere that doesn't deliver pizza?

well for me it is sweetie ))

all my life I felt I didn't belong in the USA. If I were to believe in reincarnation I think I am from the Middle East

ninaelbe wrote:

all my life I felt I didn't belong in the USA. If I were to believe in reincarnation I think I am from the Middle East

I'm tempted to ask why the Middle East?

To ninaelbe
Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine or are there indeed more Portland's then that. I ask because Portland, Oregon is the city of my birth. In order to stay on topic, I have found that in general the USA is a very good fit for me. Is it perfect, no but I do choose to live here of my own free will so I do not believe that whining is an option available to me. So until next time may fate be kind to your destiny.

To me it is. I don't have the ADHD-DRD4 gene. I have access to all recent technology, my country is relatively devoid of poverty , we aren't in any wars, healthcare is very good, The cost of living is on the high side but earnings are too, the climate is "not too hot in summer" , "not too cold in winter". I live close to a lot of large European cities. Food is readily available and is of good quality, so are the restaurants. Architecture goes from modern to hundreds of years old.

Reading blogs and forums where people talk about their experiences with my country have also contributed to my feeling blessed with living where I am.

I am however , if fate dictates , not averse to living somewhere else. It would need to be something huge however to make me move permanently.

I am also not really nationalistic nor chauvinistic about my country.

Regards,
Phoenixxl.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR