Have you ever been stereotyped?

I've been encountering pretty nasty stereotypes.

I am a foreigner in Korea. I was already stereotyped before I even got here.

The locals feel that foreigners are the only ones who bring crime, disease and other problems. Those sorts of things are 'never comitted' by the locals. Foreigners are guilty of these things but only make up a tiny percentage of whats really happening, you just don't hear about it thats all. The only stuff thats reported is what the foreigners do and often it's inflated. 9 times out of 10 it's just an attack on us to make them feel superior.

I'm a white woman in Hong Kong.  China is a very sexist place that looks down on foreigners.  I'm also from Minnesota, so I've got all those stereotypes going on.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I'm a white woman in Hong Kong.  China is a very sexist place that looks down on foreigners.  I'm also from Minnesota, so I've got all those stereotypes going on.

We know you are white we can see you.
you are cool 'cos you are from The States your stereotypes aren't any worse than that of my own.

Is it a competition?

People experiencing it, and all depends on confronting them....

Couple of times

My 'favourite' ones, TOP 5 :)
1. as Polish you must be a catholic
2. you must drink vodka in the morning while Britts prefer tea, and French caffe au lait ;)
3. is she Polish? she must smoke like chimney!
4. she is Polish? are you sure that she doesn't wear excessive amount of perfum or make up? all Poles, Russians do so
5. Polish food is greasy or based on pork

Yeaaaa, I am not catholic, I do not smoke, do not drink, do not eat pork, wear very modest clothes and make up, my parfums are very light and thanks to my excessive consumption of Brittish tea the whole tea industry exists ;).

Love stereotypes ;). The make it easier to guess who is ok an who is fake and full of personal issues.

Hi all,

Yes, we "gringos" in Brazil get stereotyped all the time. Brazilians think we're all rich because they KNOW that money grows on trees in North America. So here if you don't speak Portuguese like you were born here you sometimes end up paying a lot more for things. Me, I speak the language better than they do, so I'm ok. When I do run into somebody who wants to charge me more because I'm a "gringo" and therefore must be a tourist I show them my Brazilian son's birth certificate. hahahaha and tell them I've been living here for eleven years. That usually resolves the situation real quick.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

who hasn't been stereotyped at one time or other in their life?

what does it mean " stereotypes"?

hakahmed wrote:

what does it mean " stereotypes"?

Google is your friend it can help you!

The stereotypes are not the worst thing in our life. The most important is how we handle them and how high impact they have on our life.
The more pople of different nationalities I meat and get to know closer the less prejudice I feel towards strangers. To be honest I also have some negative general opinions about things, places, people I have never known or experienced. This is how our human nature works. But you can always turn your bad energy into something more positive. A Swedes say: skaffa ett liv! - have a life!

Stereotypes don't matter anymore anyway.  Now you can get it all on your ipod.

indo people always getting stereotype in malaysia :(

ECS wrote:

who hasn't been stereotyped at one time or other in their life?

I don't think you have any reason to complain because most of the people stereotype Americans as good and friendly people,in this case making more friends is easier for you.

Hericles wrote:

I don't think you have any reason to complain because most of the people stereotype Americans as good and friendly people,in this case making more friends is easier for you.

I didn't realize this was a competition, and I find it rather ironic that you're stereotyping the kinds of stereotypes I should be expecting!

Plenty of Americans are stereotyped as being gun toting militaristic ignoramuses who are incapable of speaking any language other than American English at an ear-shattering decibel level.

Furthermore, as a woman, I get to enjoy a whole other set of stereotypes about my proper place in society, my worth as a human being, my physical capabilities, my perception of usefulness as I age, my skills in my (technical) career field that is 95% men.

I'm not saying that these are all impossibly burdensome, but I do think it's hard for one person to judge the experience or prejudice of someone of a different gender, living in a different culture and from a different culture. Especially via the internet.

Plus 1 isn't enough.

ECS wrote:

I didn't realize this was a competition, and I find it rather ironic that you're stereotyping the kinds of stereotypes I should be expecting!

That's what I said.  You have to love the irony though.

let's see , yeah i've been stereotyped , but mostly i'm to blame on that , first of all i'm a geek :D , i care about spending times with machines more than i do humans , i act kinda nice so for some reason ppl treats me like an idiot , which is nice cuz i can manuplate them using that :P

ECS wrote:

Plenty of Americans are stereotyped as being gun toting militaristic ignoramuses who are incapable of speaking any language other than American English at an ear-shattering decibel level.

Maybe you've learned that from the middle east folks.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Plus 1 isn't enough.

ECS wrote:

That's what I said.  You have to love the irony though.

Why does it have to be a competition?

Trying to use our words against us doesn't work if you don't understand what we're saying.

Hello.

Can you please calm down here? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Yes all the time!

yes :)
but i always surprise people  ;) i like that :D

houwayda wrote:

yes :)
but i always surprise people  ;) i like that :D

Thanks for the warning...

hELLnoi wrote: