Question about moving to VN

First of all, why is everything so confusing?

I did a search on the forum and read a bunch of threads...I'm now more confused than before. Anyway, I'm a US citizen but borne in VN. I'm planning to move there in the Spring. However, I'm not able to find out what's the best way to do that?

Some suggested to get there on a 3-month tourist visa and then after attaining work get a WP to be able to stay longer. But doing that, I don't have to keep leaving and coming back every 3 months right?

Secondly, what about my husband? How does a spousal visa work?

You start off with a tourist visa, which can be extended. You should reclaim your citizenship and then your hassles will decrease.

Your husband piggy-backs on you using a spousal visa/Residence Permit/Work Permit.

Seems confusing, really isn't, but it generates income for all those otherwise unemployable characters calling themselves 'agents'.

Okay, would it raise question if I go there on a one way ticket with a tourist visa? Also, I heard that my family in VN can sponsor me to decrease hassle and extend the length of my visa. Is that true?

I have so many questions and don't know who to ask. Will the VN embassy in the US answers all these question. Their website is a little vague.

Aqm22, If you were born in Vietnam you can obtain a Visa Exemption which is good for 5 years and stays up to 90 days at a time or you can apply for a Vietnamese passport through the Vietnam Embassy in D.C. The fee for a Vietnamese passport is about $300 and Visa Exemption is about $30. Vietnamese immigration is not too worried about you having a round trip ticket if you are coming from the U.S. or most European countries.

AQM22 wrote:

Okay, would it raise question if I go there on a one way ticket with a tourist visa? Also, I heard that my family in VN can sponsor me to decrease hassle and extend the length of my visa. Is that true?

I have so many questions and don't know who to ask. Will the VN embassy in the US answers all these question. Their website is a little vague.

How come people's initial posts don't include all the details?
The best source, most friendly VN location in  the US is the San Francisco consulate - they work California style.

Link: < http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/ >. The Washington Embassy is always far too busy, this time for some do in January.

If you were born in VN, as far as the VN government is concerned, you are Vietnamese.

Ask the SFO consulate - they will help you with everything. If you have children, they are also entitled to VN citizenship.

Taking/activating VN citizenship does not affect your US citizenship.

And, no, the airlines will not give you much of a hassle. They might require you to sign a waiver, but sign and forget.

The cheapest tickets are to be found at VNese or Chinese travel agents in your community.

AQM22,

Jaitch is right, everything is intented to generate a few extra bucks for those in the know there.  Don't let that frustrate you though.  If that gets to you now, you are not going to last long in Vietnam.  Perhaps, you should start with the 3-month tourist visa, just to test the water.

But, if you are determined and can keep a level head, then start with the 5-year Visa Exemption Certificate.  Extend it, when you need it.  Mean while, find something to do there.  Vietnamese immigration gods don't like to see young Vietnamese-Americans sit iddle too long.  It makes them nervous, and your every move will be a hassle, and a half. 

Once you are able to find something meaningful to you and be productive in Vietnam, reclaiming your Vietnamese citizenship will be a breeze; and after that, life will be a cake walk.

I already met with a couple of guys on here about similar stuffs.  If you are still confused, PM me.  I will be more than happy to sit down with you and your husband and explain to you what you will need.  Don't worry, I won't charge you a penny; I don't do immigration.   I just like to see others get the same chances that I did.  I'll be in southern California until the middle of January.

Whatever you do, don't bother with the Vietnamese embassy and consulate office things.  They won't help you much, but they can hinder you a great deal, if you get on the wrong side of them.

Best wishes,
Howie

AQM22 What Howie is saying is totally correct. He's been down the same road your heading, only back when he did it, which was awhile ago things have got easier. Hope you guys can meet up with him before he comes back. Jaitch also has some good points, but not about the consulate in SFO. The only reason I would go to them would be to get the VEC for you and your husband, rather than hassle with it in Saigon. The cost is almost the same as a 3 month visa. The best part of having it is CURRENTLY, you can extend it every three months with out the worry of doing a visa run out of country. I've been doing it that way for almost 4 years and haven't left Vietnam the whole time. It'll also do a few other things that Howie can explain when you guys meet up. Curious have you or your husband been back here lately?

Thanks for all the response guys.

@Jaitch - Sorry, I don't really know what information to include without telling you my whole life story. You've been very helpful and I appreciate it.

@Howie - You're currently in SoCal? Sweet! Let's meet up!

@Budman1 - lol, wow, this is why I get so confused searching for information. People always telling me contradicting things. To the VN consulate or not?

Anyways, I appreciate all of your help. I'm such a daddy's girl. This is my first time organizing and planning something for myself. I feel so overwhelmed. :huh: I don't want to have to come running back with my tail between my legs.

AQM22,

You have my number.  From now until I get back to Vietnam, anything that you are uncertain about, just give me a buzz.

Budman,

I have been chowing down on the good old American steaks and fries.  I just went out and got me a BIG bottle of A1 and will make myself some more.  Do you want any?  What about electric stoves?  I saw a lot of good ones, while shopping.