Moving to Brazil - How to ship a container

Me and my family are thinking in moving from Tennessee USA  to São Paulo Brazil   .  Thinking in ship a contêiner from door to door. . Do you guys. Know any good company ( website ) ?  And abou how much would cost ?  Thank you for the attention ..

I can tell you from personal experience you do not want to ship any large quantities of personal belongings to Brazil. Without a doubt the most ridiculous and stressful piece of bureaucracy I've dealt with to date. Not to mention the costs. Don't do it, at least via the ports. I cannot stress this enough.

Don't do it

I think a total shipping cost would be $13.000,00  + your packing expenses for a 40' container.
that about R$40.000,00 worth of  household in Brazil just for the shipping.
BUT If you payload your container wisely you will be on the upper hand with quality household products. Paperwork isn't that hard.. broker will help.

Hi Emily,

I am living in USA and want to move back to Brazil at the end of the year. What you mean move the stuff by plane? Should i call the airline and see how much it costs for them to take my 10 45gallon containers? I do not think I will shipping anything like you did. Can you provide me some info of when you say do it by plane. THANKS

Hello everyone, I am also moving to Brazil at the end of the year, and wondering how to move things. I don't have furniture or big items, but way more than 3 suitcases worth. Does anyone have any information regarding having to pay taxes? And landinbrazil, if you re still on this group, dod you have a broker when you shipped your boxes? Thank you everyone!

Aiciteli,
If you're moving to Brazil as a permanent resident, you have the right to bring in one ocean shipment and one air shipment  of used household and personal items duty-free.  Since you don't have furniture or large items, you may be able to make do with the air shipment only.
The Customs rules and documentation are complex, and it's essential to work with a mover who has Brazil experience.   The Allied and North American networks in the US belong to Sirva, an international group with extensive Brazil operations.   Allied handled my move from Chicago last year, and did a great job for me.
It all starts with having movers with Brazil experience come to your house and give you a free, no obligation estimate.   Don't waste your time with anybody who doesn't know Brazil:   it's too easy to screw up.  Good luck!

@landinbrazil what service did you use? $80 sounds much better than UPS or Fedex prices

09/28/22 @landinbrazil what service did you use? $80 sounds much better than UPS or Fedex prices
-@jabbaworks

landinbrazil's last post was eight years ago, so you're probably not going to receive a response. You might try going to his profile and sending a message directly, but chances are good that he's moved on.

Meanwhile, here's a more current thread on container shipments:

(https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 18#5490586)

@emilie116 thanks... I'm doing the same thing soon. I talked to alot of brokers. Need to pick one by Monday.  Its alot of paperwork n stuff to do.

@landinbrazil

hi i know this is an old post but can you tell me who you usd to ship thx

05/11/23 hi i know this is an old post but can you tell me who you usd to ship thx
-@danieldemetris

Please see Post #47 above.  We've been cleaning up old threads, and unfortunately the one I referenced in $49 seems to have been deleted.

If you're shipping your household goods by air or sea to Brazil, the most important thing is to find a mover who has actual experience in moving someone to Brazil and that partners with a company in-country to make a warm hand-off.  The rules and the documentation are extremely intricate, and to navigate both successfully, you need an experienced guide by your side every step of the way. 

@emilie116

Hi  @emilie116

We are moving from Ct to São Paulo, just don't know what  company to  chose. its very expensive to ship in a container.

What company did you use?

if you give me some information, I

appreciate.

Thanks

Mary

@emilie11

Hi Emilie

We are moving from CT to São Paulo.

Its very expensive to ship by container.

We are checking different options.

what company did you use?

appreciate any help

Maria

@Mariagraciete

Personally I would advise not to ship anything unless it is of financial or sentimental value, or key to your work. You can pretty much buy anything you might need in Brazil these days, and bring anything else on the plane with you - even if you have to pay a little extra. It is just not worth it.

I took several flights and brought back everything i wanted  The rest(cars,  furniture and items not allowed I sold and used the money to buy here. Had around $5000 total in airfare and extra luggage fees. I helped an expat get moved here from NC and he chose a shipping container and after all his fees he had about $17,000. The closest port was in Bahia and it was a nightmare what he had to go through.  Documents,  taxes, having everything labeled correctly. I wouldnt wish that on anyone. There is shipping companies that will do door to door but still a headache and expensive. I would recommend to bring what you need on the plane especially the sentimental value items and store the rest until you know the move will be permanent. I purchased a used storage building and put it on my friends lot and put all the rest of my things i couldnt bring here over 10 years ago. After 3 years I returned home and sold it or gave it away. Much cheaper to buy here. Lots cheaper. Best of luck and welcome to Brazil.