Public Transport Irritations

When I was thinking about moving to Oslo, one of the considerations was the quality of the public transport. On every visit I made before my move, the public transport was always excellent.

Clean, on-time, pleasant drivers, etc. How wrong I was.

While the city busses (the red ones) are pretty reliable, everything else (stor-oslo, nsb) seems to always run late with little or no information given.

Things are nice and clean though but very crowded, although the drivers can be a bit surly at times.

Is anybody else finding it as increasingly frustrating as I am?

I am so with you on this one. A major customer of the green buses (SL) I always complain about them. They're always LATE. So often that you could actually "count on it for being late". What a shame since I am paying 1065 NOK per month just for transport

I'm not complaining about the cost. I used to have to pay about £140 (1400NOK) per month to go between two stations just 20 miles apart, on the train.

What really annoys me about the SL busses is the information boards at Lysakker bus station. Frequently I'll be waiting, watching, counting down.

Eventually it'll say "nå". Then it disappears. Between 5 and 20 minutes later, the bus will appear.

My alternative is a train that leaves at exactly the same scheduled time but is just as unreliable. While the train isn't as crowded as the bus (which is really, really crowded), it's just too damn late all the time!

I'd complain but from what I gather from colleagues, it's always been this way.

I pay around 650kr a month for my bus card in Bergen.  Whenever I happen on the bus with colleagues or friends, they always ask me E' du ikkje lei av bussen? like it's some sort of trial.  I don't drive (read: can't), so I'm probably missing out on something.

The buses here are generally on time, and they pay your taxi fare if you wait more than 20 minutes.  What annoys me is the same stuff that annoyed me back in Scotland: people unwilling to have someone sit next to them.  Move it, old man, your bag can go on the floor.

sctld wrote:

I don't drive (read: can't)

I can drive brilliantly. I just don't have a license :)

People unwilling to have someone sit next to them.  Move it, old man, your bag can go on the floor.

I hear that. Although it tends to be the ladies on my bus. The whole front half of the bus is 50% women and 50% handbags.

@godsavetheking: I do complain about the cost, because although I live here, I am paying Danish taxes (I'm being "loaned" to the mother company) and not willing to pay that much for just a stretch between Oslo and Sandvika. You get better public transport service in DK FOR THAT PRICE.

SULK!

Maybe I am lucky to live so centrally. The trams I use have been very nice. I have had no problems. I only use NSB when traveling to Kongsberg and have only experienced some kinks in the service since the snow.

The Sub/Tram where I am in North Oslo runs pretty nicely... Heck the conductors are quite chatty when they are switching from North to South driving orientations.

In addition to being almost 25 minutes late, everybody on my train (Lillestrøm to Asker) this morning was kicked off at Sandvika and told to get the next one.

The train then returned to Lillestrøm! No explanation or anything.

godsavetheking wrote:

In addition to being almost 25 minutes late, everybody on my train (Lillestrøm to Asker) this morning was kicked off at Sandvika and told to get the next one.

The train then returned to Lillestrøm! No explanation or anything.

In the brutal, brutal cold.... Jeebus!!

@godsavetheking: I have already written TWO complain letters to Ruter# this month because their bus number 151 is always late. Not just 2-3 minutes late, but more like 10-15 minutes late.

Who did you write to? The only reason I haven't complained yet is because I don't know who to send it to.

The 251/252 and 266 buses are getting dangerously overcrowded - they're literally stuffing people into them (standing up). I dread to think what would happen to all the people standing toe to toe if one of those buses is in an accident.

If you open Ruter# website there's this customer service part where you can write your complain in some sort of form. It's a bit tricky to find and you have to select different categories out of many -  but I believe you understand Norwegian, no?

I found the link. I'll write them a moaning email shortly :)

I'll have to do it in English though - my Norwegian isn't that good!

There is a train irregularity that I think everyone needs to know...

Perhaps its me, but the Airport Xpress train that runs at 4:45am is advertised for its regular gate; however, it actually runs from Gate 6 at Oslo Central Station.

Take note because we Yank know that in order to get your day back (when travelling home) you will need to catch the 6:20 flight to whereever... (Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam, etc...)

What an awful hour to be taking the train. I was supposed to be going to the airport to catch a 6:20AM flight and booked a hotel at the airport instead :)