US Citizen marrying EU Citizen

I am from the US, he is from Portugal but we plan on living in Switzerland because that is where he lives and works now. In which of these 3 countries should we marry? and How long before I can live with him in Switzerland after marriage? Any other advice on any legal process or anything of that sort would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

Hi MXC and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

Hi, it is easy to marry in Switzerland, civil no problem, church is not needed. It may take you three months to get the paperwork needed. As non-EU citizen, you can only stay 3 months as a tourist. As wife of an EU citizen, you can come immediately, stay forever.
If you marry in the US you may avoid future questions about US immigration. Read the book elizabethgilbert.com/books/committed-a-love-story/

Hi,
I had the (somewhat) same thing last year - I'm American, my husband is Dutch and we live here in Bern.  I recommend getting married in CH since then the visa can be processed immediately.  Otherwise you need to wait on a LOT of paperwork before your marriage is acknowledged in CH.  The paperwork here can be done pretty quickly, but you do have a few week waiting period.  But as soon as the marriage licence is signed, you are valid for a visa here (and can live here without the paper copy) - it just takes a while for it to arrive.  I recommend going to the marriage office here in Bern and ask for details.  They are incredibly friendly and helpful!