US citizen marrying Swiss man

Hello!

I am a US citizen and my fiancé is a Swiss citizen. We are getting married September 2016 in Miami, Florida and we will be moving to Switzerland after our honeymoon. Can anyone give any suggestions on what steps I need to take in the moving process to Switzerland? Will our marriage be valid in Switzerland if we were married in the U.S.?

Also, I am currently a Registered Nurse with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and I also have an Associate's degree in Liberal Arts. What is the process of transitioning into working as a RN in Switzerland?

Kathy D.

Hi katrn1105,

Welcome to the community of Expat.com :)

I invite you to have a look at our guide > Living in Switzerland guide which will help you in various ways.

I invite members to help you more deeply :)

Thank you

Stéphanie

About your marriage: see https://www.bj.admin.ch/dam/data/bj/ges … dehe-d.pdf for the main rules regarding validity of your marriage. In short (but exceptions are possible):
- In general, a marriage between a man and a woman will be valid as a marriage for Switzerland. A marriage between persons of the same sex will be acknowledged as a "eingetragene Partnerschaft".
- Your Swiss fiance *has to* report your foreign wedding to the Swiss embassy. The embassy will translate the wedding documents and transfer them into the Swiss registration system. This procedure is free of charge(!).
- The Swiss embassy can provide you with more information on how to get these things arranged and will inform you about which documents you need to provide.
- It is recommended to contact the Swiss embassy already before you marry. It will make the whole procedure easier.