Cost of living in Buenos Aires

I wish I could live in Buenos Aires one day! I heard prices are interesting there ... if you are or if you've been living in BA, can you share your experience of prices with us?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub

we already received a couple of contributions in another topic:

apartment rent - 720 pesos

subway - 70 cents

bus - 80 cents

a decent meal - 15 pesos

1 bottle of 1 liter of beer in a supermarker - 2,15 pesos

a very fancy dinner with sushi - 80 pesos

---

Cost of living in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
First of all, we have to take into account the rate convertion. ONE (1) ARS peso is equal to Euros 0.24  or U.S dollars 0.32.

Anyway, IŽll try to to convert the prices in order for you not to figure out everything I post.

I do have my own appartment so I donŽt have to pay for rent.. but two years ago, I used to paid 700 pesos (U.S $ 225)

Electricity per two months is about Euros 10
Telephone per month: 35 pesos arg - 12 dollars
Internet 1 G 100 pesos / 33 dollars / 25 euros

Going out:
Eating:
Lunch: Main+soda/coke+desert or coffe: 12 pesos /4 dollars / 3 euros (in Palermo Hollywood, one of the most expensive places)

Dinner: Same kind than lunch. 20/40 pesos. Aprox Euros 10

A coffe: 3 pesos / euros 0.80 / 1 dollar
A 750 ml coke: 1.75/2 pesos / 0.50 euros
A sandwich: 3/5 pesos / Euros 1.50
A Marlboro box: 3.80 pesos / Euro 1

Transportation:
Subway: one way 0.70 pesos / some coins for you guys... 0.20 cents of euros
Bus: one way 0.75 same thing
Taxi: depending on the traffic... the minimum 4 pesos... 1 euro 10/15 blocks

A ticket to a Museum: 5/10 pesos

Here's my 0.02c

apartment rent - 720 pesos

Perhaps in the less desirable barrios of Buenos Aires.

I live in Belgrano and took a look in the real estate agents office window as I passed this morning. 900 pesos was the lowest i could find (unfurnished studio), 1100 for a nice looking 1-bed. Also, these prices dont include fees, expenses etc etc which nearly always come to around 25% extra in my experience.

subway - 70 cents

recently went upto 90 centavos. Still, awesome value.

food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

On groceries - around 600 pesos/month

health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

A freind has Swiss medical - 100US/month I think.

eduction prices (if you need to pay)

State schools are free.

energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Gas: 10 pesos/month.
Electricity: 35pesos/month.
Internet+Cable TV: 100 pesos/month.

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

Main: 20-40pesos. Dessert: 15 pesos. Wine: 20+ pesos.

prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub

Coffee: 3 pesos, Beer 5 pesos.

Inflation in Argentina is well above the official Government figure of 8%.  Current independent polls put it at between 16 to 20%.  The prices above will have to be revised monthly at this rate!

Prices here in BA have been going up, up and away. My 2 bedroom apt in Gran Buenos Aires cost $750 a month 3 years ago and now we're paying $1300! We'd rent elsewhere but the prices are the same or more anywhere else you go in the city.

Food prices have also increased dramatically over the past 2 years or so.

Generally speaking rental rates increase for locals at the annual rate of about 30 - 35% meaning prices double every two years.  Rates for tourists seem to be droppping some this year, but it is not yet high season and that could change. 

I know of a Peruvian restaurant serving a great lunch for 10 pesos, but generally speaking a decent meals is 30 pesos and up. 

I pay USD 700 rent a month for a 2 bedroom with a private terrace of 140 meters, but it is an extraordinary deal and I rent from friends.  However, if you take the time you can find incredible deals. It just takes a little effort. 

Food prices have increased by at least 30% the three years I have been living here and will likely rise even higher next year due to the extreme draught this year.  Argentina is expecting to need to import beef next year for the first time in its history.  Cows are literally starving to death in some areas due to the lack of rain this year. 

I still love Buenos Aires and find it quite affordable, particularly when compared to the costs of living in developed countries.

Buenos Aires is very cheap specially for Americans and Europeans due to current exchange rates. If you are planning to go shopping, probably going to malls is not your best choice. I have ralized that prices are much higher in malls than they are in the stores that you can find in Downtown Buenos Aires. Also, if you want to have a first class dinner, I think you should visit "Siga la Vaca" in Puerto Madero, you can eat the best meat for as little as 60 pesos.

In 2010 IN PESOS!!

- accomodation is at least $1000 pesos (that's basically the minimum to share a decent place in a decent area).
- 1.10-1.25 per ride on the bus or subway
- Food: about $500 a month on groceries (depends on the person!)
-Bills: gas/electric/water are cheap because they are partially subsidized by the government. Usually no more than $100 per month for an apartment.
- Restaurants and bars: kind of expensive. A liter of beer at a cafe is about 15 pesos. A pizza: 30 pesos. Empanadas: 3 pesos each. That's the cheap way to go. If you want to eat a steak dinner or a nice meal it will be at least $40 or 50 pesos (low end). A cocktail at a club or bar: $15-30 pesos. Entrance to a club: $15-50 pesos.

Hope this information is helpful to everyone!

Accomodation:
The brokers for argentinian are much different that for tourists: For a two year lease (unfurnished apartments) in Belgrano or Palermo, a 20/35 mt2 studio can cost between 900 to 1200 pesos, but this price doesn't include "rent" (expenses) nor utility billsand you need to have a garantee (a person that lives in BA that owns a house, prefrently in capital city) on the other hand, temporray rents can go from 700 U$S and up depending on you needs and the lenght of the saty, but usually the price inludes all bill and can even include maid service. I recomend you to check some sites ( like yes-apartments.com) .
Transportations:
Buses can go from 1.10 to 1.25 dependoing on were youa re going, if you just want to travel arround, one nice visit is to Tigre, you can take the bus 60 and they will take you teher for only 1.25 peso!!!
Subways ALWAYS costs 1.10, but you can buy a card were you can put any ammount of money.
Food:
Depends, I spend between 500 to 600 pesos a month in the supermakrket, buying meal for two ( although in the last month it has been very very hard as prices have riced) or you can get a pretty nice meal for 30 pesos in a mid class restaurant. remeber that you can also buy sandwichs, empanadas hot dogs and fast food meal in the streets.
Bills:
The state charges every two months, I pay 40 pesos for water, between 100 and 120 for electrycity and the mnost expensive one is GAs, 200 to 300 ( as they now charge you an extra fee beacuse gas comes from Venezuela) And all the bills have a samll ammount of increase, just some cents, to contribute to the presidents province, in thsi case Santa Cruz.
Restaurants and Bars:
Allways recomend "tenedor libre" (eat all you can have) they cost between 30 to 60 pesos, but you ahve lots of options. They charge extra for drinks. A coffe and some crosiants (medialunas) can cost between 5 to 8 pesos and a meal from 30 up. Bars charge between 15 to 20 pesos a beer and arround 35 for cocktails.
Hope this helps!!!

quickroute wrote:

Inflation in Argentina is well above the official Government figure of 8%.  Current independent polls put it at between 16 to 20%.  The prices above will have to be revised monthly at this rate!

I would say the 25% to 30% bracket would be a fairer guestimate .... but totally agree things are not as they seem and things are certainly being swept under the carpet, people seem powerless to do anything about the "undocumented features" of the re-elected

inflation is making everything rise but the dollar is still for times to the peso. As far as food goes, anything that is imported will be heavily taxed!! So bring your own spices, sauces, dressings, syrups, peanut butter etc. Meat and other basics are priced pretty good here(for an American). Public transportation is cheap but is chaotic and confusing. Its best to find a local to guide you through some things when you first come to Buenos Aires.

I have read that renting an apartment is very confusing. Do you truly need to pay months in advance? If so, what is the likihood that you may find yourself locked out after you pay for it all upfront?  Sounds suspicious I know, but I do like to have the "bases covered".

Also, is inflation still going up by the day??  It may make more sense to take a gamble on the EURO and go to Spain...Ugh, it is just so confusing.

Hi Boston,

Renting a flat in Buenos Aires works like you said: you will be asked to pay the rent in advance (sometime the complete term of your contract). Local people have to sign off their contract and they are asked to have a property as warranty, so that they can pay the rent monthly. Being a foreign people, it is supposed you do not have any warranty.
Furthermore, contracts are in Spanish by law.
As an owner, I ask my hosts to pay every three month in advance in case of long term contracts. I ask also for a deposit as warranty which is usually similar to anothe month.

Should you need further info, just let me know.
Cheers!