Help me to immigrate and study

Hi,this is somayyeh. it is not much time that i know this site. i want to immigrate to Brazil and i have so many question in my head, if any one could help me i would appreciate him.
1-I want to study in Master degree in TESL(Teaching English as a Second Language),is any federal university in rio or sap paulo for this field? ( i searched a lot universities sites but unfortunately they are written in Portuguese or only the first page in English).

2-Do they give fund to students?

3-is the courses in Portuguese?

4-if yes where can i find a cheap  school for learning portuguese?(can i get my visa according to this course?)

5- living in rio is safer or in sao paulo?

6-Do universities need TOFEL or IELTS or only passing the portuguese course is sufficient?

I will appreciate any one who could help me.

Hello somayyeh.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can read the other threads on Schools & studies on the Brazil forum. It could help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you!
i read them but they were not my answer.

sheikh_assad wrote:

I have not much ideas about that but ill try to make you understand.
1. I ll try to find and sooner post here.
2.No University will give you any kind of fund you have arrange by your self. or try to scholarship in any University.
3. Depends on the nature of Institution.
4. If your course duration if more than 3 months than you should apply for Student Visa and if your course duration is less than or equal to 3 months than you may apply for Tourist visa it can be increase for further 90 days so you can stay at Brazil for Mix 90 days.

Thank you for your answer. are you in Brazil now?

Hello Somayyeh363,

To answer your questions regarding universities in Brazil:

1. I am not aware of any university that will give a Masters Degree in TESL, if you could reply with a link to some of the universities that interest you I will look them over and let you know if any of them offer the program. There is a (Distance Education) Masters in Teaching English as a Foreign Language offered through FUNIBER

http://www.educaedu-brasil.com/mestrado/idiomas

2. Scholarships are offered to foreigners from certain countries who will be taking Masters Degrees in Brazilian institutions, by the Department of External Affairs. (see link)

http://noticias.universia.com.br/destaq … eiros.html

3. Portuguese is the official language of the country. Yes, all courses are in Portuguese except an English course.

4. Most of the recognized language schools offer courses in Portuguese for foreigners, these are not cheap. If you're looking for something less expensive you might want to consider a language exchange, teaching someone English or some other language in exchange for them teaching you Portuguese.

5. It's extremely difficult to say which city is safer at the moment. Both Rio and São Paulo are going through very difficult times right now. However, if you read my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" and follow the safety tips there you should be OK in either location.

6. The entrance exams (Vestibular) for all universities contains a section that will be in English. Your score on that is what matters not a IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

As far as I know, universities gives funds to people from other Portuguese-speaking countries. They have special programs for them.

Emerson

wjwoodward wrote:

Hello Somayyeh363,

To answer your questions regarding universities in Brazil:

1. I am not aware of any university that will give a Masters Degree in TESL, if you could reply with a link to some of the universities that interest you I will look them over and let you know if any of them offer the program. There is a (Distance Education) Masters in Teaching English as a Foreign Language offered through FUNIBER

http://www.educaedu-brasil.com/mestrado/idiomas

2. Scholarships are offered to foreigners from certain countries who will be taking Masters Degrees in Brazilian institutions, by the Department of External Affairs. (see link)

http://noticias.universia.com.br/destaq … eiros.html

3. Portuguese is the official language of the country. Yes, all courses are in Portuguese except an English course.

4. Most of the recognized language schools offer courses in Portuguese for foreigners, these are not cheap. If you're looking for something less expensive you might want to consider a language exchange, teaching someone English or some other language in exchange for them teaching you Portuguese.

5. It's extremely difficult to say which city is safer at the moment. Both Rio and São Paulo are going through very difficult times right now. However, if you read my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide for Brazil" and follow the safety tips there you should be OK in either location.

6. The entrance exams (Vestibular) for all universities contains a section that will be in English. Your score on that is what matters not a IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Tank you William :-)