1,000 Nigerian Women Stranded in Saudi Arabia

1,000 Nigerian Women Are Stranded in Saudi Arabia Because They Aren't Traveling with Men

For the fifth straight day, around 1,000 Nigerian women taking the Muslim Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca are stuck in Saudi Arabia airports because of a rule that says they must be accompanied by men. Speaking on condition of anonymity,  that the women were detained because "they are not accompanied by a mahram (the statutory male companion)." Nigeria's ambassador to Saudi Arabia said, "They are stopping women particularly between the ages of 25 and 35 without a male relative. Those over 45 are not a concern to the Saudi authorities."  One woman told the BBC that the situation at Jeddah airport has become pretty uncomfortable as hundreds of women are reportedly sleeping on the floor, have been denied their belongings, and are sharing only four toilets.

such a sad story i have read this news. I reckon those pilgrimages should be stopped before they travel from their own country since they didn't have the Hajj permit for not spending their money, and i think they should be compensated if they've got their tickets from travel agency coz they should be informed prior travelling

sauditalk wrote:

such a sad story i have read this news. I reckon those pilgrimages should be stopped before they travel from their own country since they didn't have the Hajj permit for not spending their money, and i think they should be compensated if they've got their tickets from travel agency coz they should be informed prior travelling

You've got a kind heart.  I agree that it's sad.

Dang the situation they are in is indeed a sad one, they should just be put on a flight straight back home rather than being detained.

islamically hajj is not an obligation, it only becomes obligatory if you have the means to perform it and having a mahrem is a must for women- if you don't have one you don't need to perform hajj and your intention and want to perform it is counted.

Here seems to be the problem:

And in the past Nigeria and Saudi Arabia have allowed the pilgrims' welfare boards to act as mahrams and have visas granted on that basis, reports the AFP.

It would seem that Saudi Arabia has suddenly decided against this arrangement without informing the pilgrims' welfare boards.

Hello, just to inform you that some posts have been removed.

Harmonie.

Harmonie, yes I noticed.  Thanks for that :)

Alliecat wrote:

Here seems to be the problem:

And in the past Nigeria and Saudi Arabia have allowed the pilgrims' welfare boards to act as mahrams and have visas granted on that basis, reports the AFP.

It would seem that Saudi Arabia has suddenly decided against this arrangement without informing the pilgrims' welfare boards.

I see. Even in the uk women without mahrems leave for hajj with a large group. Islamically it isn't supposed to happen but Saudi have allowed it- it's sad these women are caught up in the middle of this rule change.

I think being detained and having your belongings held back is worse than not being allowed to proceed with hajj.

That's me outta here. Even when one moderator makes a comment another chooses to delete the post. Enjoy.

gashead wrote:

That's me outta here. Even when one moderator makes a comment another chooses to delete the post. Enjoy.

I'm not a moderator, gashead.  I thanked Harmonie because there is a member who is a TROLL.

Seems to me the moderators have 3 choices:

1.  Let the troll stir up trouble and create a Muslim vs. Non-Moslim atmosphere (although if we all just ignored the troll, the problem would be solved but that never seems to be the case in forums).

2.  Ban the troll altogether.

or,

3.  Keep a close eye on the troll and moderate incendiary comments he might make.

Which do you think is the best solution?

gashead wrote:

Oh, and the troll made a comment AFTER the one I made about the eye-rolling.  I don't know what it was--received  an email that he'd posted but when I checked the thread, it had been deleted.

All I can think is that it must have been a doozy considering his FIRST nasty post wasn't deleted (until just now).

Harmonie wrote:

Hello, just to inform you that some posts have been removed.

Harmonie.

Thanx for ur prompt action :)

Oh my god! 1000 women stranded for 5 days !! That's very sad.

Won't the authorities do anything ?

It's the authorities who are holding them!!!

Alliecat wrote:

It's the authorities who are holding them!!!

Yes, but shouldn't they be providing something in the meanwhile.

It was the job of Saudi Embassy in Nigeria to not to issue the Hajj visas to women who were not accompanied by males.

The other side of the story is, people from poor countries come to places like makkah and madina in Hajj season for begging. A big number of street beggars can be seen on the streets of Makkah and Madina. And the Hajj seasons is the peak season for them to make money when people from all over the world gather there.

Being a muslim it really saddens me to know that Makkah has the highest and alarming rate of prostitution compared to other cities in saudi arabia. The Gov. is trying to take up all the measures to stop it.

No comment and a sigh!

ok im gonna be honest here.

It IS their own fault for putting themselves in the situation.

That being said, it is appalling that Saudi....which many military vehicles says "The kingdom of humanity" Is treating the women such as this.  Rather a shame honestly.