Searching for a safe country to retire to.

I am 62 years old, live in the USA and am looking for countries that are still considered safe places to live.
I have traveled a lot throughout parts of Latin America and always had a great time, but unfortunately many of those places have changed for the worse.
I have not yet traveled to Europe or Asia, but the research I have done sounds like there is an increase in safety issues there as well, although not on par with Latin America.
I realize that no place is crime-free, but it would be nice to live someplace where it isn't necessary to have bars on your windows and a guard dog, and be able to walk around even in the evening without doing anything else but using common sense.
Does anybody have any suggestions on countries that would bit what I am looking for?
Thanks in advance.

Malaysia is wonderful and they want people to retire there.

Hi palmtree22,

Have you ever been to Brazil? Have you spent any extended period of time here to really get to know the country?

I'm a Canadian, 63 years of age and semi-retired. I have lived in Brazil for over ten years now and have never had any problems, certainly none of the things you seem to be so fearful of. I've lived in five different states and visited several others so know the country well. Sure there are problems here but the violence you fear most is not generalized. It is directed within the young gang/drug related population. If you aren't involved in crime or drugs and you don't actively make yourself a target of crime it is a wonderful place to retire.

Please, before you just cross all of Latin America off your wish list read my posting "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" by following the link below. I can assure you if you take all the information to heart and follow the advice closely that you would love retirement here in what I have come to know as the only place on earth I want to be.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107384

I don't know where you get the idea that ALL houses in Latin America have bars on the windows and guard dogs. It is not true, sure many do but not all. I've lived in many of them and as I say I've never had any problems. The answer to personal safety is mostly using your head. Come to Brazil, you can thank me for the advice later.... by buying me an icy cold beer on the beach somewhere.

Cheers,
William James Woodward -Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Oh, and another thing.... the US Greenback is worth almost R$2 and steadily climbing so you get more bang for your buck here, something that a retiree must always think about.

The economy of Brazil is solid and steadily growing unlike the rest of the world so it is also a terrific place to invest if you have money set aside.

I have an uncle in his early seventies who is retired and living in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. Apparently it's pretty safe, cost of living is low and there are good medical facilities close by. The climate there is better than most parts of the country. The population there is small by Thai city standards, he's been there at least 5-10 years, don't think he'll ever leave.

kiwiinkorea wrote:

I have an uncle in his early seventies who is retired and living in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. Apparently it's pretty safe, cost of living is low and there are good medical facilities close by. The climate there is better than most parts of the country. The population there is small by Thai city standards, he's been there at least 5-10 years, don't think he'll ever leave.

I use a Thai expat forum.
Odd thing is, there are always stories about expat suicides, murders and expats getting beatings from tuk tuk drivers.

Having had a run in with a tuk tuk driver, I can see how it happens. That lot are greedy and many are positively nasty when you refuse their services.
Not all of course, I managed to find a really good one but many are terrible.

What is safe?  I can walk down dark alleys in the middle of the night around here, but I pay more for just about everything because I'm white.  We also have enough smog to choke an Ork.

Come to norway, if you have doubts,  google it..:)

Maauritius island-near Madagascar is one of the safest place on earth! contct me!

have  a look!

http://www.google.com/search?q=trou%20a … 4gSYwoHIBw

I have recently posted (to my blog) a couple of items on the subject of "bolt-holes" -- i.e. where to live in the event of a widespread economic collapse. The subject is a tough one to write about, not least because 1) there are so many options and 2) we searchers are so different in personalities and attitudes. The best thing one can do is to read as many commentaries and discussion forums as one can find.

Most of us are reasonably happy where we are now (or else we wouldn't be there!), but places change. Today's paradise is not necessarily tomorrow's. It's a mistake to stop researching too early, I believe.

Gordon Barlow wrote:

I have recently posted (to my blog) a couple of items on the subject of "bolt-holes" -- i.e. where to live in the event of a widespread economic collapse. The subject is a tough one to write about, not least because 1) there are so many options and 2) we searchers are so different in personalities and attitudes. The best thing one can do is to read as many commentaries and discussion forums as one can find.

Most of us are reasonably happy where we are now (or else we wouldn't be there!), but places change. Today's paradise is not necessarily tomorrow's. It's a mistake to stop researching too early, I believe.

Good point Gordon.
It's not so much a question of searching for a safe country in which to retire to today but finding a "bolt-hole" as you call it, i.e. a place where you can survive well (think money, energy costs & climate, food availability etc. etc.) after the proverbial Fit Hits the Shan ;).

Naturally about 95% of the Western World's population will remain in denial until it's too late, so-called "normalcy bias".

I certainly have my doubts about the suitability of remaining in Europe what with the mad hatters of the European Union and the fact that some of the leading EU Commissioners are ex-Communists who IMO are leading the EU into a massive disaster.

BTW Gordon.
From where I am in the middle of a large continent that every few decades has blown up like a firework that had a faulty fuse the place you are in right now (Cayman Islands) strikes me as good as many other places on this planet. Naturally when things finally go critical you can never know exactly which way the wind is going to blow.
If you have a Cayman passport as a getaway bolthole you may consider a country in South America that is favourably inclined to CI nationals.

I see South America as a good place to be because there are many countries close to each other allowing you to change residence quickly and assuming you are of European descent you will sort of 'blend in' if things do get critical.
PS That is one thing that is not in Asia's favour. Blending in in bad times is of critical importance.

From where I am, in a tiny British colony that may be sold to the USSA at any time (who knows?), Switzerland looks pretty good, Jost! Aligning the Swiss currency to the Euro was misguided, but your rulers will probably be able to protect you better than EU rulers will their citizens.

We have UK/EU Passports, as well as C I ones; but if Britain's leaders see its future as merely "Airstrip One", then neither will put us beyond the reach of the Bad Guys.

There are several online forums that carry advice on acquiring Passports of Convenience, and Latin American ones are the most favoured. One doesn't have to live in the land of one's passport, after all, so "blending in" wouldn't necessarily be a practical problem.

This morning, as though ordered for this thread, this YouTube was in my email in-tray.
Doug Casey speaks, among other things, on the subject of getting out of the US and Europe to avoid social troubles.
Surely one of his best!

An Anarchist, Economic Collapse & 7 billion Chimpanzees

Jost. I'm glad I trusted your judgment enough to watch this video. I have a general prejudice against videos, and almost never watch one that's longer than five minutes. This one was well worth the time; everybody should watch it - especially US citizens. A friend of mine subscribes to Casey's newsletter, and forwards them to me. We (the friend and I) are right up there with Casey in our assessment of where America is - and my blog-posts reflect this, as you may know. My friend is desperately trying to renounce his US citizenship at the moment.

Casey's land-investment bolt-holes are Argentina and New Zealand; mine (with a small fraction of his wealth) are Cayman and Norway. At my age I'm more concerned with how my Norwegian grandchildren are going to cope with a world in chaos. Maybe I should buy land in Latin America somewhere, but I have a prejudice (so many prejudices...!) against land because of its immobility, and I suspect that immobility is going to be a killer when the chaos comes.

Casey is spot on when he compares today's US with Germany in the 1930s. Scary.

One advantage of having lived in Switzerland for many years is that I also have acquired a Swiss passport which is a good document for travelling. I notice that Casey also sees Europe as potentially a dangerous place when things turn down. Switzerland is too close to the EU and even now the EU is 'breathing down our necks' forcing Switzerland to adopt many of its rules and practices. If it wasn't for Swiss direct democracy Switzerland would already be in the EU since most of our political parties and politicians have over the years been favourably inclined to joining.

I have looked over your blog Gordon and it is a very useful tool for anyone considering moving to Cayman. Also your two posts on Boltholes. If there were similar blogs for most other places it would aid searching.

One of the best blogs on the Web is http://www.overseas-exile.com written by an American in Paris. In the Archive index (on the left-hand side of the homepage) can be found helpful references to several countries that offer bolt-hole comfort for expats whether working or retired. I get the impression he intends to add several more; it's a site well worth checking from time to time.

Hi Mr Palmtree22
There is a saying "you can't have your cake and eat it" some would say American foreign policy has made it difficult for people like you who want to enjoy their retirement in a foriegn state!

I can only tell you where I have lived and my experiences of what it is like for me to make my suggestion,hope it is fair advice.

I grew up on an island called Christmas island in the Indian ocean,it is now starting to be realized to be a good retirement by some mainland Australians as a place of peace and security.

Fishing and golf would be the main items on the menu.

The drawback of an islolated island is the cost of living,other than alcohol and tobacco which is duty free.

There is lack of adult oriented industries,perhaps thats how some like it to keep the peace.

At the moment the island is a stepping stone for refugees to migrate to Australia.never the less there hasn't been any outbreak of crime from refugees affecting the locals due to the fact that they don't want to spoil their refugee applications.

No kidnappings,drive-by's,bombs going off,gang violence,etc in any corner of the island.Never happened and most likely won't.

No one owns a gun here so there is no gun related violence,well other  than the sheriff.So unfortunately security and rule of law is A1 dished out by the Aust Federal police,bugger!

There is plenty of property for sale some going back to the post war era,from the hilltops to the coastal areas.

The Australian economy is one of the best in the world right now and has not suffered the latest GFC,and is considered one of the best places to put ones money.

Mmmh ...Xmas island is not a "bolt hole" hope I haven't disappointed anyone but you can be sure you get locked up for being the bady...LOL

Check it out mate!

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

What is safe?  I can walk down dark alleys in the middle of the night around here, but I pay more for just about everything because I'm white.  We also have enough smog to choke an Ork.

What are you doing there?is by choice or your forced ? Are you being kidnapped as we speak?

mas fred wrote:
kiwiinkorea wrote:

Odd thing is, there are always stories about expat suicides, murders and expats getting beatings from tuk tuk drivers.

Having had a run in with a tuk tuk driver, I can see how it happens. That lot are greedy and many are positively nasty when you refuse their services.

Well foriegners go there for you know what,imagine the tables were turned what would you do to a foreigner who acts like KING SH*T!

A lot of foreign tourists go there for you know what.

Their antics are what focuses attention on foreigners and this gives them a bad name.

I have many expat friends who are living in Asia,quietly and happily. Some married, some not.

I myself, am happily married with a family, living in Laos and have been coming and going from there for the last 40 years

What about Dubai although it is difficult to get into
But no crime I lived there for 2.5 years and felt really safe
used to walk at night all the time and never an issuses

Asside from personals perceptions and experience, some "data" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … icide_ratehttp://www.poptens.com/2012/04/17/top-1 … e-in-2012/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co … _by_decade

I would sugest Portugal :)

oiltownblues wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

What are you doing there?is by choice or your forced ? Are you being kidnapped as we speak?

I have no idea what this means.

mas fred wrote:
kiwiinkorea wrote:

Have read many similar stories but for the most part I don't find all that stuff much of a problem. I have been to Thailand twice now and never had any issues. People complain about the inflated prices for 'farangs' but when you convert it mentally it's still chicken feed. Why haggle for something thats cheap in the first place. Everybody's gotta make a buck somewhere along the line.

Yes many foreign males go there for the ladies, my uncle indeed has one too, but they've traveled offshore together on a number of occasions, he's contibuted highly towards her son's university education, together they have a nice life.

I haven't personally met any nasty drivers etc, maybe I've just been lucky, who knows.

I have been coming and going from Thailand/Laos for over 40 years and have never had any problems regarding safety etc.

I finally settled in Laos and live there safely and happily with my family.

I'd suggest Portugal because the Euro crisis made all the prices drop down there especially housing that's awesome.
Don't travel to islands though generally they are expensive.

hello,

I am Portuguese living in the Netherlands due to professional reasons but I would like to suggest you two country: Portugal and Spain. South of Portugal are used by retired (not only)people to stay there forever or ust for part of the year.
Moderate weather, hot in the Summer, beach, mountains, trees, excelent food (in Portugal), nice people, organised communitys,less expensive them other European countrys (Italy or France) etc. It depends what your are looking for.

Just go to Google or Youtube and search for Algarve (Portugal) or Marbella, Benidorm, Torremolinos (Spain).

Hi what not try Asia?I must suggest Cambodia so many expat here, and while enjoying the beach and the beauty of nature pls read my proposal,

Expat living five years in Sinville is looking for a business partner and investor ($15k-$20k) interested in the bar and restaurant business, diving, kayaking, snorkeling, sailing and other water sports. The business I having in mind will generate enough income for two Western families to live a comfortable life in Sinville plus putting some money into the bank; will help the marine environment and the families living in the fishing village near Sokkah beach. Contact: Sinville[at]Hotmail.com or a SMS to: 0978997943

Pick Portugal.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR