Just Moved to Haugesund, need advice and to meet new people!

Hey
I have moved to haugesund from england to be closer to my norwegian girlfriend. We met in england while she was studying and have been together 1 year and 7 months. Anyway to cut a long story short i have been here 1 month now and got everything sorted finally! (paperwork and jobs seem to take forever here)
I thought it was all going great. But yesterday my gf said she didnt want to be with me anymore and only wants to be friends. Not an easy situation you can imagine.
I have my own place, and a few friends, not many but a small few. I am close to my hobbies and i have some work opportunities.
However i feel like shit and wonder if anyone has been through the same and can give advice?
And also if anyone is near by and wants to meet up!
Thanks
Will

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I actually know someone who ended up in a very similar situation, also in Haugesund. I think it's terrible to allow/encourage someone to move like that, and then decide you don't want to be with them. Not that I know the details in your case, but as a general rule. I think you have to try to decide what you want. There are many great opportunities in Norway, so it is possible for something good to come out of the situation.

As for friends, that's always a difficult one in my experience. I think many foreigners in Norway, particularly in places like Haugesund, are doing well if they have only a few friends. Hobbies are a good way to meet new people. Norwegian classes are also a good idea. You'll meet a lot of other people who are new in the country and are looking for friends.

Good luck,

David

Thanks! Yes i want to stay. when i am in a stable job and can pay for more hobbies i think i till be fine. Then i will be able to afford a norwegian course too, but i am learning alot on my own. Thanks for your advice!
WIll

i have been here 5 years now Will, just down the road from you. I recommend that you try and take a Norwegian course as soon as you can as dmcart13 said. I made the mistake of not taking a course where i live and had one paid for through work in another place. Once you start picking up the language, everything should fall into place, although I still wouldnŽt call Norway home..:)