Helping Filipino Family

I have met a Filipino family that I would like to try and help by buying them a small business eg food cart, taxi, jeepney. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?

Hello Michael Sadlon.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will give you some advices.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Where is this Filipino family located?

in Manila (Taguig)

Michael
are they relations to ur GF or wife?
because it wont stop there if they are, one of the biggest problems expats have in Phil is supporting family, it has broken up so many relationship here, be careful
If u r just feeling sorry for this family u better grow a thicker skin because poverty is rampant here
Pete

blueoakey wrote:

Michael
are they relations to ur GF or wife?
because it wont stop there if they are, one of the biggest problems expats have in Phil is supporting family, it has broken up so many relationship here, be careful
If u r just feeling sorry for this family u better grow a thicker skin because poverty is rampant here
Pete

I agree with you but Michael Sadlon knows the entire scenario. It's up to him if he will help or not. If he is rich and has a lot of money, he could help and after that he will see what would happen next.

@Michael Sadlon, I suggest food cart or buying them a jeepney/taxi is good idea. Stick to your budget.

It is just my suggestion.

Hi Mike,  I admire your thoughts on helping someone, but i really think If you want to help the needy you dont need to go onto that huge amount like buying them taxi or jeepneys to a single family because you could help a lot of families out there for that amount. Except if that is in any relation to yours. But if not, I think a food cart is a big help.

Enjoy and God Bless!

I agree with Versan!

@Michael Sadlon, in Philippines I noticed that some people think of foreigners as rich people. There are also some people who ask help every time because you helped them once.

It seems to me that with supply and demand laws, taxi, trike or a jeepney would be a horrible idea in Manila.  I have seen too many of them either driving around near empty or waiting for hours in hope for more passengers.  Morning and evening run FX seems to be in demand however.  I have a girlfriend forever waiting around in a line for an FX whether it's morning or evening.

But with my experience with my family in Cebu, the upkeep of one of those transportation based businesses is expensive and sometimes exceeds profit taken in.  Later they could be asking you for upkeep costs which defeats the purpose of the business.

So with that said, a food cart would make more sense.  Even though there is little to be made, it wouldn't have the upkeep expenses, only the expense of buying the daily/weekly supplies.

That's just IMHO.

Hi guys, food is really the way to go...look at Edgar Sy from Iloilo,founder of Mang Inasal.He made a huge financial gain from his chicken brand. Now Jolibee owns 80%. Acquisiton was 3 billion pesos.  And that's why i started my own brand as well.

[Moderated: No free ad please]

rsrexpat wrote:

Hi guys, food is really the way to go...look at Edgar Sy from Iloilo,founder of Mang Inasal.He made a huge financial gain from his chicken brand. Now Jolibee owns 80%. Acquisiton was 3 billion pesos.  And that's why i started my own brand as well.

[Moderated: No free ad please]

Sounds effing delicious.

There is so many ways in helping filipino families., i presently handling a non profit organization in Pandacan Manila that was established by my mother in 1991., but very sad she passed away 3 years ago and i have no choice but to continue what she started. Our supporters from individuals, politicians and other agencies help these children by giving them gifts every christmas and school supplies every school year. and the family received foods from Unilever.

Hi im new here :) im sure you have alot of ideas bout this but I would like to advise you not to give them dole outs. they need to work for it otherwise they would not feel any sense of ownership.

I worked before in the government and i have documented some successful coops from small towns in the provinces. what some towns did was to organize a coop, the coop was given a mother pig which will be taken cared of by 1 of the members. The first birth  the member taking care of it will have the offsprings. in return the member will give 1 offspring to the coop and the cycle go on. this was successful. Although it wont be applicable to this family maybe it can give you one idea how to help progressively.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to expat-blog. I admire your compassion in wanting to help this Filipino family.

If you desire to help them and want to make sure the effect would be long term, then it is best to determine first what sort of business they may want to have. Next determine if they are capable of managing and growing the business you are going to give them.

You can give them the options that you can afford like you mentioned. Keep in mind that buying taxi and jeepney means you also need that franchise to operate on a specific route. If it's a food cart, know if there is a place ready for them to set it up. Note that there may be a need to pay for the space.

Pricing: food cart would be the cheapest and prices starts at 30K ($700) to 100K ($2500) .  Jeepney you can buy ranging from 60K ($1400) to 150K ($3500) and taxi would be somewhere between 250K ($6000) to 1M ($25000).

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep up the passion to reach out!