Libya- After the revolution

Dear all,

Just a quick question regarding Libya, What is it like now, after the revolution?

I ask this question because I used to work there in one of the five star hotels based out of tripoli, we had to be evacuated due to the unrest! It is one of the most unforgettable times of my life. I am very much looking forward to returning sometime soon!

which hotel u worked in libya ??

Hilton wrote:

which hotel u worked in libya ??

I worked for the JW Marriott!

the Marriott as you probably know is still closed. supposedly there were water problems but have heard nothing further. too bad! hope it re opens soon.

life is fine. people are friendly and fact much happier...the govt has been scared to do much but i do think that is due to change after Eid when they get a real govt in place. the optimism is still high and there is definitely a better vibe now that the Gadaffi is gone. slowly slowly they are getting a handle on things but I do think the vast scale of what needed to be done was underestimated. every single ministry and institution was riddled with rot and corruption and it takes time to get rid of that but i think the will is there and that in a relatively short amount of time we will finally start to see a change.

much more in the shops and many new shops opening. Cinnabon an american franchise opened and did 45K USD in the first month and last week the UK shop New Look has just opened...it's a trickle now, but will no doubt be a flood with each newcomer's success.

m0j0working wrote:

the Marriott as you probably know is still closed. supposedly there were water problems but have heard nothing further. too bad! hope it re opens soon.

life is fine. people are friendly and fact much happier...the govt has been scared to do much but i do think that is due to change after Eid when they get a real govt in place. the optimism is still high and there is definitely a better vibe now that the Gadaffi is gone. slowly slowly they are getting a handle on things but I do think the vast scale of what needed to be done was underestimated. every single ministry and institution was riddled with rot and corruption and it takes time to get rid of that but i think the will is there and that in a relatively short amount of time we will finally start to see a change.

much more in the shops and many new shops opening. Cinnabon an american franchise opened and did 45K USD in the first month and last week the UK shop New Look has just opened...it's a trickle now, but will no doubt be a flood with each newcomer's success.

Thanks so much for the update! Sounds like things are starting to go the right way!
Interesting that you mention certain corporations are starting to make a move on libya cosidering the fact that they were literaly non-existant during gaddafis rule!
45K US you say? I would like to get a piece of the pie too! Haha.

Cinnabon did 45K in their first month....was this during Ramadan?

Individual Cinnabon stores have an average sales of $425,000 (ref.
http://www.answers.com/topic/cinnabon-inc). This equates to approximately $35,000 per month.

So, you're telling me that Cinnabon, Tripoli did better than established stores, with customer base, in it's first month!!

This story doesn't add up and I think this is hype.

Inflating revenue to increase company value is not uncommon!

Any thoughts?

Tripoli and libya as a whole before the revolution didn't have many international companies such as cinnabon, that is a fact coupled with the month of ramadan it is very likely that they could have posted a 45K USD revenue!

In terms of international investment from certain global corporations Libya is a gold mine! As mentioned before, no major iternational companies, the market is open, huge amounts of money to be made!

YIKES even more -- i stand corrected it did 45K USD in it's first WEEK -- http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/01/smallbu … /index.htm

also they were open every night of Ramadan and they have lots of carry out - so even for Ramadan you could get ice cream, cakes, cakes and cinnamon rolls.

sahboon wrote:

How is it you guys Libya it's safe don't be scery (hhhhh)
we are a house of real estate if you face difficulty in finding housing living accommodation in places safer and offer our clients services in terms of transportation from the airport to your residence or hotel,

Are you contradicting yourself? you say Libya is safe then offer to find housing in "places safer". So Libya is safe only in certain places?

Anyway please advertise in the classifieds section rather than cluttering other threads with you advertisement.

m0j0working wrote:

YIKES even more -- i stand corrected it did 45K USD in it's first WEEK -- http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/01/smallbu … /index.htm

also they were open every night of Ramadan and they have lots of carry out - so even for Ramadan you could get ice cream, cakes, cakes and cinnamon rolls.

oh dear why do they do it? With all the things that need to be done in their country they choose to line the pockets of western corporate giants and line their stomachs with yucky* factory processed cakes.
(*they look yucky, i've never purchased nor consumed one)

the libyan sweet tooth trumps all -- :)

naomaah wrote:
m0j0working wrote:

oh dear why do they do it? With all the things that need to be done in their country they choose to line the pockets of western corporate giants and line their stomachs with yucky* factory processed cakes.
(*they look yucky, i've never purchased nor consumed one)

Its a matter of American investment now, the country is now comletely open to things that it wasn't open to before, such as fast food take away joints like Mc Donalds and KFC. It is almost inevitable for this type of thing was going to happen

Great

Now I know where to go when I get the munchies.