Renting in Dar es Salaam

I'm an American expat looking for accommodation in Dar es Salaam. I am interest in a multi-bedroom apartment, furnished with security, internet, etc... I've seen a few places and have been surprised at the high prices of rent. I want to know what I can expect to pay if I want to be somewhat close to town...

I will be working in TZ but am unsure if I am required to pay the VAT tax or, if I do pay it, do I get it back when I leave the country?

I have been looking at apartments with agents but would like to know if it's possible to lease without using an agent. I am using one simply because most of the ads online are no longer current and it is difficult to find apartments any other way. If I sign a lease using an agent, what is a reasonable fee for the agent to charge?

Thank You! Any help is appreciated.

Hi coverlie,

I hope other members will be able to advise you. You may want to put an ad in the Housing in Dar es Salaam.

I wish you good luck,
Christine

hello!
welcome to Tanzania, VAT in Tanzania is in most cases a non refundable tax, but I don't think if the government charges it to worker's salaries.
Hiring an apartment without an agent is possible and especially if you get a goodwill friend who is familiar to the area, and incase you haven't got one, I may assist you in that. for an apartment near the town area like in mbezi, sinza, kinondoni or mikocheni the costs normally range from 150 up to 300 dollars, depending on the conditions.
much regards!

Hi Coverlie,

Hope you have found your desired accomodation. If not let me know and I can provide some details. I got a 3 Bedroom apartment for 1500 USD per month. The complex has swimming pool and Gym , with parking and biometric security etc. If you are planning to stay alone - you can even explore the paying guest option, not too many but there are a few decent options available. All the best and do revert if you need anything more. Cheers