Vietnamese Citizenship for foreigners

Is there anyone who can advise me on how to obtain the Vietnamese citizenship for my daughter? My daughter is Romanian and her mother is Vietnamese. She is 5 years old and she has been living in Vietnam since she was 6 months old. I highly appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
Dan D

Dan,

Was your daughter borned here?  What about your wife, is she still a Vietnamese national or did she immigrate to Romania and acquired Romanian citizenship?

Wild_1 wrote:

Dan,

Was your daughter borned here?  What about your wife, is she still a Vietnamese national or did she immigrate to Romania and acquired Romanian citizenship?

OP wrote: "She is 5 years old and she has been living in Vietnam since she was 6 months old."

That means she was NOT born in VN. She moved to VN starting age 6 months. Change reading glasses bro.

Little woman,

You do, indeed, have too much time on your hands.  Perhaps, you ought to get a summer job, or something... 

My reading comprehension is fine, and so is my personal understandings of the ways in which Vietnamese do things!!!

Vietnamese women, when they marry foreign husbands, often bear children, to secure their marriage and/or smooth petitioning processes to immigrate.  But when their children are borned in Vietnam, to foreign fathers, the filing of Vietnamese birth certificates take on very different twists, often beyond these women's capacities.  So, they tend to skip them or put them off.

Do you now understand, little one?  Life here is a lot more complexed than the one you see in California...

Wild_1 wrote:

Little woman,

You do, indeed, have too much time on your hands.  Perhaps, you ought to get a summer job, or something... 

My reading comprehension is fine, and so is my personal understandings of the ways in which Vietnamese do things!!!

Vietnamese women, when they marry foreign husbands, often bear children, to secure their marriage and/or smooth petitioning processes to immigrate.  But when their children are borned in Vietnam, to foreign fathers, the filing of Vietnamese birth certificates take on very different twists, often beyond these women's capacities.  So, they tend to skip them or put them off.

Do you now understand, little one?  Life here is a lot more complexed than the one you see in California...

Oh! I must have hit a nerve in brother Wild1. It's always fun to get a rise out of you. As for your reading comprehension, ask your buddy Anatta what he thinks :joking:

Iknow an Englishman who married a VN woman from Hai Phong.

Daughter 1 arrives and the woman consults a senior person in her village and the sage said register / passport her as English.

Second daughter arrives and the husband says register her as VN.

The mother and daughter 2 have no hassle living here, father and daughter 1 had to border runs util she was re-registered, and money paid, as VN.

Father spends every month away so he doesn't need any more border runs.

The answer for the OP is get mother confirmed as VN citizen then work on the daughter.

Amberlulu is a very typical woman :'D she seeks out chances of bickering whenever she feels like to or has nothing to do :D don't be offended I'm one of the kind, once i think i know a person a bit. Let me make a guess sis, I think you're a very smart one, enthusiastic, which sometimes leads to impatience :D you always see the errors and mistakes of somebody and find funny comments out of it. A normal person would think it's funny, until they're made fun of and offended. Well if it's not you, maybe I was just talking about me :dumbom::joking:

A friend of mine found herself in this predicament.  But, when she wanted to avoid the border-runs for her child, it was relatively simple:  we went to the hospital to find one of the staff members to sign off on her delivery, then the ward police and it was done.

But, if your child was born (Thanks, Jaitch!) outside of Vietnam, then the process is a little more complicated and costs a bit more.  But, it will all start at the city administrative office (So Tu Phap), where your wife is from.  Just buy the package from them and follow the instructions on that package.

Hi everyone,

Let me make myself more clear:
- My daughter was born in Romania, she is Romanian citizen, she owns a Romanian citizen, but she is Vietnamese native speaker, she needs visa every 3 months (it is free and easy to obtain)
- I am in the same situation as my daughter.
- My wife is 100% Vietnamese, she was born in Vietnam and she has been living in Vietnam since then.
All I want is Vietnamese citizenship for my daughter without loosing the Romanian one.
Thank you all for your answers ... hope that there will be a solution!
Dan D.

rojamin wrote:

Amberlulu is a very typical woman :'D she seeks out chances of bickering whenever she feels like to or has nothing to do :D don't be offended I'm one of the kind, once i think i know a person a bit. Let me make a guess sis, I think you're a very smart one, enthusiastic, which sometimes leads to impatience :D you always see the errors and mistakes of somebody and find funny comments out of it. A normal person would think it's funny, until they're made fun of and offended. Well if it's not you, maybe I was just talking about me :dumbom::joking:

**Well, I can't help it if Female have different DNA from Male.:gloria

Dan,

I am still a little confused:

My daughter was born in Romania

My wife is 100% Vietnamese, she was born in Vietnam and she has been living in Vietnam since then

So what gives?  It is very important that you clarify this because it determines where you will start the process of gaining Vietnamese citizenship for your daughter.

Like many other people, my wife traveled to Romania (with me) and she gave birth there. She was just a tourist. She was, she is and she will always be Vietnamese. The fact that she gave birth in another country than Vietnam doesn't change her citizenship status.

Dan,

OK, that makes things a lot easier. 

Since your wife is a full-fledged Vietnamese, all you guys will need to do is go to your local administrative office (So Tu Phap) and buy a citizenship application package for your daughter.  It has all the instructions in it.  Follow them, pay the fee (about 3 million VNDs, the last time I checked) and, after about 6 months, your daughter shall have her Vietnamese citizenship.

Note:  The administrative wheels here are old and run very slowly.  If you need your documents faster, "grease" them a little, and they will run amazingly fast.  Don't tell them that I told you.  Your wife, being a Vietnamese should know this quite well herself.

Best of luck,
Howie

Well, sounds easy, but ...

Since now, I have asked several lawyers (lawyers who work for Government institutions, people who have lots of relations etc) and all of them said that it is possible but in the end everyone came up with the same result: it is not possible. When I open up this topic I was thinking that one of the members encounter a similar situation and can give me a solution.

I know someone in the same situation who solve the problem with the Vietnamese Embassy in Paris (he is French). I have asked the Vietnamese Embassy in Romania and guess what: "it is not possible".

Thank you all for your responses and if I solve anything I will let you know.

Dan D

Dan,

Let you wife go meet them herself.  Your presence WILL only make it harder.  I am certain it is possible, as long as your wife has all her documents. 

By the way, you guys will have to give her a Vietnamese name, OK?  Romanian name they will not accept.

Dan,

I have been assuming that you guys are living in Saigon.  Right?  If you are, it should not be that difficult. 

You guys have all your documents; marriage certificate, your daughter's Romanian birth certificate, your wife's Chung Minh Nhan Dan and Ho Khau; right?

If your daughter has Romanian names, you must give her a full Vietnamese name, in order for them to accept.  Don't ask me why; it is just how they want it.

Negative on the full Vietnamese name. Only 1 of their names need to be Vietnamese. My son has an English first and last name and we gave him a Vietnamese middle name. With a little fuss they did accept it. The law doesn't state a FULL Vietnamese name. You do have to have 1 of the names be Vietnamese though.

Jayhawk (or anyone else),

Would you know where that law or passage is stated?

I had previously contacted the local VN Embassy since our child will be born outside of VN.
They told me all I need to do is register with them within 3 month after birth. They said I only need to provide the birth certificate along with parents details and marriage certificate (if married).

Nothing got mentioned to us about “Names” or a citizen application package, is that maybe only required if you apply within VN or after the 3 month period?

Another question I haven't found an answer to is how many nationalities can a VN citizen obtain, is there any regulations or even a limit? We would be applying for 3 passports/ citizenships. Anyone know?

Hi Snake,

I am not sure where the law states this rule. I had read on a forum before my son was born how the law states they must have a Vietnamese name. But another couple said the Gov. told them that one of there names need to be Vietnamese. So they argued and they let the middle name be the Vietnamese name.

I remembered this when my son was born and when we went to the office to register his birth they told us his name had to be Vietnamese. We argued that only one name needed to be Vietnamese but really we didn't know if the rule was true or not. They said yes the name he will be called in Vietnam. We said okay we will call him by his middle name. So they agreed his middle name was Vietnamese and his first and last name were English.

The law was made in 2009 about this which just says their name has to be Vietnamese. It does not state about First, Middle or last name.

Here is a link to an article which gives some information.  http://www.lookatvietnam.com/2009/06/ne … nship.html

Found another forum that gives the Article of the law.
http://en.www.info.vn/life-and-laws/mor … -name.html

-Chris

Snake77,

Sorry to have gone off on you the other day.  On that thread, and with that nick of yours, I had to assume that you were the new-and-improved snake oil salesman...

In regard to your child, registering him/her with your local Vietnamese embassy is just to ensure his/her Vietnamese citizenship is "considered."  Let's say that your wife, on one sunny day, decides to renounce her Vietnamese citizenship, those costly paperworks will be what your child is going to need, when he/she wants to become a Vietnamese citizen. 

But, if your wife has no intention of renouncing her Vietnamese citizenship, then they are just going to be some expensive and time-consuming junks.  Getting such paperworks done here, in Vietnam, is much much easier and cheaper than abroad.  So, take that into consideration, Snakeoilman.  JK...

As for citizenship, Vietnam has recently moved to recognize multiple citizenships.  I know for a fact, because I am one, that Vietnam recognizes dual-citizenship.  But more than 2?  I am not too sure.  But, I strongly believe that will depend on which nationalities they are and how well you guys are doing in Vietnam, etc.

As for the names, they HAVE to be Vietnamese.  Now, which is a Vietnamese name?  That is entirely up to the discretions of your local administrators:  Luc, Long, Lulu...  are all Vietnamese names, as far as these fellas are concerned.  But, let's say that you want to name your child John, Frank, Sebastian...  that is an entirely different story.

How good will that story get?  That depends on, just like the number of citizenships that one can have, who you are and who you know.  The "you" here refer to mostly your wife and her family which, for the sake of political correctness, I won't get into.

I hope this answers a few of your questions. 
Howie

Jayhawk,

Thank you for taking your time and posting these links. Now I'll let "the Boss" look at them and figure out while I go for a beer or three…

I had a hard time convincing her that we NEED a Vietnamese (middle???) name, I don't mind at all, but she is the one who's thinking about names other than Phuong, Quynh or Nguyen & Co.

She would prefer to not have any Vietnamese Name in there at all, don't ask me why!
Oh and don't get me wrong, it's just a name issue thing, she would never dream of renouncing her VN citizenship, NEVER!

I only want my child to one day be able to live, work or whatever in any of the countries/continents that we hold nationalities.

Anyway, when the day comes, I'll be back to up-date this thread on how we managed things.

Now to you Wild_1, "No star where!" on your snakeoil rant (HAHA, guess the nickname made you fall into some sort of Kaa-style hypnosis there...)

JK aside, thank you too for dropping these lines. I really appreciate your answers, you gents have helped to clear things up or at least the Boss is giving me a break for now!

I think I'll wait with the third passport until we have the VN one done.

Probably won't be that much of a „story“ with these administrators, „we“ have things creased and while „we“ is going to pay a visit to the folks in green, I'll be at some other place (BTDT)...

THX again!

snake77 wrote:

she is the one who's thinking about names other than Phuong, Quynh or Nguyen & Co.

As long as the names are not Bích, Dung, especially Mỹ Dung, Dũng,Dương, Đồng, Hùng, Long, Phát,  Phúc or Phước, Sơn, you should be OK.

I trust you find the reasons obvious :).

Following the code no. 78/nd-CPC/2009, you have to meet 7 typical criateria if You are a pure foreigner
(1) Normal mental
(2) Respecting vietnamese constitution, law and custom, habit
(3) local language is enough For life
(4) five years continous residence more from the application
(5) prove to ensure for life yourself
(6) Refuse your previous Citizenship
(7) a vietnamese name (first name and last name and maybe the middle)

Maybe less than some above conditions if you are special ones

Snake77 wrote:

Now to you Wild_1, "No star where!" on your snakeoil rant (HAHA, guess the nickname made you fall into some sort of Kaa-style hypnosis there...)

You were more articulate than those fellas, so I thought that you were the-new-and-improved Snake Oil Salesman.  I think I mentioned that to one of those guys, too.  Regardless, I am glad that you are not.

"Greasing the wheels" work wonders here.  But nowaday, there are a lot of limits.  Let's just say in your child name...  The "right person" can make Megan or Camen Vietnamese.  But, Fred or Elija would be way way too much for him/her to overcome.  F and J aren't even in the Vietnamese alphabets.  So, remind your "Boss" to keep things in perspective.

Best of luck,
Howie

Anatta wrote:
snake77 wrote:

she is the one who's thinking about names other than Phuong, Quynh or Nguyen & Co.

As long as the names are not Bích, Dung, especially Mỹ Dung, Dũng,Dương, Đồng, Hùng, Long, Phát,  Phúc or Phước, Sơn, you should be OK.

I trust you find the reasons obvious :).

I think, I saw recently a "quick boom" or similar, whatever that might mean :D