The Ellis English Club

Interesting!!
I told you to observe a toddler walking on his/her own. And you come here without doing so, blaming me that I am an alien?? You hurt me!! :sosad: I would eat you if I were an alien for real!!

Ok, read this:How early walking looks like

At first children walk with their legs wide apart and take rapid short steps to help prevent them toppling. The broad base makes it hard for them to centre their weight over the foot on the ground as the other leg comes forward. This makes them "toddle", which is why they are known as toddlers.

That's called RUNNING, I mean. :cool:

Am I off topic?? Sorry for my being irritating again!! :(

ConRua wrote:

I miss Amberlulu's comments. They were thought provoking, upfront and honest. I guess she probably concentrating on preparing for her class since school season is back in full swing again.

:offtopic:

If you didn't like the club, you don't have to come back.  It's a simple as that.  I'd like you to come back and show us exactly how it should be done.  You seem to be an expert, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll continue to do what I feel is best.  You need to consider the fact that you came to the first class and we weren't as prepared as we should have been.  I'm certainly not going to apologize, as it was free.

I've received a lot of emails thanking me; somewhere in the vicinity of 10.  I'll concentrate on them, as opposed to the "critique" that you have produced.

"Interesting!!
I told you to observe a toddler walking on his/her own. And you come here without doing so, blaming me that I am an alien?? You hurt me!! :sosad: I would eat you if I were an alien for real!!

Ok, read this:How early walking looks like

At first children walk with their legs wide apart and take rapid short steps to help prevent them toppling. The broad base makes it hard for them to centre their weight over the foot on the ground as the other leg comes forward. This makes them "toddle", which is why they are known as toddlers.

That's called RUNNING, I mean.

@Unei: I called you an alien because you do look like an alien from planet Venus (by the way, all women are from Venus and men are from Mars). There is even a book that confirms this. Try to google the Title if you don't believe me.

Since you and Hongloan both agree that tmarks club/class is a waste of time and BORING I think we should all stop attending. We don't want to stroke tmark's ego and give him wrong idea that he is saving country.  I also think it is best to warn your friends at school about how unproductive it is.

My advice. Try Youtube. They have alot of great english speaking exercises that you can practice at the comfort of home.

Best Wishes...

ConRua wrote:

@Unei: I called you an alien because you do look like an alien from planet Venus (by the way, all women are from Venus and men are from Mars). There is even a book that confirms this. Try to google the Title if you don't believe me.

Since you and Hongloan both agree that tmarks club/class is a waste of time and BORING I think we should all stop attending. We don't want to stroke tmark's ego and give him wrong idea that he is saving country.  I also think it is best to warn your friends at school about how unproductive it is.

My advice. Try Youtube. They have alot of great english speaking exercises that you can practice at the comfort of home.

Best Wishes...

YOUTUBE???? :lol: 

Here's a better alternative.

Call my boss and tell him whatever you'd like!  Do you really think it would harm me, or that he would even listen to you?  No and no. 

My ego?  You're joking, right? I give up 4 hours a week on this, in total.  I'd rather not come in there on a Sunday, in a  volunteer capacity.  It's my conscious that I'm trying to appease mademoiselle, not my ego that wants to be fed.

Additionally, I know I'm not saving the country, because I'm not trying to.  Tell your friends, family, or whomever you'd like!  I don't want unmotivated and cynical expats there, as we've already met our quota!

P.S.  Thanks for the motivation.  Tomorrow's class will be ANYTHING but boring!

ConRua wrote:

Best Wishes...

I have never said that Teacher Mark's club is a waste of time and boring. I said that I DID ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF IT AND I APPRECIATED HIS ATTEMPT. Sorry for making you misunderstanding me due to my bad English.

Hi ConRua
Can you please stop talking teacher Mark like that?. He's very kind to set up a class free for us and he and his friend- Simon- work with all their heart. I shared my opinion because I hoped it could make the club more successful. The more the club is success, the more Vietnamese have opportunities to practice English. Is that the thing we need, isn't it?. At the beginning,I think they have many difficult problems. Do you have any plan to help not only teachers but also people who want to practice English?. I appreciate for that so much.

HongLoan wrote:

Hi ConRua
Can you please stop talking teacher Mark like that?. He's very kind to set up a class free for us and he and his friend- Simon- work with all their heart. I shared my opinion because I hoped it could make the club more successful. The more the club is success, the more Vietnamese have opportunities to practice English. Is that the thing we need, isn't it?. At the beginning,I think they have many difficult problems. Do you have any plan to help not only teachers but also people who want to practice English?. I appreciate for that so much.

What a lovely thing to say. So typical of the sweet, charming young LADIES I've met since arriving here in Sai Gon ! :)

Me thinks some of the self-centered, self-opinionated others who make such rude and unnecessary comments should take a good long look at themselves in the mirror - and be bloody well ashamed of what they see looking back out at them !

I'm an Australian - so that's NOT swearing as far as I'm concerned - before the guilty ones (you know who you are ! ) - go getting on their high horses and complaining of my language !  :P:rolleyes:

"ConRua
I am not yet an expatriate, but I am looking for information about life abroad.
I am Canadian, and I would like to live in Vietnam. I am currently in quebec."

ConRua you realized that this is what you wrote on your profile? Then how did you go to one of this class?

I've been to one of this class and i thought it was pretty good.

Anyway, just chill relax enjoy life.. there's no need to bash other people.  If you don't agree with someone's methods then create your own club. the guy is doing a considerable thing for your fellow Vietnamese, so give credit where credit is due. Breath and exhale.

ktnguyen wrote:

"ConRua
I am not yet an expatriate, but I am looking for information about life abroad.
I am Canadian, and I would like to live in Vietnam. I am currently in quebec."

WTF??  :lol:

"Thanks." to those who appreciate our efforts; "Duly noted." to any detractors!

Teacher Mark wrote:

WTF??  :lol:

Come on Teacher Mark. Don't tell me that you don't know that ConRua is the reincarnation of the one banned at your request!!.

Just notice the style of writing, for one.

- The English is too good for a Vietnamese learner. How many Vietnamese learners you know can quote "Women from Venus,.."?
- The same basic mistakes: the capricious capitalization of nouns where none is required, the missing commas??
- The idiosyncratic writing: a$$, @Unei.
- And at last but not least, the intentional mean spirit.

Teacher Mark

Since you have shown yourself as one interested in Vietnamese history, let me tell you about a well-known Vietnamese hero.

You mentioned Le Loi and Le Lai, but you did not mention Nguyen Trai who arguable was more known than Le Lai in assisting Le Loi to defeat the Chinese. In Saigon, you have Le Loi street in D1, runs into Le Lai street then continues on to Nguyen Trai Street around Pham Ngu Lao area.

Anyway, what people don't normally know is Nguyen Trai, despite of his great contribution, was punished to death (along with his, his wife's and his mother's entire extended families).

Legend has it that Nguyen Trai ordered to clear up a field and a snake's family was killed. The mother snake, as a revenge, reincarnated as a beautiful woman and drew up a scheme to have Nguyen Trai punished.

See anything similar? :D

Teacher Mark, I,d like to come and join but I have hidden agenda. My question here to you is: am I welcomed if I have hidden agenda?

I googled "hidden agenda" and I came across this http://www.socionics.com/articles/hiddena.htm

Anatta wrote:

Teacher Mark

Since you have shown yourself as one interested in Vietnamese history, let me tell you about a well-known Vietnamese hero.

You mentioned Le Loi and Le Lai, but you did not mention Nguyen Trai who arguable was more known than Le Lai in assisting Le Loi to defeat the Chinese. In Saigon, you have Le Loi street in D1, runs into Le Lai street then continues on to Nguyen Trai Street around Pham Ngu Lao area.

Anyway, what people don't normally know is Nguyen Trai, despite of his great contribution, was punished to death (along with his, his wife's and his mother's entire extended families).

Legend has it that Nguyen Trai ordered to clear up a field and a snake's family was killed. The mother snake, as a revenge, reincarnated as a beautiful woman and drew up a scheme to have Nguyen Trai punished.

See anything similar? :D

I know who Nguyen Trai was.  My first apartment in Vietnam was on that street and someone told me the story.  I've retired from song writing though, so it's too late!

Similarities?  It would be real hard to compare anything in my life to what Nguyen Trai went through!

LoveLife wrote:

Teacher Mark, I,d like to come and join but I have hidden agenda. My question here to you is: am I welcomed if I have hidden agenda?

No.  You can take it over to Master's Cup, where you'll be much more comfortable.

LoveLife wrote:

I googled "hidden agenda" and I came across this http://www.socionics.com/articles/hiddena.htm

Did you spot their hidden agenda?

That makes me laugh out. I,ll be more comfortable in other place.

Teacher Mark wrote:
LoveLife wrote:

No.  You can take it over to Master's Cup, where you'll be much more comfortable.

Teacher Mark wrote:

It would be real hard to compare anything in my life to what Nguyen Trai went through!

You can start with the snake part first and we'll see how it goes :)

LoveLife wrote:

My question here to you is: am I welcomed if I have hidden agenda?

It is not that hidden of an agenda, is it, Casanova?

Anatta,

I see that you are uo to no good, AGAIN!  Snake oil still sells, hey?

Speaking of the devil, here came the Father of all Casanovas (or should I use Mother of all Casanovas to be 100% correct since this is, after all, an English learning thread :unsure ). Judging from his new avatar, his agenda is not that hidden either :).
Teacher Mark, sorry for having hijacked your thread. ;)

Teacher Mark,I'm a new member.I'm a student in HCM C.Can I take part in this class?

phantom148 wrote:

Teacher Mark,I'm a new member.I'm a student in HCM C.Can I take part in this class?

Of course.  You have the details, such as time and place, right?

Anatta wrote:

Speaking of the devil, here came the Father of all Casanovas (or should I use Mother of all Casanovas to be 100% correct since this is, after all, an English learning thread :unsure ). Judging from his new avatar, his agenda is not that hidden either :).
Teacher Mark, sorry for having hijacked your thread. ;)

What are your ransom demands?

Teacher Mark

My demand is quite modest actually. If you can make Howie just put on a shirt (and judging from the picture, the pants on as well), I would gladly give back your thread.

Howie, for the sake of God and decency, man!!.

Anatta wrote:

Teacher Mark

My demand is quite modest actually. If you can make Howie just put on a shirt (and judging from the picture, the pants on as well), I would gladly give back your thread.

AWWWWWW !  Leave the guy alone !  He's just enjoying LIFE ! :cool:

Actually, I'm just a little bit jealous of him !  :P
Wish I was that young again - without loosing all the memories, knowledge and experiences of course ! ;):lol:

Flip465 wrote:
Anatta wrote:

Teacher Mark

My demand is quite modest actually. If you can make Howie just put on a shirt (Oand judging from the picture, the pants on as well), I would gladly give back your thread.

Wish I was that young again - without loosing all the memories, knowledge and experiences of course ! ;):lol:

howie. You are in serious problem, young man. Had not been for Uncle Flip here, i'll ground you for a month. Now, no more camera for you, kiddo, before God know what else you'll post here. Howie..., stop play with that 'thing', put on the pants and come here to say thank you to Uncle Flip.:D

Anatta wrote:
Flip465 wrote:
Anatta wrote:

Teacher Mark

My demand is quite modest actually. If you can make Howie just put on a shirt (Oand judging from the picture, the pants on as well), I would gladly give back your thread.

howie. You are in serious problem, young man. Had not been for Uncle Flip here, i'll ground you for a month. Now, no more camera for you, kiddo, before God know what else you'll post here. Howie..., stop play with that 'thing', put on the pants and come here to say thank you to Uncle Flip.:D

SAY WHAT ???????  :o

HEY !  You just behave yourself Anatta ! 
Any more of that sort of talk and I'll run you over with my wheelchair  ! :P

Now, - where the h*ll's my white cane ???

I may be old and senile - - - You'll have to come back later to change the nappy nurse ! - - - but I can still tell the difference between male and female ! :/
ESPECIALLY here in Sai Gon !  There are SOOOOOOOO many ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS women here - a guy can get 'whip-lash' from his head snapping around trying to let his eyes follow them ! :D

I'm no-bodies 'uncle' - I'm NOT attracted to males that 'mince' when they walk (or any other males either) - so here !  :P:lol:

BUT THE WOMEN !  O M G !

This city has to be the World's Capital for SWEET, YOUNG ANGELS who don't walk - they glide / flow as they move along.

You just watch what you say - or I'm bash you with my handbag ! :P

Flip

Now, it seems that you are the one needing to behave :D.
Well, you are not alone. I'll let you read this article from the San Jose Journal last year about this.

http://blog.vietnam-aujourdhui.info/pos … o-homeland

Anatta wrote:

Flip

Now, it seems that you are the one needing to behave :D.
Well, you are not alone. I'll let you read this article from the San Jose Journal last year about this.

http://blog.vietnam-aujourdhui.info/pos … o-homeland

HA !  I don't have any choice EXCEPT to behave !

My 'BETTER HALF' is 100% a traditional Vietnamese coming from an 'old fashioned' traditional Vietnamese family. :)

I wouldn't change her in any way at all ! :D
( Except maybe the volcano that explodes when I manage to do something stupid that she doesn't approve of ! )

Why do you think so many 'western' men are finally starting to appreciate the true beauty that can be found here in Viet Nam and it's WONDERFUL LADIES ???
The Vietnamese LADIES of today have a very special way about them.
The ones I have met through friends here are smart, beautiful,(inside and outside) intelligent, kind, educated, hard working, tender when they want to be - hard as steel when they need to be, straight forward and thoughtful of others - why wouldn't any man want to has such a LADY by his side ??? 
( Just my humble opinion :D )

Teacher Mark wrote:
LoveLife wrote:

Hi teacher Mark
My English is not good so I don't understand what the hidden agenda means though I've used dictionary and the link. Can you explain it for me?. Thank you.

HongLoan wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:
LoveLife wrote:

Hi teacher Mark
My English is not good so I don't understand what the hidden agenda means though I've used dictionary and the link. Can you explain it for me?. Thank you.

I apologize in advance to the "Vietnamese purists" that are dwelling in this thread!

Google Translate = ẩn chương trình nghị sự                                                                         

In English:

Hidden = secret

Agenda = plan

Ulterior motives are the same as hidden agendas.  For example, if I wanted something for organizing this, but I don't tell anyone, then I would have a "hidden agenda". I don't have one, I'm just curious(how many will come?) and happy to be teaching in Vietnam.  I have a good life here and just wanted to try to help a few people, if possible.

A group of people can have a plan, such as trying to get Buddhists to convert to Christianity by opening a place for the Buddhists, or anyone who isn't a Christian already, to practice their English, that would be a hidden agenda.

A plan like that could also include luring innocent and unsuspecting English teachers (me) to a coffee shop that they own, to work as a volunteer teacher.  Then, if the teacher keeps coming back(like I did), more people may come, which would give them more people to try and convert to their religion.

So, what's a hidden agenda?

There will be no meeting this Sunday, September 2nd, in observance of the Vietnamese holiday and day of mourning (Ho Chi Minh gave a speech declaring Vietnamese independence in 1945 and then died on the same day in 1969). 

The next day that we meet will be Sunday, September 9th.

Teacher Mark wrote:
HongLoan wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

Hi teacher Mark

I apologize in advance to the "Vietnamese purists" that are dwelling in this thread!

Google Translate = ẩn chương trình nghị sự                                                                         

In English:

Hidden = secret

Agenda = plan

Ulterior motives are the same as hidden agendas.  For example, if I wanted something for organizing this, but I don't tell anyone, then I would have a "hidden agenda". I don't have one, I'm just curious(how many will come?) and happy to be teaching in Vietnam.  I have a good life here and just wanted to try to help a few people, if possible.

A group of people can have a plan, such as trying to get Buddhists to convert to Christianity by opening a place for the Buddhists, or anyone who isn't a Christian already, to practice their English, that would be a hidden agenda.

A plan like that could also include luring innocent and unsuspecting English teachers (me) to a coffee shop that they own, to work as a volunteer teacher.  Then, if the teacher keeps coming back(like I did), more people may come, which would give them more people to try and convert to their religion.

So, what's a hidden agenda?

Thank you for helping me. Now I can understand more clearly the meaning of hidden agenda. But I still have one more question. If somebody have a problem ( for example: health,...) that they don't want to be known, but they still want to join the club, is this situation considered hidden agenda?.

Hi Teacher Mark,

I just found out about your thread and I have to say its brilliant (after reading a ton of replies :D). May I ask you a few questions?

-Im not a student any more so would this make me disqualified for your English club?

-The class will begin every Sunday at 1pm as I seen. But when will it finish? Because Im in the middle of jobs at the moment but guess Im gonna be back to work soon for what I saw in the last interview bla bla bla. Anyway the point is Im working in tourism so the schedule might be messy :) Can I be late or turn up at the middle of the class??

Finally I didnt have opportunity to attend a class organized or held by a native teacher when I was a student so your idea on this club, or whatever you call it, is just FANTASTIC.

Thank you for your great effort and your reply. I appreciate it!

Thanh

Thank you for helping me. Now I can understand more clearly the meaning of hidden agenda. But I still have one more question. If somebody have a problem ( for example: health,...) that they don't want to be known, but they still want to join the club, is this situation considered hidden agenda?.

No, that would be personal information that they don't care to share!  There's no reward for them, so no hidden agendas, or ulterior motives are involved.

ThanhTDK wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark,

I just found out about your thread and I have to say its brilliant (after reading a ton of replies :D). May I ask you a few questions?

-Im not a student any more so would this make me disqualified for your English club?

-The class will begin every Sunday at 1pm as I seen. But when will it finish? Because Im in the middle of jobs at the moment but guess Im gonna be back to work soon for what I saw in the last interview bla bla bla. Anyway the point is Im working in tourism so the schedule might be messy :) Can I be late or turn up at the middle of the class??

Finally I didnt have opportunity to attend a class organized or held by a native teacher when I was a student so your idea on this club, or whatever you call it, is just FANTASTIC.

Thank you for your great effort and your reply. I appreciate it!

Thanh

Thanh,

1.)  Anyone is welcome to attend, not only students.

2.)  You can come, or go, at any time.

and

3.)  You're welcome.

Have a great holiday weekend. Hope to see you on the 9th.

[Moderated]

Give it a break Amber.