Considering a move

Hi all,

This question has probably been posted countless times, but here we go. We are a family of four currently living in Australia (but from UK). We moved here last year but had not anticipated the massive cost of living. My partner is a civil engineer and considering applying for a job in Jeddah. Obviously, he may not even get an interview but we're looking into options as we made big financial mistakes coming to Oz. IF (big IF) he applies and is successful the wage would be 45,000 sar per month, but I would return to the UK and come out with the children regularly. On tis wage, would it be possible to maintain a home (bills etc) in UK and his accommodation in Jeddah? I appreciate this is a difficult question as there are so many variables, but just a rough idea for us to investigate things further. Thanks!

That would be a super wage here if housing were supplied and all of you lived in Saudia.  I can't really answer your question because I don't know your cost of living in the UK. 

Maybe if you tallied up the cost of living there, added it to what you have an idea cost of living is here ... and subtract it from the 45,000SAR, you'll have a general idea (but seriously, if the contract here includes housing, he'll be able to save 40,000SAR a month--there's really nothing to spend money on.  Your major cost would be the airfare back and forth).

I didn't realize Oz was so expensive so thanks for the information and best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Thank you! I think from the advert that he'd have to find accommodation or that the wage is inclusive of accommodation - as that was the whole 'package' deal. Thanks for the advice though. I'm just a little reluctant to live in Saudi with children as I think the heat would just be too much. I think it would be a great experience for my partner for a short while though. Thanks again - just have to apply, be interviewed etc etc now, but always good to do some preliminary research! I take it that flats are around five thousand SAR per month from what you say? And yes, Australia is very expensive - well, we have found it to be so on our particular visa anyway. Thanks so much for the reply, I know nothing of Saudi so it's really appreciated.

Helen321 wrote:

Thank you! I think from the advert that he'd have to find accommodation or that the wage is inclusive of accommodation - as that was the whole 'package' deal. Thanks for the advice though. I'm just a little reluctant to live in Saudi with children as I think the heat would just be too much. I think it would be a great experience for my partner for a short while though. Thanks again - just have to apply, be interviewed etc etc now, but always good to do some preliminary research! I take it that flats are around five thousand SAR per month from what you say? And yes, Australia is very expensive - well, we have found it to be so on our particular visa anyway. Thanks so much for the reply, I know nothing of Saudi so it's really appreciated.

How old are your kids?  This is actually a wonderful place for families (as long as the kids are young--if they're teenagers, forget it).  But if you  bring kids, you have to made sure that the company will pay for their schooling because this is a huge expense.

The heat is only bad in the summer months and what happens then, it seems, is that the world is turned upside down!  The children here sleep during the day and, on my compound, are out in the playground at midnight lol  Also, of course, there's air-conditioning and on good compounds, swimming pools.  I wouldn't let the idea of the heat influence you :)

They're 2 and 6. We should look into things more maybe, but thanks for the schooling tip!

Don't be afraid to come here, especially since you indicated your husband wouldn't be staying long.  It will be a unique experience you could never replicate any place in the world.

Best of luck!

Accommodation would possibly be more than SR5000 a month depending on where you/partner might live,although the package sounds like it either includes it or gives you an allowance. As a family of 4 we spend around SR7000 a month on food/restaurants/driver etc (living) - our major expenses are airfares out of here!

I would agree with Alliecat - consider coming here - my kids are 4 and 8 and it is great. The compound has a pool - they stay inside during the day and play in the late afternoon/early evening. There are plenty of expats, it is very social and the inconveniences of not driving and the abeya really just require getting used to.

The only problem might be that you refer to your 'partner' not husband, you would not be able to come here (your kids would be able to, but not you) - even to visit on holiday - if you are not married. The government would not grant you a visit/entry visa.

Good luck!

Ooooh, thank you! If he gets the job it's a quick trip to the registry office for us then!

I agree with the advice, on that wage you could have a fantastic lifestyle here and still manage to secure your future elsewhere / back in the UK.

My advice would be to ensure, if he is successful, that you go through the contract with a fine tooth comb. Plenty of info and advice here and elsewhere.

It is likely he will be here for 3 or so months alone to start with so you would need to make accommodations for that. I would also be expecting the company to find accommodation for you on a good compound as these can be a little difficult to secure at a good rate...and as others have stated, allow for school fees.

I have been here a year now and love Jeddah,

SAR45,000 is at the lower end of the wage bracket for a British civil engineer. He should expect SAR50,000-55,000 if he has 20 years experience(unless he gets flights and bonus on top).

I'm in construction and on that sort of money and being here takes about 25% of my salary, the rest is saved, or in your case spent back home.

So the question is, based on his SAR45,000 can you and the kids live on 5,000 sterling a month? Bear in mind if he has to buy flights I guess he'd need about 4 a year and they would cost about SAR4,000 each in cattle class.

Thankyou for all the advice! It's really appreciated as we know very little of Saudi. Just one other thing - will any salary be subject to UK tax? Thanks again.

no Tax in Saudi Arabia

stc wrote:

no Tax in Saudi Arabia

She said UK tax. 

That gets a little tricky, Helen, so I'll leave it for a Brit to answer!

In general you are not liable for UK income tax if you are registered as a non UK resident for tax purposes. But you need to get professional advice on this i.e. in your case he will be sending money home to UK residents (you and the kids), you may be working or between you you may have investment income generated from the UK which could change the matter.

I also believe the law regarding the period (nominally) spent out of the country has changed in recent years. Previously the above was true if you spent one year away (less time allowable for vacations in back in UK). I think this is now 1 tax year otherwise you are liable to pay back all the tax on your earnings. i.e. If he spent from May 2012 - March 2014 in KSA he may be liable for tax on his return to UK as he has not spent a tax year out of the UK.

Again... get professional advice first.

[Moderated: No free advertisement please]

well, this is a good offer, i think u can manage to pay ur bills here and in uk and will be able to save some money

good luck

nikkisizer wrote:

[Moderated: No free advertisement please]

Ooops sorry!

I didn't realise, noted for the future.

Kind regards

Thank you all. Lots to consider, great having a site such as this where people can speak to others who have been there, done it etc. Thanks again.