Pls help me cut down my grocery shopping bill

Hi everyone,

So we did some grocery shopping and have to say that I was pretty freaked out by our bill. Our grocery bill is more than what it is in the States. I shopped at HyperPanda. Is there a cheaper store? I did't buy junk foods, staple stuff that I normally have to buy weekly.  My bill was 1200 Riyals. 

Can someone give me tips on how I can get this cut down. Is there a market for cheap fresh fruits/veggies etc? I can buy in bulk, peel, and freeze if that would help save money.

Any other food bill saving tips?

thanks !

"Panda" ets the cheapest supermarket as i think , i am usually doing my grocery shopping at "Danob" because et contains the most of the products we used to get at home , but ets pretty expensive than "Panda" , and believe me "Panda" is the best in the vegetables special offers , and about the personal care products that consumes the biggest part of the bills, i know some places which provide better prices then "Panda" if you want to.
so enjoy your time and have a great day.

myyams wrote:

Hi everyone,

So we did some grocery shopping and have to say that I was pretty freaked out by our bill. Our grocery bill is more than what it is in the States. I shopped at HyperPanda. Is there a cheaper store? I did't buy junk foods, staple stuff that I normally have to buy weekly.  My bill was 1200 Riyals. 

Can someone give me tips on how I can get this cut down. Is there a market for cheap fresh fruits/veggies etc? I can buy in bulk, peel, and freeze if that would help save money.

Any other food bill saving tips?

thanks !

CareFour is also cheap. It is located in this location (Just type in GoogleMaps [+21° 30' 35.98", +39° 14' 40.76"]. They have some very nice and fresh products with more affordable prices.

I do not like HyperPanda, as their return policy is offensive.

Danube is also nice. It is located in the same street (King Abdullah Road) heading west toward the sea. There are actually lots of branches available.

There is one I used to shop at when I was a child. It is called Al-Raya. It may not have a variaty in selection of fruites/vegetables as the previous mentioned supermarket, but it delivers a very good quality fruites. My two favorite locations are [+21° 35' 46.61", +39° 11' 0.49"] and [+21° 34' 47.35", +39° 9' 46.87"].

If you are looking to buy in bulks, I suggest you visit Souq Al-Kkhodra (or vegetables market), where you would find people selling their own imported/produced fruites and vegetables. It is much cheaper than supermarkets, but you would not get the as good quality. It is located here [+21° 35' 27.90", +39° 13' 15.36"]. Prices greatly depend on seasons. I should advice you to be aware that the place is primitive and is not clean. The unpleasant smell scented 1/2-mile away. Here you could actually negotiate the price, and I prefer never to get the first offer. I would, say, ask for 20% less than the first offered price, or 0.8*P. There are people that will offer you to carry your purchased goods on carts for you. Negotiate the price first. I usually give them 5-10 SAR, depending on how long I shop.

As to advices:

1- Buy in packs.
2- Freeze those that could be frozen
3- Buy those you need or really desire.
4- Share with another family the expenses and quantity (1/2-1/2, etc.).
5- Know the store you are shopping at. Stores offering one good cheaper than others tend to have other goods at higher prices. You could also ask other families.
6- Look up those on sales (Works in Carrefour, and sometimes in Danube).
7- Buy local Fruites, vegetables and herbs. Imported produces are usually more expensive than local ones.
8- Sometimes ones on sale are those in season or near expiration, so watch out for quality.
9- Buy raw. Processed produces are almost always more expensive. Peeled fruited and cut ones are more expensive than unprocessed ones. Salted, heated, and cheese mixed pistachios are more expensive than raw ones. You could always do the mixing and processing yourself as you please.
10- Optimize. I would not try to economize too much, especially on basic needs, such as food and medicine.

All the best of Regards,

You may go to Grocery Market(Halagat al khodar) where they bring all vegs and fruits directly from farms and port. It is much cheaper there than any super or hyper markets, but the question is; can you have the gut to go there? :D

I agree with La-boom Halagat al khodar is the best place and fruits and vegetables are much cheaper than Hypermarkets. I really like it

Isnt there a LULU @ Jeddah ?? If its there, Then I guess thats the best bet !!

By the way there is also a very economic supermarket named Matjar Al Mustahlek (The consumer's Store)I heard that prices there is super good.

saimans wrote:

Isnt there a LULU @ Jeddah ?? If its there, Then I guess thats the best bet !!

saimans, I LOVE lulu but I never considered it to be cheap!  I mean not expensive but not cheap.

How does Euromarche line up--cheap or expensive?

I think you must have a careful look at your bill as the first thing. I'm sure there are a few items in there with crazy prices. Just track them down. The difference in prices in various grocery stores is not huge and going to anywhere else will just help you save max 50/60 SAR on a 1,200 bill.

Some stores (e.g., Euromarche) have customer loyalty programs that will let you get straight discounts of 5-10% on your bill total.

I don't think I have ever seen Euoromarche in Jeddah, you have it only in Riyadh.

thanks everyone.. and someone on facebook told me about a fruit and veggie market in Safa. For household items, someone told me to go to Al Shatee.   I hope we can get the bill down.

We don't mind paying what we have to, but I just want to make sure we're not paying too high of prices. And yes we did have some household items on there which accounted for much of the extra bill. I think I was a little stunned =)

you didnt tell us the valuable info
how many people

me and my wife spend maybe 250-350 a week in food.

Ooh God , i have been to "Halaka Kodar" in "Safa" with my friend who didn't recommend et on the beginning, but i have insisted to discover et, and really, et was the worst place i have ever been to, et's just ridiculous, i had no place to park my car in, and when i found one, someone scratched et, and the place was overcrowded and full of craps and i am sorry, i will not comment on the smell there.
Wot is wrong with this place ??!!
This place, i am Highly Not Recommend et at all to any one , and if you ignore and decide to discover, just like me :( , you will have to face the consequences :|
thanks a lot and have a great day.

Dr.Rex wrote:

Ooh God , i have been to "Halaka Kodar" in "Safa" with my friend who didn't recommend et on the beginning, but i have insisted to discover et, and really, et was the worst place i have ever been to, et's just ridiculous, i had no place to park my car in, and when i found one, someone scratched et, and the place was overcrowded and full of craps and i am sorry, i will not comment on the smell there.
Wot is wrong with this place ??!!
This place, i am Highly Not Recommend et at all to any one , and if you ignore and decide to discover, just like me :( , you will have to face the consequences :|
thanks a lot and have a great day.

:lol: I havent been there for years, but though I dont think it is that bad, maybe you were not in the mood that day or your luck wasn't :D

We are 7 people:  2 adults, 5 kids.  7 to 5 months old age range. I didn't buy diapers that day lol

DR. Relax I think you don't need halakat alkhodar because you live alone but for the biggest family I think they do  need to go their cuz it more cheap and they have fresh vegetables. :)

myyams wrote:

We are 7 people:  2 adults, 5 kids.  7 to 5 months old age range. I didn't buy diapers that day lol

God bless you and your family, but 5 kids is big number for an american family!, are you Mormon?

LOL we're not mormons.  Yes we are atypical I think. But, 5 isn't thaaaaat bad though.

myyams wrote:

LOL we're not mormons.  Yes we are atypical I think. But, 5 isn't thaaaaat bad though.

I didn't say it is bad, actually this number is normal in the Middle East, but for your culture it is considered a number :)

la-boom wrote:
myyams wrote:

I didn't say it is bad, actually this number is normal in the Middle East, but for your culture it is considered a number :)

You kidding?  This number is LOW for the Middle East :P

Alliecat wrote:
la-boom wrote:
myyams wrote:

It is considered as an avg not "low"!!! Who are you hanging out with in Saudi!!!????

You have allot of misconceptions, your software needs a format and reinstall :)

la-boom wrote:

IT knowledge can't stay in hideout for long.

http://www.oocities.org/roberthajamers/voodoo_dolls/voodoo_wicca_clipart_candle.gif to MICROSOFT

Don't buy imported goods! Try some local goods as alternative which are almost same quality but at a cheaper price! :)

la-boom wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
la-boom wrote:

It is considered as an avg not "low"!!! Who are you hanging out with in Saudi!!!????

I know a Saudi guy whose father had two wives and he has 23 brothers and sisters!!  Others I know whose fathers had only one wife have 9-10-11 siblings.

So I do NOT have 'misconceptions' :P

Alliecat wrote:
la-boom wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

I know a Saudi guy whose father had two wives and he has 23 brothers and sisters!!  Others I know whose fathers had only one wife have 9-10-11 siblings.

So I do NOT have 'misconceptions' :P

There is a science called Statistic, and it has methods and theories to choose the samples in a "scientific" manners.. Not just to take ppl I know and apply my analysis and numbers!! Your case is worset than I thought :cool:

Actually la-boom we have the same opinion, some expats here when they came, they have trusted the wrong people instead of the good people, who made them change their basics , ideologies , manners and gave them totally wrong data base to live with, which made them out of mind , not trusting anyone , not helpful for their colleagues and treat anyone aggressively , of course this will effect the community badly when they return back home and this is general, not just for progeny matter only.

I only can speak of the things I personally *know* about.  Have I done extensive research?  No.  Never claimed to.  Actually, I don't think anybody here has.  We share our *own* knowledge and experience.  If my experience doesn't match boom's 'statistics,'  so be it.  I will give him the courtesy of not requiring him to quote sources lol  but I stand by my statements regarding family size in KSA according to my experience.

THAT said, however, it must be noted that the times they are a changin'!  The cities are experiencing growth and large families are economically problematic so families are becoming smaller in an urban environment.  But in past generations?  People who are now in their 20's, 30's, 40's almost always come from *large* families.

Dr Rex - appreciate your open mind.

Alicat - typical stereotype expat mind.

la-boom wrote:

Insult me all you want--it's a reflection on you, not me.

Interesting that you consider yourself so superior in an EXPAT forum.

Alliecat wrote:

I only can speak of the things I personally *know* about.  Have I done extensive research?  No.  Never claimed to.  Actually, I don't think anybody here has.  We share our *own* knowledge and experience.  If my experience doesn't match boom's 'statistics,'  so be it.  I will give him the courtesy of not requiring him to quote sources lol  but I stand by my statements regarding family size in KSA according to my experience.

That IS s statistical sampling technique called 'convenience' or 'accidental' sampling. Though as human brain is designed to take notice of unusual cases more than of the norms, there are high risks of concluding on fallacies.

The number of factors supporting your point, Allie, are enormous and strong enough; such as polygamy  (and religious support for it), good economy, lack of other activities (:P).

Will love to know of references to other more sophisticated sampling technique results (e.g., systematic or stratified) as I too believe none exists.

You considered this to be insult??? Sorry wasn't my intention, I was just stating a fact that you are judging ppl and country based on limited exposure to view ppl and limited experince around you then generalizing to whole nation.

la-boom wrote:

You considered this to be insult??? Sorry wasn't my intention, I was just stating a fact that you are judging ppl and country based on limited exposure to view ppl and limited experince around you then generalizing to whole nation.

How can making a comment about FAMILY SIZE be considered judging? Is having a large family a *bad* thing, in your opinion?  I made a comment, not judgement, for one thing.  And my comment was based on information gleaned from daily chats with Saudi colleagues over the course of three years, so it wasn't exactly 'limited exposure.'

For another thing, saying "Alicat - typical stereotype expat mind" cannot be taken for anything OTHER than an insult so don't try to back-peddle out of it now.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

The number of factors supporting your point, Allie, are enormous and strong enough; such as polygamy  (and religious support for it), good economy, lack of other activities (:P).

Excellent points--as well as a tradition of large families in agrarian/animal herding based societies.

Dear alliecat - I was born and raised up in this country so I believe I know better than you who had 3 to 4 years living experience here, so pls don't argue with that.

I prefer to close this subject as it is getting harsh an nasty.

Thanks,

la-boom wrote:

So, whoever supports you irrespective of any logic is 'open mind'. And others would be stereotypes? Guess who's is getting judgemental (and insulting)?

TheLegendLeads wrote:
la-boom wrote:

So, whoever supports you irrespective of any logic is 'open mind'. And others would be stereotypes? Guess who's is getting judgemental (and insulting)?

:one

la-boom wrote:

Dear alliecat - I was born and raised up in this country so I believe I know better than you who had 3 to 4 years living experience here, so pls don't argue with that.

I prefer to close this subject as it is getting harsh an nasty.

Thanks,

my dear la-boom, this is an EXPAT forum.  So to insult ME for being an expat is to insult everybody for whom this blog is intended.

As for 'harsh an nasty,' only person doing any name-calling is YOU.  I think you prefer to close because, due to TLL's intelligent rationale, you have no come-back.

guys, we are here to discus about the life, to help each other and also to exchange our experiences. Alliecat & TheLegendLeads  don't be upset, la-boom doesn't mean anything as teacher for second language I can understand that non native people could say something in Improper way but he doesn't mean to insulted anyone, he tried to describe his point of view. 

have a good day

Nice of you to be the peacemaker, nanassh, but his language is good enough to fully know he was insulting me. 

However, this appears to be over because while he thought he could bulldoze me, he didn't know how to dispute TheLegendLeads's clear thinking.

Right on, Alliecat!  Hey, I'm still raising my eyebrows to la-boom asking the OP if she's Mormon just because she has 5 children, but he then goes on to blast you with an accusation of stereotyping. Yep.