Without a car in Penang

We are moving form Bangkok to Penang.  We will not have a car and have not had one for 6 months in Bangkok.  We use the monorail system A LOT in Bangkok.  We don't want to get a car.  We are looking at the Persiaran Gurney area, as it is close to Tenby International school and has an ocean view.  Any help on best apartment buildings and best area to live without a car
...I love to walk but 5 minutes to grocery store would be ideal.

Hi mommoves!

Welcome to Expat.com!
Hope your query will find answers soon.

Regards
Armand

Hi Mommoves,

Staying in Penang and not having a car is going to be difficult. Only the capital, Kuala Lumpur has extensive monorail network. In penang there's none, at all.

Buying or renting a apartment in Persiaran Gurney (or Gurney Drive) is not going to be cheap. It is ridiculously over priced as it is a commercial area and tourist attraction.
Refer to the link below to apartment pricing/rental:
mudah.my/li?fs=1&ca=3_s&th=1&q=Persiaran+gurney&cg=2020&w=103&st=a

My advice is to get a car and to stay somewhere around Greenlane area. It is less expensive compared to Persiaran Gurney. Its about 10 minutes drive to persiaran gurney and there's alot of place to shop around Greenlane. Do take note, traffic can get nasty in Penang during the peak hours ie 0700~0900hrs and 1700~1900hrs.

Hope this helps.

i m agree what Ramkumar had said.I m from penang.
Is going to be difficult that no having car at penang although that is a lot Taxi around Gurney area.
Is better had a car

Hi Mommoves.
If you want to be near Tenby School, you are looking in the wrong area with Gurney Drive condos. They are way overpriced and geared to wealthy retirees. You would be better off looking in the Tanjung Tokong and Tanjung Bungha areas. The rent is much cheaper, Cold Storage grocery store is nearby and everything is easily accessible by bus or a cheap taxi ride. I live in Tanjung Tokong and some of my neighbors teach at Tenby. It is very convenient for them. Here are some really good condo complexes that you might be interested in: The Brezza, Tanjung Park Condo, Fettes Residences and Leisure Bay Condo. You can walk to the grocery store, banks, clinics, bus stop etc. in less than 5 minutes. Check them out apartment-penang.com
Good luck.

Please check out my blog ifoundmalaysia.com