Connecting Internet and compare to speeds in Australia

Hello Fellow Expats,

I have just moved from Australia to Vietnam (HCMC) and am looking to connect internet.

There are quite a few different pricing however what I'm not sure about is in Australia it's advertised as ADSL2+ which is 24Mbs where as the fastest ADSL here appears to be 5Mbs - has anyone experienced internet speeds in Vietnam or is it better to go Fiber which is more comparable to the claimed speed in Australia.

Real world in Australia is about 8Mbs for (claimed 24Mbs) so I'm not sure if the real world speed here in Vietnam is the same as the claim speed of 5Mbs.

Any suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated on getting the right speed - the faster the better.

I've looked at FPT, VNPT and Viettel and pricing are similar however if I want to go fiber with 20MB the price sky rockets. I want to get the right one as I understand it's a 12 or 15 month contract. Also as I'm only renting this place for a short period (6 months) can I disconnect the internet and transfer the contract to a new rental place?

Thanks for your assistance.

Get your landlord to install it.
I've got a mixture of fibre and adsl installed in various locations. Primary at my main home location is adsl and aside from usual lag at peak times its good enough for most things. Streaming is ok download is fast enough etc.
I don't do much online gaming but if that's your bag go fibre as long as its within reach.

Like many ISP's in other countries they are liars when it comes to speed.

I have commercial and residential connections both here in TP HCM and TP BMT and my BT connections are often faster.

Much of TP HCM is fibre now, if you want cheap fibre from VNPT order IP TV, they will charge you VND2,000,000 into your premises from the street and also order InterNet.

The problem is not the drops into the houses or the washing lines they run along the street but the Central Office equipment.

Don't bother with cable TV WAN as most systems fail when there is a power cut - they don't back up their street amplifier power.

FPT has variable service, too. Parts of the city have monopoly suppliers such as FPT only serves Phu My Hung.

VNPT has a 8MBS service (unlimited)) going for around VND1,000,000 / month but it runs slow in the evenings and weekends. Over night it actually hits the promised speeds after around 23.00H until around 07.00H.

If you want VNPT, take your passport/visa, telephone number  of your apartment (if any) and the mailing address from an envelope and go to their office on Nguyen Du, Q1. Ask for Trang or Hue, they both speak English and will explain everything to you.

Hi Laidbackfreak,

Thanks for that, use is mainly streaming, not really online gaming. Do you mind me asking who you are with?

thanks

Jaitch wrote:

Like many ISP's in other countries they are liars when it comes to speed.

I have commercial and residential connections both here in TP HCM and TP BMT and my BT connections are often faster.

Much of TP HCM is fibre now, if you want cheap fibre from VNPT order IP TV, they will charge you VND2,000,000 into your premises from the street and also order InterNet.

The problem is not the drops into the houses or the washing lines they run along the street but the Central Office equipment.

Don't bother with cable TV WAN as most systems fail when there is a power cut - they don't back up their street amplifier power.

FPT has variable service, too. Parts of the city have monopoly suppliers such as FPT only serves Phu My Hung.

VNPT has a 8MBS service (unlimited)) going for around VND1,000,000 / month but it runs slow in the evenings and weekends. Over night it actually hits the promised speeds after around 23.00H until around 07.00H.

If you want VNPT, take your passport/visa, telephone number  of your apartment (if any) and the mailing address from an envelope and go to their office on Nguyen Du, Q1. Ask for Trang or Hue, they both speak English and will explain everything to you.

Thanks Daitch, sounds like I should go fiber for stability and speed during peak times as it's probably the time I use the internet the most. Do you mind me asking how much you pay a month and is there a download limit for fiber?

Hi Jaitch,

I really appriciate you about understand and searcher about ADSL in Vietnam but I think it would be difficult if you hire by yourself because contract time is around 6 months or 1 year and as you said that it is possible to change accommodation therefore you should ask your landlord, if he can offer you should move because in HMC there are many rental rooms for foreigner you could find one is suitable for you

Great time,
Wendy

WendyNguyen wrote:

Hi Jaitch,

I really appriciate you about understand and searcher about ADSL in Vietnam but I think it would be difficult if you hire by yourself because contract time is around 6 months or 1 year and as you said that it is possible to change accommodation therefore you should ask your landlord, if he can offer you should move because in HMC there are many rental rooms for foreigner you could find one is suitable for you

Great time,
Wendy

Something is on it, true, we had also an office for only 3 month as temp residence, as they do not "move" lines/logins, they just made a new one, twice. There no no connection charges, just a tip for the "cable guy".

Yes.. sometime in VN tip helps you something in short but any ways I think most you should hire office or room available internet access, TV cable.. in other time

Wendy

l3ully wrote:
WendyNguyen wrote:

Hi Jaitch,

Great time,
Wendy

Something is on it, true, we had also an office for only 3 month as temp residence, as they do not "move" lines/logins, they just made a new one, twice. There no no connection charges, just a tip for the "cable guy".

WendyNguyen wrote:

Hi Jaitch,

Great time,
Wendy

Dealing with VNPT is a breeze no deposit just your passport  visa /permits. I have had service for only two months then I moved because of the street scene. There is no minimum contract period with VNPT. FPT is different which is why I don't do business with them.

All I did was to visit their office a couple of days before the end of the month and pay the bill and sign a termination notice.

I refer to have relationships between myself and suppliers. The only pain in the *rse are the deadheads at EVN. But they don't care as all they want is cash.

I pay water direct, along with cable TV. This helps people build up credit records with these suppliers which becomes more useful as VN adopts more procedures from the West like credit reference bureaus.

The most critical thing is locating the exact mailing address (even from a neighbour) or even the old telephone number as their circuit reference system is not very good.

snypster wrote:

Thanks Jaitch, sounds like I should go fiber for stability and speed during peak times as it's probably the time I use the internet the most. Do you mind me asking how much you pay a month and is there a download limit for fiber?

You shouldn't worry about what cable they use to service you, you are ordering a service speed and if they don't meet it simply complain.

Just like gas / petrol - does it make any difference if it's refined in VN or shipped in All you want is 93 or 95 proof gas without water in it.

Ditto water. Where / how it arrives at your tap is really immaterial as long as it comes. Besides the speed problem isn't in the CO (Cenral Office) >> house cabling, the problem is in the CO.

I'll give you an example. I have a weekend place out of BMT in DakLak where our InterNet feed from the community access node. It is effectively a remote controlled InterNet (and telephone) access unit. It sits between the very high speed fibre from way, way down the highway and provides service as instructed from the remote control. I can easily get a solid 20MBS signal if I pay for it. This is way out of the city, remember. The reason is that all the subscriber control equipment is new whereas TP HCM equipment is old and slow. So forget about the cable.

Order the highest service, then in month 2 knock it down to 8MBS/VND1,000,000. They will condition the line for the first, higher speed.

IPTV is a 20MBS service and they really run fibre into you accommodation. The fact that you take IPTV out the next month won't change the fact you have fibre, they aren't about to remove because you paid VND2,000,000

thanks for all your help guys. I went down to VNPT today, filled out some forms, gave them a copy of the my passport, paid 1,100,000 VND for connection service and I'll be connected up by the end of this week.

I paid for fiber, 12MB download limit at 650,000VND per month, only draw back is that there may be drop outs but thought I'd try this cause the next level up is 30Mbs download limit for 1,800,000 per month. I can upgrade if the lower bad width doesn't work. Good thing about this is that there is no lock in contract.

snypster wrote:

... the next level up is 30Mbs download limit for 1,800,000 per month....

The highest variable IP service is B-MBS unlimited is VND990,000 per month. They will also give you a free printout of your usage (ask Trang at Nguyen Du).

Billing is a little iffy because of lousy mail service. Find out from VNPT what their name is for you (Bella 2xxx)). If you get the invoice it can be apid at any Buu Dien (post office).

Unless fibre is already installed in your accommodation there is a VND2,200,000 charge to ru fibre in. I suspect your 'fibre' connection will have two copper wires if you weren't billed.