Healthcare in Ethiopia

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Ethiopia ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Ethiopia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

The federal government provides healthcare to citizens.  by law resident are titled to free healthcare.  But, there are a number of hospitals in Addis (owned by the government)  and they are very very crowded by locals.  I am not sure if you as expat can able to befit from it.  Even if you are it is not something you will enjoy.  Addis is full of small clinics and private hospitals, as far as I know there is no insurance system to visit the private hospitals/ clinics. you pay cash.  best to take all your shots before you go and take some basic medication with you.

Thank you tbayou for your help :)

Aurélie

I am looking for phd programme in life science in Addisababa. can u help me in look out some good university or help me out for searching job in microbiology.

Hi Julien

i am in health care service. my advise is to go private and you have to shop around for the care , who the doctor is and the cleanness of the hospital e.t.c.

good luck
hirut

well, healthcare in Ethiopia is work in progress. Currently,it is not worthwhile to have Et based health insurance. This is b/c the basic health services that you may use is actually very cheap and poor quality. So for any complicated medical needs you just need to excite Ethiopia. The only good health facility in Ethiopia is called Swedish Clinic. The problem is it will be closed as of the end of December, but there is hope another Clinic similar to that one will take over the operation and similar services will continue. As far as the differences bet gov and private health Care services, the gov is for the poorest of the poorest, no other major differences. And yes, in the private generally no waiting for medical attention or treatment.  Hope this helps
A

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

No decent healthcare.  Even private hospitals are busy (patients bring their extended families which adds to the overcrowding) and don't use the bathrooms or you will want to walk out.  Even if you have international evacuation insurance don't rely on it, the air ambulance may not even be allowed to land.  Medications are often out of stock and limited vaccinations so get up to date with your shots before you get here.  Have the Yellow Fever shot just in case you're ever in a Medevac situation to Nairobi as you will need it for immigration.  On a positive it's a great place of routine check ups, you can walk into some good laboratories and have all the tests imaginable, or go for a check up package at the American Medical Center, once you have the information you want then leave the country for any follow up.

I have had only two experiences of using Ethiopia's health care system.  One was at the public General Hospital in Megenagna where I had to have some tests done. It was a bit crowded but the service was cheap and efficient and the test results were ready in an hour. I requested counselling and the Dr.willingly took a few minutes of his time to answer my questions.

The second experience was at the Gizaw Higher Clinic in Shashemene where I needed a medical done for employment purposes. It took a little while to figure out the procedures and where on the compound to go to have what done.The process included an electrocardiogram. Once again, I was satisfied with the thoroughness and the price and surprised by the sophistication.