Volunteer opportunities

Hi everyone,

I just moved to KL from Canada the weeks ago. My husband got a job here so he is busy during the day.  I am used to working and making good user my time, and while I enjoy this less hectic life, I would like to do a little more with my time.

If anyone knows of a volunteer organization and/or job opportunities that would be amazing! I have a business analyst/project management background.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

ZAS.

See Job street I am sure you will get something.

Hello Zas and welcome to Expat.com.

Concerning your job search, you can try to post an advert in the Jobs in Kuala Lumpur section. It can be useful.

Good luck,
Aurélie

Hi Zab,

You could have a look on jenjobs to.
For a place as volunteer, the zoo negara or the museum negara looks for volunteers. For the museum if you are interested you have to contact them now cause they are planing the next training to be volunteer.

Alexandra
www.followusinkl.canalblog.com

The company I work with do take part-timers. We are not a volunteer organization and the day pay is not that high but you get to travel a bit. You need to share your age range for me to see is there anything else suitable for you.

Hi it is worth noting that even volunteer work requires a work permit a point often forgotten

However as your husband has a work permit you should be on a long term visit visa and with that you now don't need a work permit but permission to work from immigration. But most employers have no idea about this as new (2010) and many have reported being told you can't even by immigration staff (never believe what one person tells you in Malaysia)

So you can get a paid job or volunteer work legally but you may find employers especially fretting over work permit issues whenthat isn't an issue for them - you need an offer letter plus contract and take to immigration. NOT dealt with by the employment pass division

The main reason why expat wives in the past - many well qualified/experienced - ended up shopping and boozing (really!) while here was the work permit (employment pass) issue!

So go forth and find a job just expect an argument about permits

Check job street as someone has pointed out above. there are myriads of opportunities there